No Fracking in NYS

Curmudgeon

Belo, so with green energy are you talking solar and electric cars? If so have you every looked in to RARE EARTH METALS. Even though they are called rare earths they are not rare, but look at what a rare earth mine looks like.Rare Earth metals are key to all kinds of green technology: Neodymium magnets turn wind turbines. Cerium helps reduce tailpipe emissions. Yttrium can form phosphors that make light in LED displays and compact fluorescent light bulbs. Hybrid and electric cars often contain as many as eight different rare earths. Just google pictures of rare earth mines. So how much is these green energy's really hurting the plant? This is the dark side of green energy.

the lithium battery in a prius does more damage to the earth than the emissions from the tailpipe of my truck. With enough research and time and technology we can work to make batteries better, waste reclamation better etc. Honeywell themselves took a grant and invested 10's of millions to make a better, cheaper lithium battery.

Let's just say I now work for a very large industrial company that makes our money off of oil and gas, wind and water, turbines smart grid etc. It's in our best interest to make everything more efficient.

Edited by Belo

I agree we have devistated our environment in just 200 years. and the planet is billions of years old. How could we do so much damage in so little time. We can't even eat fish from our rivers and streams with out fear of getting sick. All for the sake of big business and money, and we get to clean up their mess.

ALL ?  I don't know about that. Isn't most of it to make yours, mine and others lives easier? I bet there's a lot in your life you could have easily lived without but choose not too, many which involved big businesses and money.

Anyone that didn't see this result coming in NY was kidding themselves. What I find more humorous is the lack of attention being paid to the timing of the decision. I would guarantee that this "report" was all set to go well before November 4th. Funny it had to wait until after the election. Also, you would think Cuomo would have had the balls to put it out there himself rather than being delivered by his lacky.

• Like 3

ALL ?  I don't know about that. Isn't most of it to make yours, mine and others lives easier? I bet there's a lot in your life you could have easily lived without but choose not too, many which involved big businesses and money.

You don't know that the world is being polluted everyday. The air we breathe and the water we drink is tainted with chemicals. But thats ok because it makes  your life better? I think this argument will not pass the smell test.

Really?????   LOL  Why is OPEC trying to kill fracking?????  LOL

OPEC has the resources to out last low oil prices . Thats why they did not cut their production to bring the price of oil up. All their oil investments have been paid for 30 years ago. They have very little or no debt, just profit. But Frackers have extreme amounts of debt. and the low price for gas and oil will bankrupt them. OPEC will be the last man standing and up comes the gas price again. They are smarter than you think.

• Like 1

All you state land hunters in favor of fracking better think aging. Your favorite honey hole just may become a drilling site!

When I am up state i often get the Pa. stations on my radio, doing public service information. "Please don't shoot the above ground gas lines." Glad we don't have to wory about that now.

I sure do!

I guess anyone can believe what they wish but  I have never seen any indication that NY is willing to use any resource that is on State land. Why wouldn't they have placed windmills on there during that boom? Why haven't they utilized the vast timber? (I wish they would do that, talk about increasing the habitat for the wildlife)

• Like 2

Why wouldn't they have placed windmills on there during that boom? 

This is only a guess, but maybe they put them on private land because they could find more fields and open spaces on private land in comparison to state land that might be more wooded??  I would also imagine that one could get access to private land at a lower cost than paying a money hungry state like NY.  There's always someone desperate privately that's willing to allow use of their land for little to nothing.  NY would probably charge a windmill or fracking company thru the nose for the use of it's land, thus they rather go the private route.

• Like 3

OPEC has the resources to out last low oil prices . Thats why they did not cut their production to bring the price of oil up. All their oil investments have been paid for 30 years ago. They have very little or no debt, just profit. But Frackers have extreme amounts of debt. and the low price for gas and oil will bankrupt them. OPEC will be the last man standing and up comes the gas price again. They are smarter than you think.

I agree Dave. But to say that the fracking done in the USA has not pushed down the gas prices we are now experiencing was a stupid statement.

Edited by Freytown
  • Like 1

I agree Dave. But to say that the fracking done in the USA has not pushed down the gas prices we are now experiencing was a stupid statement.

Please show me where I said that. Of course Fracking has brought in more production lowering the cost of gas and oil. Also lowering profits for the Gas and Oil industry making it harder for the smaller companies to  pay off bebt and survive.

I never said it did not lower the price for gas.

I guess anyone can believe what they wish but  I have never seen any indication that NY is willing to use any resource that is on State land. Why wouldn't they have placed windmills on there during that boom? Why haven't they utilized the vast timber? (I wish they would do that, talk about increasing the habitat for the wildlife)

Has anyone ever seen state land used for profitable enterprises in direct competition with similar private activities? I'm wondering if there might be some strings of that sort attached to state land holdings.

Has anyone ever seen state land used for profitable enterprises in direct competition with similar private activities? I'm wondering if there might be some strings of that sort attached to state land holdings.

Is it even legal to use the words "state" and "profitable" in the same sentence? Gotta be a felony/

I think I remember them logging in Bear Spring Mountain a few years back. I was surprised by it. Pennsylvania has fracked on state land and forest ,if the price was right I think they would have done it in NY if it wasnt banned. I also think In the Adirondacks they have a forever wild designation don't know if the rest of the state has tha designation. But I could be wrong.

Edited by Dave

Andy would NEVER risk pissing off his City Enviro cooks. They would be marching and he'd be in law suits up to his eyeballs. This whole thing was a set up from the start with NO intention to ever allow fracking. I am actually surprised it wasn't allowed by him. Picture this.....He allows it on a very limited basis, for a two year evaluation or some short period. Maybe in a handful of rural counties. The law suits would have been filed immediately and it would have been held up for years to come. By that time NY is too late to the dance (and they probably are now anyways) and it wouldn't even be worth doing here. Every time Natural gas gets cheaper it is less cost effective to start new wells. He could have had his DEC lacky announce it, did his apology tour about how it isn't his belief but the fault of the system.When he made his presidential run he could have used the same argument  for the primaries and been able to say he didn't stand in the way if he made it to the general election. (taking my tin foil hat off now)

• Like 1

Ny won't log the ADK's you really think they would have drilled on state land if this had gone through? No way.

selectively logging the adirondaks would be the best thing this state could do. it's so dead up there and nothing grows. mother nature will attempt to do her own fires but we put them out. I've seen some national forests down south where they do controlled burns and logging. the growth and wildlife that comes from them is unbelievable.

• Like 3

selectively logging the adirondaks would be the best thing this state could do. it's so dead up there and nothing grows. mother nature will attempt to do her own fires but we put them out. I've seen some national forests down south where they do controlled burns and logging. the growth and wildlife that comes from them is unbelievable.

Amen, Belo.

And you believe what you want to believe. Until it happens keep believing……...