Any advice to keep poachers off your land?

thunnus

Spot lighting around here around this time of year is bad, to many driving around spot lighting Yes it does make the deer less likely to stand there, yes it does force them to change there patterns if it done a lot to them. The sun does not trouble them because its natural, sun is not talking or yelling look look or worse shooting out a window at them. The other thing that happens is if a spot lighter does see a piebald or albino, or trophy buck the area gets hit twice as hard by hunters hoping to kill it, also has lead to poaching by some. Word spreads in the country, when I see I big buck I'am on to you bet its me me mine mine because I worked hard for that deer, food plots, etc.. Scouting the right way on foot reading sign patterning the big boy, tree stand placement wind direction and doe bedding area to get close to shoot him. If he leaves my hunting area so be it, if someone poaches him or drives in and out to "push" the area by trespassing you bet it piss's people off. That's why more and more people are posting property because a few a$$clowns ruin it.

If poaching & trespassing are in fact occurring, one way to spread the "news" that you mean business is to visit the local coffee spot/diner/restaurant and talk casually about your "problem" and how you are working with local law enforcement and DEC and that you've handed over trail cam pictures and video footage to them. There are always a few folks in each town who seem to "know" a little about everything and can't wait to tell someone about it....

Whichever your situation, good luck to you.

Elmo ...no disrespect but that make no scense to me...if the deer at the end of the night have moed to privatelands thenthose are usually what there night runs would be made up of...then at dawn they'd be moving back tothe daily routine....Well that is what I see here and the pressure here with several ppl from every property being a hunter and of that 90% both bow and gun

After putting some pressure on the deer the first few weeks of October at a spot [edit: food source] I've been hitting up, the deer aren't coming around anymore.  I've sat sun up to sun down.  I've spotted some deer deeper into the public land but I have seen a few in the private properties.  I'm trying to figure out if it's worth hitting this same spot.  If all the deer has gone into private property and gone nocturnal then it's time to move on to my plan B locations.

Edited by Elmo
  • Like 1

Also, while on legal topics.  What's the law on keeping a firearm in the vehicle when bow hunting?  If let's say I want to bow hunt in the morning and then drive to another location and pheasant/small game hunt in the afternoon?  I know it's illegal to carry a firearm when bowhunting but is there a law against having it in your car, locked and unloaded?

OK so I am going to split the hair on this one for I read the entire post which included

The game..... though being state "owned" as it were..... is actually essentially his yours or mine as long as it is on our posted properties. To do with as we please with in legal confines...this said.... in that posted land precludes anyone from doing the same  until  those animals leave our properties...so for how ever breif a period it may be.... they are our game on our lands...

So does this mean that if one of your deer run into the road off your property and get hit by a car you should pay the bill not the insurance? Especially if you own both sides of the road that would mean your deer was just moveing from one part of your property to another.

I like to spotlight for deer and have no problem when someone spotlights my property as long as it isn't my yard or house. It does not disturb the deer I have seen many deer pick up there and look when light hits them and then go back to feeding or be laying in field and never do more then turn there head. If they are disturbed and run from the light that means there has been more then spotlighting going on and they know it.

First that statement was made in context of SHOOTING DEER while on my property...which not legal when it is posted private property...

Secondly because as you put it "MY" deer they once step foot off my property are fair game and even though I own both sides of the road I Do not Own the road...any hyperthetical liability ends at the culvert ditch...but seeing we are on that train..... because the State, as I had said in the original post,own the deer.  While they are on my land I am not allowed by state law to confine them there...the answer to your question would be no...  Unlike livestock which in this state are required to be kept under control by their owners and well, thats why we have no fault in NYS.

BTW I have never liked spotlighting even when I did not own a lot of land...it's such fun taking a back road short cut home to have some twit suddenly  brake to stick a spot light out the window...or driving way under the speed limit as you pop up over a knoll...

• Like 2

Actually it said shoot it or shine it not just shoot it. So they are not your deer and if people are not on your property then it is legal for them to look at them both during the day or at night with a light. Just because someone is looking at deer with a light doesn't mean they are poaching them. Maybe they are just trying to get an idea of what the overall population is and they just like watching deer. Best way to get an idea of overall population and not trespass is to drive the roads spotting them in fields. Lord forbid they see a big buck that I am hideing on my property. He is mine till he goes else where then he is someone elses. Just seeing a deer in a field especially a buck doesn't mean they will be there the next day. When that buck that was yours 2 days ago gets shot it doesn't mean the hunter poached it. It might have been there deer for the day.

Just because someone is looking at deer with a light doesn't mean they are poaching them.

Just because someone is taking a light to look inside your car or home doesn't mean he is going to enter or take anything.

