Would You Support a Blaze Orange Compromise?

wildcat junkie

How about a true compromise?

We keep the hunting hours, BUT!

Law becomes every male hunter is issued a hot woman who has to wear the orange. Every female is issued a hot man who has to wear the orange?

Now that folks, is a law we should all be able to live with!

Edited by JustRob

You are correct WNY I did missread it. Thanks for the point out. However it might be hard to convince anyone you were not shooting at a deer if they investigated a shot after legal hunting hours for deer. In my area sun set is 4:40 tomorrow dec 5 th by that time light is going fast. That is plenty late enough to be shooting.

You may hunt furbearers with a rifle chambered in any cartridge, except that during any open season for deer - including archery, muzzleloading and regular seasons - you may not possess a centerfire rifle afield, during the day or night, to hunt wildlife, including furbearers in any county or portion of a county where deer hunting with rifles is prohibited during the regular deer seasons.

Copied and pasted from dec regs. You can not have your gun loaded after sunset and claim you are hunting anything other then deer. It is under furbearer hunting regs. Know the regs and stay out of trouble.

As for orange ? You do not have to be mistaken as a deer to be shot. The hunter does not need to be aiming at you for you to be shot or a round go by your head. If you are a distance away and a deer is between you and the one shooting, that person may not see you if you are 100 yards off and in camo. They shoot and you are in line with what they know to 100% be a deer guess what could happen. Thinking another person has to think you are a deer and be aiming at you is ignorant. I look for guys in camo and orange, HOWEVER just because I do not see someone in camo does not mean they are not there. If everyone wore orange no orange would mean no hunter in your line of fire. Not seeing camo just means there might not be someone hideing in the brush 75 or 100 yards the other side of your target even if you are sure of what you are shooting and have a clear unmistakeable shot.

Wear orange and make sure your gun is unloaded after hours and you will stay safe and out of trouble.

Stubby, your reading comprehension needs work, as do the regs and normal folks ability to understand them.

"You may not possess a centerfire rifle afield, during the day or night, to hunt wildlife, including furbearers in any county or portion of a county where deer hunting with rifles is prohibited during the regular deer seasons."

That means in any area where rifles are allowed for deer,you may have one loaded at any hour if hunting coyote.

Oh Heck.  Posted this prior to getting to read all of the following posts to this point.  But you get the point.

Edited by Mr VJP

Seems like a few months ago someone did post a link on accidents. Number of people shot were less when wearing orange.

As in NONE in NT State during big game season over the last 10 years shot while wearing blaze orange. All of the shooting victims were not wearing blaze orange.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/9186.html

As in NONE in NT State during big game season over the last 10 years shot while wearing blaze orange. All of the shooting victims were not wearing blaze orange.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/9186.html

Hey Widcat great idea with the pics !!!

Wish you would have parked your BO hat back in the pines really would of stood out and drove it home a little more ,.,

I have always thought. The sunrise sunset law was nonsense...

A blaze orange hat and vest can be seen as you stated in almost no light and light no problem ..

Bubba want stats well if you go to any state that requires blaze orange their accident rate has dropped since implementing but , he needs that made into a pie chart to understand that it works ...

New York has had a very low accident rate without having mandatory Blaze Orange . As good or better than Pa's ...

New York has an 80% voluntary BO usage, mostly in the SZ.

Hardly anyone wears BO in the NZ, at least now where I live on the northen edge & even with low hunter densities there are fatalities.

If hunter densities were taken into acount for the number of fatalities between SZ & NZ, it might be interesting.

NOBODY wearing BO has been shot in New York during Big game season in the last 10 years. Therefore ALL of the shooting occurances have been to those not wearing BO.

Bottom line. People screw up. I don't want to become a statistic because someone didn't see me.

Wish you would have parked your BO hat back in the pines really would of stood out and drove it home a little more ,.,

A blaze orange hat and vest can be seen as you stated in almost no light and light no problem ..

Bubba want stats well if you go to any state that requires blaze orange their accident rate has dropped since implementing but , he needs that made into a pie chart to understand that it works ...

Better yet, I'll see if i can get my sone to pose in camo, in the brush on that hillside with & witout a blaze orange hat.

If you want to talk "nannie state" & oppressive regulation, I think it's bull$hit that I have to quit hunting during the very best times, when there's still plenty of light, because the state thinks I lack proper judgment. Seems far more "opressive" to me that requiring that I wear a blaze orange hat.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 1

Better yet, I'll see if i can get my sone to pose in camo, in the brush on that hillside with & witout a blaze orange hat.

If you want to talk "nannie state" & oppressive regulation, I think it's bull$hit that I have to quit hunting during the very best times, when there's still plenty of light, because the state thinks I lack proper judgment. Seems far more "opressive" to me that requiring that I wear a blaze orange hat.

Yes and show that a human in low light looks nothing like a deer so I still wouldn't know what your shooting at.

And NY still has less that they do.  So how does it prove anything.

I would welcome mandatory blaze orange. I think that it helps avoid accidents and statistics bear that out. My biggest reason is that it makes it much easier to detect what may be beyond your intended target.

I would support the 30 minutes before and after. There is certainly enough light for safe hunting as any bow hunter can tell you.

While I'm very new to this (or any) forum, I can't stand the attitudes and aggressiveness being displayed by some. My diagnosis is male menopause......

• Like 2

New York has an 80% voluntary BO usage, mostly in the SZ.

Hardly anyone wears BO in the NZ, at least now where I live on the northen edge & even with low hunter densities there are fatalities.

