Would You Support a Blaze Orange Compromise?

wildcat junkie

Well if you play Russian Roulette there is no proof that a bullet is under the hammer either since it's only a 1 in 6 chance.

Take all of the fatalities where a hunter was mistaken for a deer & compare the odds of those that were wearing blaze orange against those that were not.

man you are nuts.  All I am saying is if you want to wear it or force people to do so on your land, that is your business.  if I choose not to on my land, that is none of your business.  And again we have no more fatalities than any other state and less than most.  Certainly I can not say definitely that thee guy in the church group would have been shot wearing BO.  But you can not say he would not have been either. I am saying and read it this time, if he had been hunting legally and not trying to fill a tag he did not have ob him and it was before you could sign tags over, he more than likely would have identified a target before firing at movement. If you want to condone that behavior and say the guy who got shot was at fault when he was in brush so thick that he probably would not have seen orange, then you have the problem not me.  If they had been obeying the laws and obeying the safe gun handling rules such as know your target and beyond, both would be alive today.  

Wouldn't bother me in the least. Again. What law section are you basing your opinion on?

The law that says it's illegal to hunt deer after sundown. By your logic there would be no way to inforce the law unless the DEC officer actually saw you take a shot at a deer after sundown. Even then you should be given leeway if you don't have a watch that is synchronized with the DEC & the officer had to prove that it was a deer you shot at.  As long as you missed, there would be no proof right?

Edited by wildcat junkie

man you are nuts.  All I am saying is if you want to wear it or force people to do so on your land, that is your business.  if I choose not to on my land, that is none of your business.  And again we have no more fatalities than any other state and less than most.  Certainly I can not say definitely that thee guy in the church group would have been shot wearing BO.  But you can not say he would not have been either. I am saying and read it this time, if he had been hunting legally and not trying to fill a tag he did not have ob him and it was before you could sign tags over, he more than likely would have identified a target before firing at movement. If you want to condone that behavior and say the guy who got shot was at fault when he was in brush so thick that he probably would not have seen orange, then you have the problem not me.  If they had been obeying the laws and obeying the safe gun handling rules such as know your target and beyond, both would be alive today.  

So now you are qualified to make judgement on my mental state just because I don't agree with you?

WOW! Perhaps you would be so kind as to post your degree so I could take you seriously?

I don't "force" people to wear orange when they hunt on my property. They have a choice to not hunt on my property. They have always been glad to oblige W/O any complaint.

As a matter of fact, now that I think of it, all of them have had the "common sense" to wear blaze orange when I have hunted with them on public land. And I might add, W/O any mention from me.

Ok I have a masters degree from SU in forensic Nursing. I am a psych nurse practitioner with over 20 years of experience. I make those diagnosis every day and treat people who do not think they are nuts either.  Next question

I do not think you are nuts because you disagree. I think you are nuts because you think everyone should agree with you and you think you can protect us from ourselves and make more laws no one wants or needs.  Like I said you do what you want and I will do what I want. it is not your job to tell me how I can do it

Edited by bubba

Wildcat- I personally would love to see all muzzeloader done away done away with and only have a 1 week gun season but that isn't a popular view. My problem with the late Muzz season is that every doe shot is bred so with every doe killed you are actually taking 2 or 3 deer.

If you shoot them before they have been bred, you are doing the same thing. Actually most does have already been bred within the first week of gun season, so any doe you shoot during gun season has probably been bred....

The law that says it's illegal to hunt deer after sundown. By your logic there would be no way to inforce the law unless the DEC officer actually saw you take a shot at a deer after sundown.

Actually, yes. Just because it is hunting there is still a requirement of PROOF. A hunter could sit there until 3 am if they wished to. Is it illegal to go into your woods and target practice after sundown during the summer while the deer season is closed? by your logic it would be. Closed season with a loaded weapon after sunset.

do you turkey hunt?

I used to & yes I wore full camo. Being shot with #4 shot at 30 yds is a whole lot less likely to be fatal than being shot at 50 or 150yds with a 30-06. That's one of the reasons shot size is limited for turkey hunting. Most of the turkey hunters shot are "stalking" a bird. I don't do that as the only real chance of success when stalking a turkey is that of being shot.

I once had an imbecile run right up to me after he busted a bird I was calling. I had relocated after the bird spooked & the guy trots up in front of where I was standing, dropped to his knees 15 yds in front of me & starts calling. "Thanks a lot a$$hole, you busted my bird" I said. The guy was young. He had the Ray Eye handkerchief thing over his face goin'.. He became so unglued that he started hyperventilating. I had called the bird about 1/4 mile up the ridge & it hung up so close I could hear his feathers rattle when he gobbled. After about 10 minutes I heard him gobble way down in the hollow. I got up & moved in wide open hardwoods about 10 steps & stopped. That's when yoyo came trotting up.

Turkeys see color, deer do not. Blaze orange would be a handicap to a turkey hunter. For a deer hunter it isn't or at least far less so.

I used to & yes I wore full camo. Being shot with #4 shot at 30 yds is a whole lot less likely to be fatal than being shot at 50 or 150yds with a 30-06. That's one of the reasons shot size is limited for turkey hunting. Most of the turkey hunters shot are "stalking" a bird. I don't do that as the only real chance of success when stalking a turkey is that of being shot.