I'd like to believe that you are logical, just unwilling to find fault with something you enjoy doing.

Would you take a super-powerful light and shine it in someone's eye at night, their dog or their livestock.

Yes deer graze fields at night, yes a properly managed property may hold large bucks.

WTF are you looking to learn peering into someone's property at night and possibly driving game off their land?

Best way to get an idea of overall population and not trespass is to drive the roads spotting them in fields.

Why not read the harvest reports our tax dollars and license fees pay to monitor and report?

Save some fuel, time and aggrevation of others:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/deerplan2012.pdf

So please stop spotlighting (and to others, please stop poaching).

If the effective home range of a whitetail in NYS is between 2 and 3 square miles, a little simple math dictates spotlighting further than .79-.97 miles away (πr^2) from where you are hunting is meaningless.

Is it to drive the deer off that property? It serves no purpose other than a peeping tom. I'm agreed not all peeping toms enter a property to do worse but I have no sympathy for peeping toms.

You know ones that "just want to see what kind of girls live in this neighborhood."

How about the courtesy of the following two things:

Only shine your own land &

If unwilling to do that, only shine after season?

Edited by thunnus
  • Like 1

Spotlighting is one of my favorite fall pastimes.

Great way to scout and see what's happening with the rut and overall patterns of deer. Not only that on more than one occasion I've seen bucks that I've never gotten infront of a camera, and I've been able to track a bucks home range. How useful is that, to consistently see a buck on camera then see him a few miles away somehwere you'd least expect him when you thought you had him all figured out?

Not sure I understand the peeping tom comparison.... But if you want to apply that to spotlighting then I'm pretty sure if I wanted to see what all the neighborhood girls looked like id just sit my ass at the food court in the mall. Same can be applied to spotlighting deer I'm goin to where they all hang out.

Just because someone is taking a light to look inside your car or home doesn't mean he is going to enter or take anything.

I'd like to believe that you are logical, just unwilling to find fault with something you enjoy doing.

Would you take a super-powerful light and shine it in someone's eye at night, their dog or their livestock.

Yes deer graze fields at night, yes a properly managed property may hold large bucks.

WTF are you looking to learn peering into someone's property at night and possibly driving game off their land?

Why not read the harvest reports our tax dollars and license fees pay to monitor and report?

Save some fuel, time and aggrevation of others:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/deerplan2012.pdf

So please stop spotlighting (and to others, please stop poaching).

If the effective home range of a whitetail in NYS is between 2 and 3 square miles, a little simple math dictates spotlighting further than .79-.97 miles away (πr^2) from where you are hunting is meaningless.

Is it to drive the deer off that property? It serves no purpose other than a peeping tom. I'm agreed not all peeping toms enter a property to do worse but I have no sympathy for peeping toms.

You know ones that "just want to see what kind of girls live in this neighborhood."

How about the courtesy of the following two things:

Only shine your own land &

If unwilling to do that, only shine after season?

I spotlight, and I do it on land I dont own or have permission to hunt. I do it legally, I have never poached a deer, and never plan to. I like seeing whats in the area, sometimes I take my kids and they enjoy seeing the deer. Meaningless to you maybe, but dont sit there and tell me what I should or shouldnt do LEGALLY. Spotlighting doesnt drive deer out of an area, and its not comparable to someone peeping in your windows. Screen the property as best you can, or build a house on it to make it not legally spot-able. Otherwise, you might as well get over it, theres nothing you can do.

If people are trespassing, tearing down signs or poaching on your property, then get law enforcement involved, and dont back down from pressing charges.

Also, 200 acres is not a very big chunk of property. I commend you for your management efforts (other than the genetic thing, your urinating in the wind with that), but Id be surprised if your chunk of land amounted for any of the deer's home range. They all leave your property at one time or another, most likely daily. They simply arent "your game".

Good luck with your season!

• Like 2

I also enjoy spotlighting deer, and people spotlight the farm I hunt a lot. As long as no shots are fired, there is nothing wrong with it. Stay away from houses and camps and there is nothing illegal about it. I just like to see wildlife in general, and at night, it is a good time to see some bucks you haven't seen, and maybe even see a true giant that you didn't know was in the area.

Friday night, my buddy ran his hounds right in the heart of my hunting area. I don't care one bit. The deer stay right there. Even though he shot a couple coons out, I still saw plenty of deer on Saturday, including a few bucks. TV, magazines, and just plain being selfish, has just about ruined deer hunting in my eyes.

I have read this a couple times now. So, I have a couple questions....

Are you in your house when you see the lights in the fields? If so, then they are breaking the law, So keep an eye out for the same area, and if it continues, set up in the dark and take a pic of the plate number on the vehicle and make a report.