If hunter densities were taken into acount for the number of fatalities between SZ & NZ, it might be interesting.

NOBODY wearing BO has been shot in New York during Big game season in the last 10 years. Therefore ALL of the shooting occurances have been to those not wearing BO.

Bottom line. People screw up. I don't want to become a statistic because someone didn't see me.

Again you make it sound like BO is the end all. How about looking into the people who do not positively identify their target and shoot at movement.  You make it sound like the guy getting shot is at fault for not wearing orange.  How about looking into the illegal activity that takes place during these activities. There is absolutely no excuse for shooting anyone of they are in brown head to toe.  Place the blame where it belongs on the shooter.   Funny thing is that the majority of accidents as you call them take place in the SZ with the 80% rate as you call it.  I do not need you to tell me or legislate me to wear what you think is the end all to shooting incidents.  Wear whatever you want and so will I.  

• Like 1

Again you make it sound like BO is the end all. How about looking into the people who do not positively identify their target and shoot at movement.  You make it sound like the guy getting shot is at fault for not wearing orange.  How about looking into the illegal activity that takes place during these activities. There is absolutely no excuse for shooting anyone of they are in brown head to toe.  Place the blame where it belongs on the shooter.   Funny thing is that the majority of accidents as you call them take place in the SZ with the 80% rate as you call it.  I do not need you to tell me or legislate me to wear what you think is the end all to shooting incidents.  Wear whatever you want and so will I.  

KInd of like a helmet law, it protects you from some other fools actions too.  Kind of nuts to not wear one isn't it?

How about a seatbelt law?  They protect from all angles; another driver mistake or your own f-up.  You have a view on them?

Just curious.............................

• Like 1

Yes I do.  Again it is legislation that tries to save us from ourselves.  I ride I wear a helmet.  I drove I wear a seatbelt.  However statistically you are much more likely to get hurt in either of those activities than hunting.  It is my head and my life in my truck.  why is it anyone else's business.    I guess the laid back hunting in the NZ must be entirely different than the competitive I need to fill my freezer attitude of the SZ.  But then again the SZ and city think they know what is best for the rest of us.  If I had to wear orange and be terrified of being shot at all the time, I would stay out of the woods and take up another hobby.  I would not think twice of walking around my woods or the state land here in my brown carharrt jacket and even think I would get shot at.  We seem to identify our targets and know we are shooting at a deer and not MISTAKE someone for a deer. 

I think a lot of it comes form the hand full of dmp's everyone gets and the brown is down mentality.  But why do I bother since I obviously do not know what I am talking about since I have no clue what real hunting is.  But I think it is you guys who are missing out on real hunting.  Just my opinion

• Like 1

Yes I do. Again it is legislation that tries to save us from ourselves. I ride I wear a helmet. I drove I wear a seatbelt. However statistically you are much more likely to get hurt in either of those activities than hunting. It is my head and my life in my truck. why is it anyone else's business. I guess the laid back hunting in the NZ must be entirely different than the competitive I need to fill my freezer attitude of the SZ. But then again the SZ and city think they know what is best for the rest of us. If I had to wear orange and be terrified of being shot at all the time, I would stay out of the woods and take up another hobby. I would not think twice of walking around my woods or the state land here in my brown carharrt jacket and even think I would get shot at. We seem to identify our targets and know we are shooting at a deer and not MISTAKE someone for a deer.

I think a lot of it comes form the hand full of dmp's everyone gets and the brown is down mentality. But why do I bother since I obviously do not know what I am talking about since I have no clue what real hunting is. But I think it is you guys who are missing out on real hunting. Just my opinion

I agree hunting us way different up north as I hunt ADKs central and sw ny all on state land it is very different in all locations especially the adks.....but for me it's the why risk it mindset why risk my life by not wearing orange it only takes one lapse of judgment from someone to potentially change mine and my family's life.....i ride motorcycles it's my second passion and I literally live 6 miles from pa where there is no helmet law and I ride there alot....every time I stop for gas or what not I think about not putting it on but always do...why risk it right? Everyone has opinions and that's what makes us human... I understand not wanting it a law we have enoygh of those...I understand not wearing durring bow....but what is the reasoning for not wearing durring gun besides not wanting to...is their one?

KInd of like a helmet law, it protects you from some other fools actions too.  Kind of nuts to not wear one isn't it?

How about a seatbelt law?  They protect from all angles; another driver mistake or your own f-up.  You have a view on them?

Just curious.............................

Just ignore him. He isn't worth responding to. It only excites his feeble brain.

I agree hunting us way different up north as I hunt ADKs central and sw ny all on state land it is very different in all locations especially the adks.....but for me it's the why risk it mindset why risk my life by not wearing orange it only takes one lapse of judgment from someone to potentially change mine and my family's life.....i ride motorcycles it's my second passion and I literally live 6 miles from pa where there is no helmet law and I ride there alot....every time I stop for gas or what not I think about not putting it on but always do...why risk it right? Everyone has opinions and that's what makes us human... I understand not wanting it a law we have enoygh of those...I understand not wearing durring bow....but what is the reasoning for not wearing durring gun besides not wanting to...is their one?

For the light hunting pressure up here there are still a lot of fatalities. At least 5 near my area from 1999 to 2007.

It wouldn't surprise me that if hunter densities were taken into account, the number of fatalities in the NZ isn't as high or higher "per hunter hour" than in the SZ.

Edited by wildcat junkie