Walking in the woods in the dark :)

TheHunter

I've hunting in Pine Bush 1/2 my life... And bears are not in the area.  However, I was invited to hunt up in delaware county where there are plenty of bears, big ones too!

In fear of sounding like a big wuss, I've never been a fan of walking in the woods in the dark.  I don't like the feeling of not seeing what is around me.  While where I hunt now, the biggest predator is maybe a yote.  I know people have seen a few bears in the area too.

So that brings me to where I was invited to hunt, there are huge bears around.  Is this something I should be worried about?  Just freaks me out a bit walking in or out in pitch darkness with maybe a little flash light. 

There I said it!  :D

So that brings me to where I was invited to hunt, there are huge bears around.  Is this something I should be worried about?  Just freaks me out a bit walking in or out in pitch darkness with maybe a little flash light. 

There I said it!  :D

No, this isn't something you really should be worried about .......... but just try to get those thoughts out of your head ..... lol.

Doc

My youngest son and I went down to south Bristol on Canadaigua Lake (Hawkes Road) . I wasn't ready to head for my stand yet and it was pitch dark . My son started down the hill to the blind and was gone for about 5 minutes . I heard this high pitched scream that gave me goose bumps . I called my son on the radio and he said he heard it also and almost crapped his shorts .

Folks down there claim to have seen a large cat like a cougar . The DEC deneys there are any in NY . The following year I was in my treestand and heard a scream . Shortly afterwards I saw a gray fox . This happened 3 times in the same day . I convinced myself that it must have been what I heard the 1st time .

Noises are scarier when you can't see or don't know what made them !  :O

Here's an article that you should read next time before going out in the dark ..... lol.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Music/10/29/canada.singer.killed/index.html

If that don't do it, watch the movie, Cujo again. Now start thinking about an encounter with a bear with rabies. Even better, let's say it's bow season and that is the only weapon that you have ..... Ha-ha.

Now let all these things work with your imagination. Next thing you know, you will shut off the alarm and roll over and go back to sleep.

It's easier said than done, but you have to get control of that imagination and focus on the fact that there is nothing there in the dark that isn't there in the daylight.

Doc

I have gone on a number of spring baited bear hunts, and still get the willies coming out at night. Bears have phenomenal hearing and sense of smell. They know you are around if you are shuflfling around in the woods, even at your quietest. Black bears are actually very timid, and terrified of man.  As I said, I still get the willies, even knowing I dont have to worry...it is part of the fun. Then again, at scout camp (almost 30 years ago) a counselor friend of mine actually fell over a bear! Both were so scared witless they didnt know what to do!

Carry a penlight. It is all the comfort and protection you need. He didnt have one.

I have seen bears 4 or 5 times while hunting. the last time was this pass opening day of gun season for deer that 300lb+ bear came with in 20 feet I was hunting on the ground. I told it to get!! and it walked away. I did walk into one going to my stand during bow season in the dark and just yelled HEY BEAR!!! and it took off. nothing like a bear in the morning to wake you up better then coffee.

• Like 1

When I was about 19 years old. My older brother and I where on a blood trail of that my father had shot with his bow around Montgomery, NY. The both of use droped are gear, all but a AA flashlight each a knife and a tow rope and we were on the hunt. We fallowed the trail into heavy brush and 7' saplings. Struggling just to stand up and walk forward we heard the local fire horn go in. all of a sudden we were caught in the middle of a pack of yotes howling at the fire horn. they were between 40 and 100 yard away from us. For like 2 - 4 minutes the horn was going and the two of use dooked out of the brush as fast as we could. I didn't feel all the prickers that I had in my legs and arms til I was in my truck on the way home. Well we both went back the next morning and the deer was about 2/3 eaten, both rear legs and all of the inners gone. To this day I get a little jumpy  of the sounds around me when walking out of the woods.

