Disturbing article in NY Outdoor News

jjb4900

Ever jaywalked Doc? Didn't rob a bank after it, did ya?

People who are criticizing how others raise their kids either don't have their own or are doing a worse job than the accused.

Another local hero arrives on the scene in the town of ten...

and then there are those who are doing a terrible job and don't even realize it because that's the same way they were raised and don't know any different............

no, not at all. It's easy to criticize others until you've been in their shoes. The rich do it to the poor, whites do it to blacks and yes I see it here often, those without kids think they know what it's all about.

Say what??? I have no idea where you are going with the racial, childless, and poverty references. You lost me with that sudden leap off the trail.

Say what??? I have no idea where you are going with the racial, childless, and poverty references. You lost me with that sudden leap off the trail.

I see where he is going...if you don't have kids, kind of hard to criticize, or criticize accurately/appropriately the parenting of others because you don't have that experience or expertise to make such statements. The rest of it was his exampling of societal use - poor being lazy/stupid, and so on and so forth.

I'm 50-50 on that. If you can put yourself in someone elses shoes and think rationally, you can draw some conclusions in certain situations. Other times, you just can understand untill you've been there.

• Like 1

everyone can do with their children as they please....just don't embarrass yourself on youtube or in the media......I could care less if anyone else's children crash and burn and turn out to be total trash.........just keep it out of the public eye so the rest of us don't have to cringe when we read about it...when I started this post it was in sheer astonishment as to the attitude and stupidity of the father putting it on a social media site, the town defending the actions and his follow up response, in all honesty, I hope this kid keeps churning out the same crap he was fed growing up so the future generations of his town can benefit from it....

Edited by jjb4900

Ok its time to let this one go...There is a new one in the copy i received today..Repeal of SAFE ACT longest of longshots.

Sen.Tom O'Mara says..We understand that the odds are more than long that Gov Cuomo or Assembly Democratic leadership would ever reverse course and agree to repeal it...

I guess this was already written on the wall.  

Ok its time to let this one go...There is a new one in the copy i received today..Repeal of SAFE ACT longest of longshots.

Sen.Tom O'Mara says..We understand that the odds are more than long that Gov Cuomo or Assembly Democratic leadership would ever reverse course and agree to repeal it...

I guess this was already written on the wall.  

agreed, The SAFE ACT doesn't need to be repealed, just sensibly revisited and revised.............and I think we all know what parts need fixing.

See the quote to the response.

Oh I understand that it was meant to be a response to Grow's comment, but it still left me wondering how it relates to that either. It just went flying completely over my head and still does.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what you're missing Doc. I don't place much credibility in the opinion of someone who hasn't walked in my shoes. It's that simple.

Kills me how someone 30 years old can think that a 70 year old man probably hasn't already walked in your shoes a bit... but I guess I was naïve too at 30, then I got older and smarter... in fact I'm pretty sure Doc may have already walked a little in my shoes as well... you should learn to place much more credibility in the wisdom of your elders... just a healthy bit of advice.

• Like 1

Kills me how someone 30 years old can think that a 70 year old man probably hasn't already walked in your shoes a bit... but I guess I was naïve too at 30, then I got older and smarter... in fact I'm pretty sure Doc may have already walked a little in my shoes as well... you should learn to place much more credibility in the wisdom of your elders... just a healthy bit of advice.

I'm not speaking to his points or Doc, but one of the examples tossed around was parenting. A 70 yo non parent might not be the best to offer advice to a 30 yr old parent. Sure he/she may have seen alot in situations so some advice might be prudent, but I'd be taking any POV like that with a major grain of salt. Old people have alot of wisdom to share, but there are certain things where any one person might have limited experience to offer despite their age and thus what is offered might not be what one would call "take it to the bank" level advice.

Even advice that a 70 yr old parent might provide could no longer be applicable. Some/much undoubtedly will be applicable, but there are some things they just can't account for - like the fact that a 70 yr when raising young kids, likely did it in a one-wage earner household where that one person worked for the same company their whole life. Parents today likely have two-wage earner households with careers that'll likely span 7-12 employers over the course of time. Think about how all that affects things like discipline, time management, and so on an so forth.

I place alot of value in advice offered by those who have been there, done that. But, placing too much value on things that might no longer be apples to apples is equally as "dangerous" as under-valuing times where that advice might be completely relevant. One of the more valuable things I've learned is that older people often have better thought processing on how to attack/address something. That generally is relevant across the board.

I guess the real advice from my POV is have a balance with such matters.

Edited by phade

I'm not sure what you're missing Doc. I don't place much credibility in the opinion of someone who hasn't walked in my shoes. It's that simple.