If!!! You are not in your house when it happens, then what are you doing in the woods after dark? Just strolling for some midnight air?

• Like 1

Usually, (hopefully), it's a small handful of morons that will do what you have described. I would be HOT if this was happening to me, and probably give up many days of hunting, or even a season to get this under control. I spend a lot of money on property, and simply could not take it being abused by scum bags that have no respect for my land.

Get in touch with the local police and DEC...these guys are paid to help, and often want to!

Good luck...

• Like 1

If someone spot lighted on property that I owned , I would be tempted to get their license number so I could possibly find their home and spot light it at 2 or 3 am some day . Fair is fair . :rolleyes:

Haha! That'd be just enough to roust Mr. Remington and his cousin Ithaca!
  • Like 1

I feel no sympathy for you and your problems. Yes I agree that if someone is illegally removing your signs and trespassing then do what you have to to bust them and press charges so the community knows you mean business. But  when you call them your deer and people have no right to do a legal activity, that is total BS. If you don't want people looking on to your property than do something about it, but if it is open and I see a deer, you bet your tail I am going to stop and take a look at it. As long as I can legally park on the state owned shoulder and not disrupt the flow of traffic, I will light the deer or gawk in broad daylight. Telling someone that they can not do a legal activity because you don't agree with it doesn't make any sense to me. But if you are into that whole dictator thing I am sure Gov. Cuomo can find a nice job for you.

Also if you want to solve the problem with grains I would say go for it, while you are sitting in a cell, I would be back in the same spot admiring the nice deer you will never be able to harvest =p 

• Like 2

Purchase, maintain, pay insurance on, pay taxes on property that is being poached and then judge me.

If legality dictated moral conduct, no one would give their seat up for an older lady or even a pregnant one.

The law shouldn't be the final bar of conduct people live up to but the minimal one.

As a fellow hunter, I wish you an enjoyable, bountiful and safe season.

Purchase, maintain, pay insurance on, pay taxes on property that is being poached and then judge me.

If legality dictated moral conduct, no one would give their seat up for an older lady or even a pregnant one.

The law shouldn't be the final bar of conduct people live up to but the minimal one.

I don't remember seeing one post that was in support of any poaching. Can you point one out?

Purchase, maintain, pay insurance on, pay taxes on property that is being poached and then judge me

This turned in to a thread about spotlighting and that is not poaching yet everyone talks like it is. I like spotlighting and see no problem with it. I have no problem with someone doing it on my property as long as they stay off the land and do not light my house it is fine with me. Poaching is another thing all together. A person can see in to your land during the day and no one is complaining about that. What are you doing at night you do not want anyone to see? If you turn a corner while driving your truck and your haed lights shine out in a field and you see a monster buck do you turn that truck back to the field and get a better look at that deer? I bet you and everyone that says they hate spot lighting has done this. Yet by your standerds that makes you a poacher.

As for poachers it is tuff to keep them out. At some point you will not be around to stop them and they do there deed. The best you can do is let everyone know you will not stand for it and that if they get cought you will have them arrested. Do what you need to to make them think twice about doint it on your property. Make them wonder if you are around and they just do not see you. Yes when someone poaches deer it could be deer they saw while spotlighting. However it could be that they saw the deer during the day. Just because someone looks at your property doesn't mean they are looking to steal they might just be looking, just as you are when you turn your head lights on the monster buck you saw in someone elses field

Good luck to you too, not to rub each other the wrong way. We are all hunters and all have different opinions on topics and bottle us up on a forum and it is like a pack of coyotes. 

It's posted, 1/2 is patrolled (a slower w/ Age ex and great deer hunter and ex marine).

There just doesn't seem to be any respect for people's property.

Land we purchased, maintain, finance, insure and pay an exorbitant amount of tax on.

It's posted, they tare it down.

People Spotlight our fields then spread the word of the bucks they see.

I've spent 10 years pushing people off land, paying to keep habitat right/mixed, and culling bucks w/ bad genetics.

The dividends are paying off, but the more monsters they see the more of a problem the poachers become.

Separate thought, why is spotlighting legal at all, let alone on someone else's private property?

Any advice much appreciated. It's just gotta stop, it's literally theft.

Taking down posted signs????

Spreading the word on bucks they see???? Spreading the word to who???

More monsters they see the more the problem becomes??? Why???

Seems like the biggest problem you have is someone taking down posted signs as you have provided no proof or examples to anything you have stated in your original complaint ???

Other than you have a problem with spotlighting which to you is poaching somehow ,, again you have provided no proof of why spotlighting , spreading the word about monsters and paying high taxes equals poaching