DEC officer harrassment??

skully

We have a DEC officer that has come in the woods ruining our hunts just about everyday since OCT 1st. The first time he came right to our treestands and asked us to come down so he could check our licenses.  After he did he walked around for a while. Anyway, I figured we would never see him again.  The next day he did the same thing so I said Don't you remember me from yesterday and he replied that he was looking for illegal activity.  It is state land and my cousin lives across the street from it and said he has run into this guy about a dozen times now busting his chops and he has watched him from his window another 30x walking around in the woods.Is it me or is this harrassment?????  My cousin was gonna call his superiors but I said let me jump on the forum.........  What do you guys think??

Sounds like a rookie to me... How old is this guy. You wonder how much they "really" want to interfere with illegal activity. It is not that hard to find, just head out to the sticks late at night. These DEC officers seem like they want the convenient and easy criminals. The criminals that accidently lean gun on car, or don't fill out their tags properly, actual honest mistakes. They look hard enough they might just find what they don't want.

One minute everyone here is complaining there are not enough ECO's to properly enforce game laws and ECO's are seldom seen in the field.
In the next breath, when you do see them out and about, it's a major inconvenience that may require intervention from his superiors.
You guys crack me up and I'm usually the one making jokes,lol

• Like 9

Perhaps there has been problems in that area and he's doing his job. If it continues a few questions to supervisor may be in order. Remember every person he approaches in the woods is armed. Being new think of how you would feEl in his shoes.

• Like 1

Knock on wood, I never had any bad experience with a green cop. They normally the cool guys with no attitude and a job to do, NY or CT they just normal guys like you and me doing their job checking the report or call. I treat them like I want to be treated with respect and we always shake hands and go on our merry way. I always ask for a card and call them personally if I have a question... This one is weird, why don't you just talk to him and express your concerns... You said "almost everyday since October 1st" how many times did he check your license?

Edited by bkln

Well Wooly I get what you'er saying , however walking in the woods 30 times seems a bit much. Most officers would just check the guys as they go into or out of the woods, maybe a stroll here and there.

I'd talk to,his boss, then his boss .

• Like 2

Well Wooly I get what you'er saying , however walking in the woods 30 times seems a bit much. Most officers would just check the guys as they go into or out of the woods, maybe a stroll here and there.

I'd talk to,his boss, then his boss .

Yes, that is a bit much..... which leads me to believe there is something else going on there where he wants to make his presence known he is keeping an eye on the way he should.

• Like 1

Wooly I respectively disagree. If you find something you find something. If you've been out in that vicinity on numerous occasion and just seem to interact with the same guys obviously its time to move on or get a better informant. To me, this is entrapment, move on down the road.

Edited by Taylormike

Knock on wood, I never had any bad experience with a green cop. They normally the cool guys with no attitude and a job to do, NY or CT they just normal guys like you and me doing their job checking the report or call. I treat them like I want to be treated with respect and we always shake hands and go on our merry way. I always ask for a card and call them personally if I have a question... This one is weird, why don't you just talk to him and express your concerns... You said "almost everyday since October 1st" how many times did he check your license?

He checked my license the first 2 days then a few days later he walked by me and walked around for like 20 minutes then left.  After the 3rd time waking up at 5am to have this guy ruin my hunt at 8am i said forget this.  Since then he has been ruining my cousins and friend hunt just about every day.

If you had to come here first, then you didn't think it was big deal. 

I personally wanted to see what is up and what some of you thought.  My cousin is friggin Irate.  He was gonna blast the guys name all over the internet and where exactly he has been I told him not to do it. I Told him a few minutes ago to call new paltz tomorrow and find out if the officer is in the wrong doing..........

Wooly I respectively disagree. If you find something you find something. If you've been out in that vicinity on numerous occasion and just seem to interact with the same guys obviously its time to move on or get a better informant. To me, this is entrapment, move on down the road.

do you know what entrapment is? obviously not.

• Like 1

He checked my license the first 2 days then a few days later he walked by me and walked around for like 20 minutes then left. After the 3rd time waking up at 5am to have this guy ruin my hunt at 8am i said forget this. Since then he has been ruining my cousins and friend hunt just about every day.

i would be torqued too. I only get 8-10 sits a bow season and having a few ruined for no reason is aggravating

Actually I am one of those that complains about the reduced resources of the DEC and their law enforcement branch in particular. That is why I wonder why this guy is wasting time checking out the same one place and the same hunters multiple times. It makes absolutely no sense, and it sure appears that he is not performing his duties in an efficient way ........ unless there is more to the story than what we are hearing.

• Like 2