how old?

bowaholic

Most of my guns were inherited for my father, uncles and grandfather. I regularly use the 1960’s marlin 35, a captured German 8 mm mauser converted to a sports rifle. On average, the guns I use the most are pushing 50 to 60 years old.

I also have a bunch of new bows, but will go back to a 1980's hoyt from time to time.....it killed deer in the 80's and still get the job done

I have a couple real nice modern day rifles that i have put away for now. In the last few years i have used my dads 50 year old 336 Marlin chambered in 35..in last couple years it has taken a buck, a doe and a bear..the reason well its my dads gun, its a tack driver, its short and compact (makes my treks up the mountain easier) and it packs a nice punch.

Two of the shotguns I use  are a Winchester M12 16 gauge made in 1936 and a Browning A-5 20 gauge made in the late 50s.

My centerfire rifles are all fairly recent,  vintage 1988 or later, except my Garand M1.

The reciever on the M1 is dated 1943. Since nearly all Garands  have been rebuilt, I don't know the vintage of the rest of the parts.

I have a number of other military rifles that date back as far as 1917, but I've never hunted with them.

I have a Mossberg 500 that my dad (who didn't hunt) bought for me when I was about 14 or 15. About 35 years ago. I took a ton of game with it. The last time I took it out was around 8 years ago. I shot two pheasants  with it, over my old dog Rudy. It was one of the last times I hunted with him, before we had to put him down. I still have the gun and Rudy's collar.

• Like 2

I hunt with this old Marlin 1893 in .30-30 just for fun sometimes.  It was made about 1922 or so.  It is very accurate and the 26" barrel really gets the most from modern rounds.  It really hunts well too as it's got good balance and a very slick action.

post-177-0-99874600-1414794887_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I hunt with this old Marlin 1893 in .30-30 just for fun sometimes.  It was made about 1922 or so.  It is very accurate and the 26" barrel really gets the most from modern rounds.  It really hunts well too as it's got good balance and a very slick action.

attachicon.gifOldMarlin.jpg

that's a nice looking gun...sometimes the gun you take an animal with is more satisfying than the animal you take.

• Like 1