Well, if I try to maintain context of the thread, just a little bit, I have to admit that I do have a hard time walking in the shoes of someone who would purposely make their children part of a couple of illegal acts. I'm not sure that I could ever put myself into that sort of mentality, or that I ever really want to. There is no rich/poor, black/white or any other social aspect to any of that. It is just a case of teaching your children right from wrong, and how to live within a system of laws. And I don't have to walk in anyone's shoes to have definite beliefs on that subject. I'm sorry, but I have little patience with the constant attempts at trying to find some social reasons to excuse illegal activity, and even less patience with teaching your kids that sort of contempt for laws. And I unapologetically make those statements without walking in anybody's shoes. And for me, It really is "that simple".

I'm not speaking to his points or Doc, but one of the examples tossed around was parenting. A 70 yo non parent might not be the best to offer advice to a 30 yr old parent. Sure he/she may have seen alot in situations so some advice might be prudent, but I'd be taking any POV like that with a major grain of salt. Old people have alot of wisdom to share, but there are certain things where any one person might have limited experience to offer despite their age and thus what is offered might not be what one would call "take it to the bank" level advice.

Even advice that a 70 yr old parent might provide could no longer be applicable. Some/much undoubtedly will be applicable, but there are some things they just can't account for - like the fact that a 70 yr when raising young kids, likely did it in a one-wage earner household where that one person worked for the same company their whole life. Parents today likely have two-wage earner households with careers that'll likely span 7-12 employers over the course of time. Think about how all that affects things like discipline, time management, and so on an so forth.

I place alot of value in advice offered by those who have been there, done that. But, placing too much value on things that might no longer be apples to apples is equally as "dangerous" as under-valuing times where that advice might be completely relevant. One of the more valuable things I've learned is that older people often have better thought processing on how to attack/address something. That generally is relevant across the board.

I guess the real advice from my POV is have a balance with such matters.

By the way do you all remember exactly what it was that we are talking about? We have a guy who knowingly involved his kid in illegal acts. And then he clearly left the lesson to his kid that this is just fine. I find it impossible to believe that there could be even a little controversy over that. I don't think that any of that requires any special social arrangements or situations to arrive at a consistent responsible opinion.

1st I would like to say, that I do not agree with what the guy in the article did..  I am more than likely naive, but I think most of us know what is right or wrong irregardless of of any given law/rule. My daughter is taught to respect her elders,peers and treat others as she would like to be treated. She is only 11 so we do not have the opportunity to talk about too many laws. I look at laws as necessary for a modern society. Imho sometimes breaking a law or rule is fine as long as it is the "right" thing to do.

For example I have always taught her how to respond in a verbal or physical confrontation. 99% of the time a situation can be deescalated .There may come a time when the proper response is to kick them in the $#$% and punch them in the nose. Having raised a good kid, I am confident she will know when it is ok to break the rules.

To me it is really that simple  ; )

• Like 2

By the way do you all remember exactly what it was that we are talking about? We have a guy who knowingly involved his kid in illegal acts. And then he clearly left the lesson to his kid that this is just fine. I find it impossible to believe that there could be even a little controversy over that. I don't think that any of that requires any special social arrangements or situations to arrive at a consistent responsible opinion.

yeah, this whole thing had me shaking my head by page two..........it wasn't just one act, but an entire course of actions that made this really stand out in my mind. It wasn't just, "hey son sit on my lap and steer the car"....it was more like "hey son steer the car while I open our beers and if the cops stop us we'll let Aunt Judy slide over and say she was driving"........"oh, and I don't have a driver's license so don't say anything."...........and they wound up getting caught, after dear old dad put it out on social media, and the fathers response was "goddang it, this was the proudest day of mah life and all you folks is just jealous"

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 2

Relax Doc...not everything has to always return to the OP. This thread had morphed already and everyone has said pretty much their final word on the matter. We've moved on, and so should you.

Oh the value that's contributed here... Why aren't you guys in your capes flying around looking for people misusing punctuation, eating with their elbows on the table or something important of the regards?

I'll hang my hat on raising my kids right under God, logic and hard work- keep doing your parts on the Internet "liking" what really matters in this world.

Oh the value that's contributed here... Why aren't you guys in your capes flying around looking for people misusing punctuation, eating with their elbows on the table or something important of the regards?

I'll hang my hat on raising my kids right under God, logic and hard work- keep doing your parts on the Internet "liking" what really matters in this world.

good to see you wake up every two weeks and offer up some useless input....keep up the good work.

• Like 2