For you guys that work out...

growalot

OK so when your adding new muscle groups ,rep numbers,exercises in general,poundage....how do you releive the aches that show up when you hit the sack at night...OK so lets be adults and keep it clean...serious question here....

I am a bundle of aches the second I fully relax. I wake up fine in the morning but the second I lay down at night after a good morning work out...every muscle seems to be just on the verge of cramping...now I take ibuprophen for my knee injury Dr. prescibed for swelling...I take magnesium for leg cramps and drink poweraid for electrolytes...You'd think that would take care of it. They are not crazy adds either...example I added bridges yesterday and one legged ball catches on the trampoline with the physical therapist thats all..though I scared her a couple of times but caught my self before falling over...lol

I expect aches but not so long after I actually worked out, ya a little the next day but dang !!I can't get comfortable once I lay down.....Any advice?

LOL..... I have to do that before even getting to the gym...just to be able to work out....I do tons of stretch before and during my routine...ride the bike 4 miles before weight lifting, inbetween.. 2 miles on the elliptical and then to slow things down just before leaving take a 1 mile stroll on the treadmill...I'm not allowed to run so all real cardio is on the bike and the elliptical.

Potassium is a great way to relive that. wont be the life savor you been looking for but it helps. What really will help is you, your not obviously costumed to the training yet but give it time. pain is gain, remember. As time goes on and your body starts to realize what your doing it will help that process and homeostasis will kick in and things will level out and the pain wont be as bad but that feeling is good tho, your doing things your body isnt used to, so when it does get a bit used to it, try throwing in some different movements here and there to keep it guessing.

but dont forget to stretch before hand and after and eat some potassium. the pain is your muscles filling in with lactic acid, have a nice hot bath when you feel like that.

• Like 1

I drink a unsweetened Silk /coconut,banana, apple,kale,spinache,ginger smoothie when I get home. Plus the zero calorie powerade...by the way I really don't like...dang salty stuff...we have always had a low sodium diet...

maybe try dropping one or 2 of either the coconut or apple, seems like a lot of simple sugars. Although your body can use simple sugars after it dpends on what types of workouts your doing, simple sugars are carbs, obviously and when you insulin is spiked you have a higher rate for storage. Try just banana for now.. Kale is great in smoothies, not sure howmuch ginger your using but that can add some pep if you use to much lol

For cramps, eat a spoonful of prepared mustard.. Any old brand, such as French's will do...Believe it or not, it really works..

Athletes such as football players eat little restaurant envelopes of mustard on the sidelines during a game for the same reason.

I am getting a trainer starting next week. actually most of what I am doing...I have been doing since before hunting season under the PT's supervision. Now they are weaning me off and I'm doing more gym time so my reps haven't changed  10 reps @ 3x's on every thing. It's the added upper body and core exercises I have added with extra miles in the cardo....which I'm happy with ...did a10 min 4.5 mile on the bike at a 17 max level and they took my BP 123/73 with a 100 HB...which I think pretty good right off the bike..

Thanks Guys I guess a hot soak in the tub just before bed will be my next try

You are breaking down muscle every time you work out and it will causes soreness.  The more your body adapts, the less sore you will be from working out, but even with 29 years of constant heavy training, I am still sore up to 2 days after training (Usually more sore on day 2).  In fact, if I am not sore, it tells me that I need to change up my workouts because the body has adapted and I am not really breaking down the muscle such that it needs to rebuild stronger.

Naproxen (aleve), lots of water and potassium help.  Be sure you are getting sufficient protein to allow the muscle to rebuild.  Keep at it Grow, best thing you can do to slow down aging.

It's the silk /coconut water combo drink...just enough to get everything to blend up...I also use plain coconut water to do that it has 13% of your days potasium needs..2% carbs...yep bananas hold alot of sugars...I use them usually when trying to get rid of the ones getting too ripe...

I picked 150 #'s of blue berries this year and use those mostly ...frozen and not sweetened ...they make good smoothies...use lots of raw cabbage as well..some times yams and the squash I grew in the garden ...geez I grew so much...froze and then whole stored so much I had to find ways to use it...seeing I'm really not into cooked winter squash.

I bought one of those TENS Units at the State Fair last year, and for us old timers who have muscle aches, this machine is worth every penny! I have had trouble with a dislocated shoulder injury for years and PT wasent doing much, after 15 min with this electrical shock zapping my shoulder I had full mobility and no pain for the first time since the injury. I must tell you I was skeptical when I first tried it and the price tag of $250 is alittle steep, however I can now work out and use my shoulder.

Ohh...... they used that on me when I was in PT for my broken leg 10 years ago...I'll tell ya...I wouldn't mind it on these back muscles...lol.... Didn't think something as simple as doing a bridge would use quite so many different muscle groups...though tossing around 4 50#  bags of feed in and out of a cart then the trunk and then the gator didn't help after working out...as Mr B keeps reminding me ...your not 50 anymore...So in perspective...his saying  "Your not 30 any more" does not sound as bad as it did at the time....lol

Like some guys have already said.. soreness when working out is part of the game if you're doing it right... the fact that you're recovering by the next morning is a good thing... I use to do the hot tub before and after martial arts training for 25 years... never got rid of the pain totally, but loosened me up for my workout and eased the soreness afterwards. As long as you aren't experience long term pain, you're good.

SITS.....I do that every morning before my feet hit the floor...I have a strap I use for calf and thigh stretches...I do back stretching and arm stretching...then feet hit floor and it's heel/toe lifts...the hot soak and off to gym or I do my leg lifts free weights and crunches and 4 miles on elliptical..I repeat morning stretches at bed time....

Edited by growalot

I always remember to stretch before and after a workout along with a little bit of cardio (I hate cardio, hence just a little bit). When and how much to stretch is a topic that is continually debated but I know what works for me.

I also find that glutamine helps me to recover faster. Put it in your protein shake (assuming that you take one after your workout).

Without knowing your age or how long it's been since you normally worked out its hard to give a concrete answer.

Your cardio and stretching sounds good. If you haven't performed resistance exercises in some time - before you start to lift heavier weights or even think about doing the 2 or 3 set / 10-12 rep routines, you need to get your body ready to exercise.

For the first couple of months ( if you're older and don't work out) 1 set of each exercise using low weight and a high repetition. ( like a 10 lb curl 25-30 times). Do that for each muscle group that you're working on.

All your doing is getting your muscles and tendons flexible and ready to exercise. If you don't all your going to do is push too hard too fast and injure yourself. After a month or two of preparing yourself, you can start to really target a more traditional workout.