I once had an imbecile run right up to me after he busted a bird I was calling. I had relocated after the bird spooked & the guy trots up in front of where I was standing, dropped to his knees 15 yds in front of me & starts calling. "Thanks a lot a$$hole, you busted my bird" I said. The guy was young. He had the Ray Eye handkerchief thing over his face goin'.. He became so unglued that he started hyperventilating. I had called the bird about 1/4 mile up the ridge & it hung up so close I could hear his feathers rattle when he gobbled. After about 10 minutes I heard him gobble way down in the hollow. I got up & moved in wide open hardwoods about 10 steps & stopped. That's when yoyo came trotting up.

Turkeys see color, deer do not. Blaze orange would be a handicap to a turkey hunter. For a deer hunter it isn't or at least far less so.

well, here comes my point........any serious turkey hunter is in the woods WELL before legal hunting hours, and has probably called to and located a Tom before as well...........technically the second you start calling and have that Tom respond to you, you've started "hunting" him, have you not? does DEC see it that way? at this point in time I think not, much like they are well aware that people set up to deer hunt before hours and leave after hours.....and you think they would make blaze orange optional in turkey season? hahaha, doubt it.

Edited by jjb4900

That thinking is so flawed I don't really know what to say or how to respond.

If someone asked me whether I would want 2oz of #4 or #5 or #6 in the face or .06 in the face at those distances...my answer would clearly be....neither.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

Page 80 in your hunting laws handbook has a chart & it's you responsibility to have a watch or some other time piece.

Have a DEC officar walk up to you in the stand when you have a loaded gun & it's 10 minutes after sunset, try to convence him you are hunting coyotes.

He can give you a ticket, but it would have to be tossed in court if you hadnt shot a deer. It is NOT illegal to have a loaded gun before or after sunset on any day of the year, deer season incluided.

The law that says it's illegal to hunt deer after sundown. By your logic there would be no way to inforce the law unless the DEC officer actually saw you take a shot at a deer after sundown. Even then you should be given leeway if you don't have a watch that is synchronized with the DEC & the officer had to prove that it was a deer you shot at.  As long as you missed, there would be no proof right?

Ever hear of innocent until proven guilty?

Ok I have a masters degree from SU in forensic Nursing. I am a psych nurse practitioner with over 20 years of experience. I make those diagnosis every day and treat people who do not think they are nuts either.  Next question

I do not think you are nuts because you disagree. I think you are nuts because you think everyone should agree with you and you think you can protect us from ourselves and make more laws no one wants or needs.  Like I said you do what you want and I will do what I want. it is not your job to tell me how I can do it

Ever hear of "discussion"? That's when "mature" people air differing views. It is you that are making judgments concerning my judgement, lack of common sense & mental state because I don't agree with you, not me. I am merely pointing out your (obvious) arrogance in doing so. So now I'm atacking you?

If you can't discuss differing viewpoints with the adults, perhaps you should refrain. It would seem that by tour own standards you might be the one that's "nuts".

As far as missing things? I could make a whole list of points I have raised that you refuse to discuss.

Your posts are longer relevant so I'm done responding to your childish rants.

well, here comes my point........any serious turkey hunter is in the woods WELL before legal hunting hours, and has probably called to and located a Tom before as well...........technically the second you start calling and have that Tom respond to you, you've started "hunting" him, have you not? does DEC see it that way? at this point in time I think not, much like they are well aware that people set up to deer hunt before hours and leave after hours.....and you think they would make blaze orange optional in turkey season? hahaha, doubt it.

Where did I say it would be illegal to set up before sunrise of leave after sunset? I'm only saying that if you were caught in your stand with a loaded gun after hours you could be written a ticket & good luck with the judge. If you admitted to having a loaded gun sitting on stand after sundown during deer season I don't think your argumants would hold up in court.

Me personaly I don't care one way or the other. It's none of my business. If you are hunting after sundown you know it.

That's all that matters unless you get caught. Then there may be consiqueces.

Not the same thing, but I was in court fror traffic ticket when a guy was there answering a loaded gun in the vehicle charge. That's a misdemeanor, not a violation. A whole nuther ball of wax. Yes they had to "prove" the case, but he had to spend the time to go to court & it was his word against the DEC officer. the judge didn't throw it out.

The point is you might still have to take the time to go to court & if it's your word against the LEO, good luck with that.

Ever hear of innocent until proven guilty?

See above.

Edited by wildcat junkie

Ever hear of "discussion"? That's when "mature" people air differing views. It is you that are making judgments concerning my judgement, lack of common sense & mental state because I don't agree with you, not me. I am merely pointing out your (obvious) arrogance in doing so. So now I'm atacking you?

If you can't discuss differing viewpoints with the adults, perhaps you should refrain. It would seem that by tour own standards you might be the one that's "nuts".

As far as missing things? I could make a whole list of points I have raised that you refuse to discuss.

Your posts are longer relevant so I'm done responding to your childish rants.

Some people love the online battles lol. Trust me. This site is great but leads to BS so much. And theres always a few that agree with each other no matter what and will flood you with quotes and rants. They know it all so its not worth your time I would just move on to a better topic/thread.

Getting back to blaze, for me personally I like to know what I'm raising my rifle for when I see movement in the far off distance and do not raise my rifle if I see blaze. I also wouldn't want anyone looking at me thru a scope to identify me either that's why I can't wear enough blaze during rifle season.

• Like 2

Though I don't agree with him......... your above statement could be flawed in times when there are no seasons open...that might be a sticking point if pressed IMO

Why? there is no legal requirement to have a season open to carry a loaded firearm? I know non hunters that carry guns. Are they guilty of deer hunting out of season without a license?

Let me ask you this. With so many legal open seasons, how would he be able to prove what you were hunting?

Correct. I hang out and see if I can catch the coyotes moving. It isn't illegal to hunt those as your are able to hunt them at night. How does one prove what you are hunting.