1st squirrel

Squirrel is good eating. No doubt. Back in the day I hunted them a lot. Mostly in late season, when I got bored and wanted a reason to get out to hunt. They always  came out good however I  cooked  them. Breaded and fried, simmered in any kind of sauce, baked with a little white wine, olive oil, rosemary and parmesan cheese (my favorite) Its all good.  

If it's a Gray, pan fry it like chicken. Simmer it after you brown it to make it tender, adding some mushrooms & a little onion if that suits your taste.

If it's a Fox Squirrel make stew or pie out of it.

If it's an OLD Fox Squirrel, make boot heels out of it.

Edited by wildcat junkie
  • Like 2

pan-roasted with potatoes, onions, and garlic is how we fixed my first squirrel.

My Italian mother-in-law probably would have made sauce and dropped it into the pot like she does with blue-claw crabs or sausages.

Now that deer season is done and almost done preparing for the holidays, I got to get back out there for squirrel and more pheasant.

how do you clean them?

I do it like this:-

1. Cut all 4 feet off at the ankle. I lay the squirrel on a solid log or table, & set my hatchet blade on the foot where I want to cut, then hit the back of the blade with a stout piece of wood. It gives you a quick, accurate, clean cut every time.

2. Put a slice in the skin all the way around the body, in the midsection of the squirrel.

3. Work your fingers under the hide on each side of your slice and pull. The skin will easily pull off of the body like a sock.

4. Once you get the halves of the hide down to the tail and up to the head, cut them off, and the hide will be removed.

-You can either gut the squirrel before or after skinning them this way. I like to skin and then gut them, but it's not always practical. I don't like leaving them with the guts in while I hunt all day, so I often gut them first.

-Once you get the hang of it, you will end up with a nice clean carcass, relatively free of hair.

Edited by Skillet

YouTube squirrel skinning, there's a slick method where you cut the base of the tail, stand on it and pull on the hind legs. Takes seconds

Yep, I learned that method when I moved to Southern Indiana. (after years of doing it the other way)

Slicker-n-snot ona doorknob!