DEC officer harrassment??

skully

OR....it's some nut job animal rights guy dressed up like a CO...stranger things have happened.....

Yea I have heard of people doing that.  Thats balls.  You could get in big trouble for acting like an officer.  This is not the case.

when you and or your cousin addressed the issue with him the last time you saw him what did he say? possibly complaint's about baiting, or some other activity?

" looking for illegal activity"  every time that is his only words.  I always thought he might have seen a giant buck there so he was screwing everybody up on purpose.  I have seen cops do that in the past.

• Like 2

Ok Turns out that the activity he has been looking for is baiting and the hotline has had several complaints from the area and even the superior seems to think from other hunters that want the place to themselves.  He has been told to ease up on the location as nothing has been found in 2 months.  Thanks for all comments 

• Like 1

Sure sounds like there is more to the story.

I suspect there was likely some intel he has been working on to spend time in that area. Being public, I don't think he can reasonably expect that the same guys will always be there and to not check them.

Ok Turns out that the activity he has been looking for is baiting and the hotline has had several complaints from the area and even the superior seems to think from other hunters that want the place to themselves.  He has been told to ease up on the location as nothing has been found in 2 months.  Thanks for all comments 

knew there had to be a reason...........just be glad he didn't find a bait pile near where you were hunting.

• Like 3

When I hunted state land years ago, there a a dec officer that lived in the area.  he checked us several times in the woods.  usually that meant he was going down to get in on a drive we were doing.  Then check us after. An older guy in our party told him one day he was going to have the numbers  wore off his license showing it to him.  He never asked us again.

He might just be new and a little over zealous , or he got a tip about baiting or something else going on.

I've had them pass me in the woods and when I whistled and asked them if I needed to come down, thet said nope and apologized for ruining my hunt, and left the way they came in. Also stated they were looking for someone else.

We did have 1 federal officer on the Island that checked licenses while guys were hunting, but they were new and the state guys and bosses spoke to them about it.

Like they say " there's always 3 sides to every story"

• Like 1

I would have a little chat with the officer himself first... tell him that he's disturbing your hunting and you feel like you're being harassed... he can get upset if he likes about it but you have rights as a citizen and you should make sure he knows it... I would do it respectfully and tell him that you thought it would be better to speak to him directly first before going to his superiors... if he gives you attitude... then, go to his superiors. You may also offer to keep an eye out for him and notify him if you see anything suspicious.

• Like 3