Crows give carcass location away

genesee_mohican

I'm always on the lookout for dead deer while hunting and scouting and I pay attention to crows calling as well as fox and coyote tracks. While scouting last weekend I heard a steady cawing of crows from the same location for quite a while and decided to investigate. Sure enough, as I got within 100 yards or so I saw one fly up off the ground. Then a second and a third as I got a little closer. It didn't take long to find the carcass they were pecking on. It looks like he'd been there since late bow or early gun. A gut shot straight through and a shame someone lost the beast. He's in the high 1teens.

post-580-0-96120000-1419940096_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

thats really too bad....looks like he had some good sized bases...did same thing the other day...found just the foot of a dead turkey...from the size..one of the Toms were lost...right near the cardboard blind ...my favorite spot to hunt them...surprised they are still on top of the hill this late...

Nice deer its to bad its a waste.

Yeah for many reasons, especially when it's in an area you hunt.  I hope to get out again soon with some snow and check a few other areas. Another good way to look for them is to follow fox tracks in the snow as they eventually will walk past any deer carcass in the area. Also good exercise and it's just great to be out in the woods to stretch the legs and see what you can see while scouting for next year all at the same time.

• Like 1

Yeah for many reasons, especially when it's in an area you hunt.  I hope to get out again soon with some snow and check a few other areas. Another good way to look for them is to follow fox tracks in the snow as they eventually will walk past any deer carcass in the area. Also good exercise and it's just great to be out in the woods to stretch the legs and see what you can see while scouting for next year all at the same time.

Nice find.

Sometimes I'll take it one step farther and try to back track the deers path to where he died.

Many times I already know of, or can find the stands near by that he was likely shot from which tells you a little more about what he was doing before he got himself killed.

Obviously that one may have traveled quite some distance between the two spots with that hit, but it can still be valuable info if you can piece it all together.

Edited by wooly
  • Like 2

hello mohican i sent you a pm. i believe that is the deer that i lost during the last week of bow season.  It was a marginal hit and the deer in the picture is exactly where i would have hit him. We tracked him over a mile and a half with the deer search dogs along with body searches since then, and unfortunately never found him.  in my pm i disclosed the exact location of where i shot him.  Any correspondance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you - ryan