Seeing Deer? Not me.....

Core_Lokt

How many deer are you seeing per one day?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. How many deer are you seeing per one day?

• NONE
    • 1-2
    • 3-5
    • 5-10
    • 10+

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's been a dismall year for deer sightings in 5R & 5J. I've hunted everyweekend since Northern Zone Muzzle Loader opened & the entire opening week of Southern Zone.

Northern Zone - 19 deer total - 2 bucks (I missed 1 & couldn't get a clean shot at the other).

Southern Zone - 6 deer total, 1 doe opening weekend, 5 in a group I pushed out.

4 of us hunting every weekend since October 23, 0 bucks killed, 1 missed.

We're still out there though & will be until Southern Zone ML closes.

I hunt 4P.  Saw a good amount of deer before the gun season, but now they seem to have vanished.  3H and 3J are AR units aren't they?  From what some who hunt those units say about the benefits of AR's on this site, one would think that you fellas would be seeing plenty of smaller bucks, if not the big boys?? 

I hunt in 8g.  Saw tons of deer during bow with the majority being bucks.  On opening day 8 does came through but they were accidently pushed to me and my buddy by my dad when he was going to his spot (my buddy got one of them).  I've seen one other deer and that was the second sunday of the season.  It was a buck that my dad pushed toward me and I got him to.  Since then nothing.  I have even left the stand (only twice) to walk around.  Seen plenty of tracks just don't seem to come up on anything.  O well though. There still there just gotta play the cards right.  I probably won't be out until late ML though now due to surgery. 

I agree WNYBuckhunter about getting out of the stands. I usually sit in my stand until 10:00 or so then still hunt my way around.

The biggest problem we've had this year seems to be a swirling hard wind more than previous years. I think we've had 15+ MPH winds almost every weekend most of Southern zone. Again today, 15 - 20 mph winds with gusts to 30. I helps hide the sounds of stalking but is killing me scent wise & I do take a lot of care to eliminate & reduce me scent.

Ah yes.... the good ol' N-S-E-W wind. I know it well. I hunt in hill country with lots of deep ravines and uneven formations. The wind never seems to know exactly which way to blow other than on my back. I can walk a complete huge circle and have the wind directly on my back all the way. At least I know that in one direction, the weatherman will have gotten it right.

Opening day I sat on a west face of a hill with a predicted west wind. so the wind should have been blowing uphill, and not to any deer being moved up the hill. .....Yeah, right. I spent the morning watching the wind take turns blowing up, down, and sideways, never really showing any preference. The same gust would blow in one direction and then without even slowing down or hesitating whip right around 180 degrees and blow the exact opposite.

Doc

The wind has been miserable here too. We're getting 30 and 40mph gusts, 20+ sustained, and you're right Doc. It swirls around in the hills and hollows so you can never really 'work' it... just gotta hope that it doesn't work against you at any given moment (but it always seems to, haha!).

I haven't been in my stand in the last week and a half. I wish I could hunt where we think they are bedded but it's in amongst houses and down across the PA border.  ;) This wind and snow has them hanging low in my area it seems.

For the guys still hunting wind can be a plus Go slow and really look. Two years ago shot a nice nine pointer in his bed. Real windy out. Took three shots to hit him and he never got out of his bed. Wind had him messed up. This year I got a small eight the same way, but got him first shot. :D

For the guys still hunting wind can be a plus Go slow and really look. Two years ago shot a nice nine pointer in his bed. Real windy out. Took three shots to hit him and he never got out of his bed. Wind had him messed up. This year I got a small eight the same way, but got him first shot. ;)

thank god you shoot a semi :D

Saw four doe less than a hundred yards from the house two different times yesterday.  Must be the cold.  Then, this morning (about 15 minutes before legal shooting time), my wife and I heard a shot across the road from us.  Guess there are three now.

I'm going back up state Friday afternoon and Saturday for a last ditch effort.May the cold has deer moving.Lets see.

I have a suspicion that Friday and Saturday may just turn out to be the best two days hunting of this entire gun season.  Calm winds at last on Saturday and snow and ice is expected for Sunday, so just maybe those deer will finally move.

im 15. got my first doe this year. I got her opening day. A hunter shot at the group of them. they ran to where i was sitting across the road about 500 yards into the woods. and she ran by me and stopped and i dropped her. I got my second doe two weeks ago and i kicked her up in the pine trees and she stopped and looked at me and i shot her. I only have a buck tag left now. only saw one huge buck but he was moving really quick and only saw him for a few seconds. My best advice to you guys is too do a drive or just walk around and sit for about 10 mins. then walk about 200 yards and sit. and keep doing that. in my area they are bedding down during the day and moving at night. Best of luck to you all.