severed head

vig77

I was hunting state land ( stewart) Last Wednesday during the snow storm While sitting on the forest line of the field I notice at daylight  a bright orange something under a pine tree.  just figured maybe another hunter walked out of their zone and ended up where i was no big deal. after a couple hours I decided to go and investigate because it has not moved in the slightest. When i got over there i see its a hunting vest, next to it I find gloves then a knife and a gut pile. Then i look a little further and I see the severed Buck head with one antler hacked off and the other partially cut off. 

My question is Why would you do this? 

Not sure where you were in the storm. Or when you were hunting. But, after two hours, everything would have been covered with snow in CNY, in that amount of time. That orange would have been gone. You would never have been able to see a knife just laying on the ground.

Don't poachers usually haul out the whole carcass? If it was rack poachers wouldn't they have taken just the head and left the rest. Rack poachers don't even gut the deer. Do they?

I was hunting state land ( stewart) Last Wednesday during the snow storm While sitting on the forest line of the field I notice at daylight  a bright orange something under a pine tree.  just figured maybe another hunter walked out of their zone and ended up where i was no big deal. after a couple hours I decided to go and investigate because it has not moved in the slightest. When i got over there i see its a hunting vest, next to it I find gloves then a knife and a gut pile. Then i look a little further and I see the severed Buck head with one antler hacked off and the other partially cut off. 

My question is Why would you do this? 

Im thinking that YOU scared him off ,lose the blaze orange so you won't see him sneak off.

• Like 2

Oh man do I ever love a post where we get to use our imaginations and let them run wild!

Here's what I think could have happened...

New guy to hunting shoots his first buck, and he's so excited! He fills out his tag immediately and sticks it in his pocket.(per law he's not reqired to attach tag just yet)

He proceeds to gut the animal moments later just the way he read it was supposed to be done on line.

He then realizes he forgot a piece of rope, or a drag to get this carcass out of the woods and he begins to panic someone else will steal his kill if he leaves it abandoned... he also read that on line,lol

So his next step is to try to salvage the antlers by hacking them off before he realizes he just cut off a dragging handle and maybe he should save the entire head.

He packs up his saw and the one antler he cut loose to show everyone back at home when he finally comes to the conclusion he has no idea what he's supposed to do next.

He marks his carcass kill location with his orange vest to make sure he can find it when he returns with help to get his deer out.

He gets turned around on his way back to the truck and what should have been a 15 minute hike turns into an hour.

When he finally reaches the truck and sees his cell phone battery is dead, he proceeds to make the 40 mile trip back home to see if his neighbor can give him a hand getting his trophy back home.

4 hrs later he makes it back to his kill with help..

..... stranger things HAVE happened before we all start jumping to conclusions! :rolleyes:

• Like 4

[t-quote name=vig77" post="347458" timestamp="1417289584]

I was hunting state land ( stewart) Last Wednesday during the snow storm While sitting on the forest line of the field I notice at daylight a bright orange something under a pine tree. just figured maybe another hunter walked out of their zone and ended up where i was no big deal. after a couple hours I decided to go and investigate because it has not moved in the slightest. When i got over there i see its a hunting vest, next to it I find gloves then a knife and a gut pile. Then i look a little further and I see the severed Buck head with one antler hacked off and the other partially cut off. 

My question is Why would you do this? [/t-quote]

Im thinking that YOU scared him off ,lose the blaze orange so you won't see him sneak off. 

That makes about as much sense as an elevator in an outhouse. 

Oh man do I ever love a post where we get to use our imaginations and let them run wild!

Here's what I think could have happened...

New guy to hunting shoots his first buck, and he's so excited! He fills out his tag immediately and sticks it in his pocket.(per law he's not reqired to attach tag just yet)

He proceeds to gut the animal moments later just the way he read it was supposed to be done on line.

He then realizes he forgot a piece of rope, or a drag to get this carcass out of the woods and he begins to panic someone else will steal his kill if he leaves it abandoned... he also read that on line,lol

So his next step is to try to salvage the antlers by hacking them off before he realizes he just cut off a dragging handle and maybe he should save the entire head.

He packs up his saw and the one antler he cut loose to show everyone back at home when he finally comes to the conclusion he has no idea what he's supposed to do next.

He marks his carcass kill location with his orange vest to make sure he can find it when he returns with help to get his deer out.

He gets turned around on his way back to the truck and what should have been a 15 minute hike turns into an hour.

When he finally reaches the truck and sees his cell phone battery is dead, he proceeds to make the 40 mile trip back home to see if his neighbor can give him a hand getting his trophy back home.

4 hrs later he makes it back to his kill with help..

..... stranger things HAVE happened before we all start jumping to conclusions! :rolleyes:

and then?.....

....and then when he got back to his deer, he cut the other antler off and put a consigned doe tag on the carcass and will return tomorrow for a bigger buck!

or maybe he realized it was "black friday" and if he was late getting home to shop with his wife she would cut his head off! so he made a hasty retreat leaving stuff behind!

• Like 1

Back in the 80's I knew a guy who later told me that he used to jack does with a 22 on the side of the road. Crack a glow stick and mark the area. After 2 he would go sit in the diner then go back gut them cut head and legs off and throw them in his trunk. Bring them down to Chinatown in the city and they would pay $15 a pound. I don't know if he was for real or not but he was from the Bronx. There was to much detail in the story for him to make it up.

Karma is a bitch he was badly hurt in the 90's by being hit on his motorcycle by ......yep a Doe.

Last i new he moved to Maryland.

Edited by Pugsley

I think this is more then interesting but I think everyone is imagining way too much. One thing for sure, illegal activity going on. My guess, guy is desperate for deer/meat, who knows what he's "really" thinking but I would bet he does not have a doe tag. Shot, killed and then realized oh $hit what am I doing, got scared off for whatever reason.

Edited by Taylormike

Easy...

Goober sees deer...Shoots it...

Walks up to deer and discovers it has antlers..Bad news because he put his buck tag on a trophy spike opening day and only has a DMP.

Guts deer..leaves vest and knife on ground..

Cuts off head to get rid of evidence..

Decides to remove antlers with his patented BOB VILA folding saw ...

Saws off one antler..Starts to cut off the other antler, SLIPS  and delivers a crushing blow to his testicles on the upstroke....

Runs screaming in pain back to his truck..

Bear comes in and drags off deer..

OP stumbles on scene...

Seems perfectly clear to me...

• Like 6