Ground Bees!!

airedale

So the wife was doing some mowing with a walk behind and stirred up a ground Hornet's nest that was just built under my snow pusher blade, she got nailed a couple of times on her leg. Nothing new around here, through the years I have attacked and stung several times when mowing, those suckers will chase you right into your house. They seem to build those nests fast because one minute there are none and the next time mowing you catch their wrath. I have found the best way to get them is at night, dig out the top layer of dirt to get at the nest and pour some gas on it and touch it off. This time I used that strong vinegar weed killer concoction I made up for poison ivy and that seemed to do them in pretty well. I like the idea in the video below except I do not own a bee proof suit.

al

4 hours ago, airedale said:

So the wife was doing some mowing with a walk behind and stirred up a ground Hornet's nest that was just built under my snow pusher blade, she got nailed a couple of times on her leg. Nothing new around here, through the years I have attacked and stung several times when mowing, those suckers will chase you right into your house. They seem to build those nests fast because one minute there are none and the next time mowing you catch their wrath. I have found the best way to get them is at night, dig out the top layer of dirt to get at the nest and pour some gas on it and touch it off. This time I used that strong vinegar weed killer concoction I made up for poison ivy and that seemed to do them in pretty well. I like the idea in the video below except I do not own a bee proof suit.

al

Hey I enjoyed that. That guys Dr. Dolittle! lol Hope your wife is ok. I had two big nests at my house this year. 1 under the deck which I just spayed. The other was in the roof of the front porch. I got stung on that one. Had a welt for about three days on my neck. Black hornets. 

About two years ago, I was mowing the lawn up at my camp when I drove over a nest of white headed wasps (ground bees). They were all over me before I knew what was going on. In a panic, I ran inside to get away from them, trying to brush them off me. They followed me in. In the process, I was stung...alot. My guess, about 75 times, mostly along my R hand, ankles, lower legs and feet. I pulled off my socks, to find them down inside them, and in my pants leg. I was in a bit of a panic ,and knew this could be serious. I grabbed our allergy relief benadryl and took four, then went to my neighbors explaining what happened, asking to stay there for an hour or so to be sure I didnt have a severe reaction. Luckily, I didnt...but an hour later, I was still picking them off. 

I called the wife to tell her what was happeining, and headed home....it was a long drive, and the next few days were the most miserable I ever had. I had to call in sick a few days, and two months later, my R hand was still swollen twice the size. 

It took a couple weeks, but we returned to the camp with a vengeance.....fire bombed and dug up the nest, and several others we found. Everything has its place...but not those little bastards.

My recommendations...dont do what I did....IF you get attacked with multple bites...get around someone to watch you, and dont be shy about going to urgent care/ED.

• Like 2