single shot in 308 cal

sweet old bill

If weight is an issue, consider one of the low end bolt actions.

The Ruger American in .308 is lighter than most single shots, under 6.5 pounds.

Hesselson's in Elmira Heights has them on sale this week for $250.

WOW.......that is a low price.  If I spot one in LH and the timing & price are even remotely good, I'm scooping it!

Guys are going bonkers for them.

The lighter the rifle , the more you feel the recoil .

True enough but stock design and of course bullet weight can make a difference.

I just got my father a Kimber Montana, .308,  it weighs 5 lbs 2 oz out of the box.  I put a Leupold 3.5-10 in Talleys mounts on it and I think it goes about 6 lbs 4 oz now.  I was considering getting the Managed Recoil loads to sight it in and for pop's to hunt with.  I couldn't find that ammo (and I was chomping at the bit to shoot it!) so opted for some blue box 150gr Federal ammo.  I was very pleasantly surprised at the recoil from the bench.  He'll have no problem with it and he just turned 75 in December.

• Like 1

Marlin's H&R Company makes a .308 single shot rifle that weighs 7 pounds . To me , H&R is the same as NEF in which I have a 25-06 , .223 , 12 ga Turkey gun and a 50 cal ML . I love the single shots .

Here is a link to the H&R rifles

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Rifles/youth.asp

I have the NEF 223, 20 ga. slug gun & the 50 cal. ML all good shooters. The slug gun with rifled barrel is dead on at 125 yds.

Bill, I cannot see your reasoning for wanting a light rifle, the single shot I can see. You and I are the same age and I do have a breathing problem also, I get out of breath in walking short distances. I just went the other way and bought a 7+ pound rifle because as mentioned above less recoil. And I am not going to be walking around all day threw the woods. I looked at it 2 ways. At our age should I just buy a cheap shooter, any will kill a deer with the right shot placement or buy a quality made rifle that I will enjoy for the amount of time I have left.Well I went the way of a quality made and proven to be an accurate rifle.not a single shot but something I was looking for.and happend to be at the right place at the right time and got it for almost 1/2 of it's selling price.

One rifle that was not mentioned and I have had a few different calibers threw the years ( shame the do not offer it in .308 ) but they do offer it in 7mm-08 is the Ruger #1 . Another well proven simple design. but also not cheap.

One rifle that was not mentioned and I have had a few different calibers threw the years ( shame the do not offer it in .308 ) but they do offer it in 7mm-08 is the Ruger #1 . Another well proven simple design. but also not cheap.

nice guns, my Dad has one in 7x57 which is a pleasure to shoot and very light to carry.........I have one in .243 which has zero recoil.

What About 7mm-08 if kick is a problem. You know I never felt the kick of a gun when I killed a deer its the last thing on my mind.

The only time I have felt the kick is if I didn't have the gun shouldered right when bird hunting or trap shooting. I don't ever remember feeling it when shooting a deer.   Some times I think people worry about recoil too much. 

• Like 1

thanks all for the suggestions...maybe the best for me is to stay with my other rifle and that is a Remington 742 semi auto in 308 cal that I have setup with a 3 to 5 scope and am shooting Remington soft nose in 180 gr...

I do not do the walking I use to and just look for a place close to the road or our pasture to sit... So OMG suggestion is the best for me...

Bill I had a 742 in 30  - 06 for many years and deer. Just proper cleaning and no problems.I had another one years later that must have been made on a Friday or Monday. If you remember what they said about cars made on them days. It should have been a factory reject. Just would not shoot where you aimed it.

thanks all for the suggestions...maybe the best for me is to stay with my other rifle and that is a Remington 742 semi auto in 308 cal that I have setup with a 3 to 5 scope and am shooting Remington soft nose in 180 gr...

I do not do the walking I use to and just look for a place close to the road or our pasture to sit... So OMG suggestion is the best for me...

Bill --- Just put one bullet in the chamber and remove the clip , magazine , whatever . That will make it lighter ! :rofl:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If weight is an issue, consider one of the low end bolt actions.

The Ruger American in .308 is lighter than most single shots, under 6.5 pounds.

Hesselson's in Elmira Heights has them on sale this week for $250.

Savage AXIS II is light. (too light for my tastes)

Remington Mountain Rifle is another lightweight. about 7# W/a compact svope.