One other time 2 years ago I walking to my blind in the after noon. I had to walk through 150 yards of 5 foot tall swamp grass when all I saw this big black thing 20 yeards away running. The first thing I did was grab a arrow and got ready. LOL well the bear was running away from me thank god. That was the first time I seen a bear in the woods. Crazy.lol

The scariest thing I have ever seen in the woods was a couple of over-sized german shepards that seemed to have a bit of an attitude. I guess they were claiming that part of the woods as their own since they really didn't seem to want to give any ground. I wasn't in to great a defensive position with just my bow and a hunting knife. So I pulled my coat up around my neck and put on my gloves (just in case) and slowly backed out of the area. Luckily, they didn't follow. That wasn't in the dark (fortunately) but was pretty tense none-the-less.

Doc

Lol.....The Boogey Man will get you.

It's amazing how those wacky thoughts will creep into your head when walking in the dark. Can't stop them either. Funny how sometimes I don't think about any of that stuff, then other times, I can't get it all out of my mind. Yeah, you bet .... every little snapped twig or rustle in the leaves becomes a rabid 10' bear frothing at the mouth and looking for something to mangle. The human imagination is an amazing thing ..... Ha-ha.

Doc

it is the thought of running into BIGFOOT that creeps me out. do I kill him to prove he exist then be known as the guy who killed BIGFOOT. The things that go though one's mind in the dark woods. ever see gnomes & fairies. I know there are fairies in the woods ever see the spots on some of the night trail cam photos there in one photo then in the next photo there gone. when the kid ask what are they i tell them its a flock of fairies. 

• Like 1

I wonder how many of you carry extra shorts in your backpack !  ::)  I have walked along a trail in almost pitch dark and heard something take off in the brush . The initial reaction is huge goose-bumps !

I have a headlamp with the colored lights and also white light . I also carry a mini-maglight for just in case . Quite often ther is just enough light on the horizion to see where I am going .

I never go in the woods without a sidearm ever.If you look around the board you well see where I said the wrong thing.I have never been attacked in anyway.But we only live once.I took m son fishing when he was real young when 2 low lifes came through the woods.I kept my knife close till they left and that was the last time I went with no pistol.So I have no problem walking in the dark to my stand.I  have to be the first one in the woods.I leave the cabin at 5'45 in the morning just to be the first.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been charged ...by deer...circled by yote and I went to camp to bow hunt bear...left gear in truck that was backed up to cabin door....at 4 am I decided to get gear and not to turn on the outside light...opened door took 2 steps and opened passenger door of the Dodge..The dome light came on and I hear  HUMPP....HUMPH  ;) Oh..that's not good ...I leaned around the cab and standing/leaning on truck is the bear I came to hunt!  Ya well brain was yelling jump in truck ...make for door...but the feet weren't in the conversation and there I stood...listening as he plopped to the ground and rustle through the oak leaves to the back of truck...My mind now yelling if he rounds that bed your in trouble move!..hhmm nope...I saw him moving away up hill to the woods...turned grabbed gear and hopped back inside

I showered ate and out the door I went in the dark...light in pocket...bow in one hand and my trusty little gutting knife in the other...I get about 100 ft from cabin and the woods behind the cabin erupt in scream/growls ...snapping trees and a god awful scream...i TRUELY BELIEVE i STOOD IN THAT DRIVE GROWING HAIR JUST SO IT COULD STAND ON END...AS SUDDEN AS IT STARTED IT STOPPED...THAT WAS A LONG MILE HIKE TO MY STAND AND FAST...oops sorry about caps....I sat 12 hours that day and never saw even a deer ;)

• Like 2

Used to get uneasy when I started 40 years ago.  But after so many years of walking in the woods in the dark, it doesn't bother me anymore.  If there is a full moon or enough light in the sky, I don't even use the flashlight anymore.

Seems to scare the crap out of anybody that hunts with me though!

Hunt with a buddy that can't run as fast as you can . If you are attacked by a bear in the dark , knock your buddy down and run as fast as you can !

So this is why I got an invataion to hunt bear in new york thanks Fasteddie