Weird looking deer

fasteddie

Shot one this year with one of those balls on it.I simply cut it off.My kids were grosed out though.It was funny.I read somewhere it is from too much fertilizer on your food plots.I think that is just an assumption though,since there is only one food plot near me.And it is a small one they don't fertilize.I wonder what the cause really is.

the growthes are called Fibroma

Wart-like growths found on the skin of white-tailed deer and other members of the deer family are fibromas. They are popularly referred to as skin tumors, or simply warts. Histopathologists identify skin tumors from deer as papillomas, fibromas, or papillofibromas depending upon the predominate type of tissue making up the tumor.

I would hope that would be the least they could do. :-\ I don't think anyone goes out to shoot a deer that looks like that fill the corners of the freezer. Heck, I aint sure my processor would cut that thing up.

It would be kinda fun to pass out a few trays of fresh venison jerkey to the in-laws for the holidays. Give them a week to chew on it before you send a picture of your 2010 kill. :D

I bet the DEC would have the same response as the architech that was telling me the raised bed leach field was dumping drinking grade water into the lake. It was on a project I was working on ..the outflow from the leach bed ran down a very nice looking water ladder into a stream leading to the lake....I bent over...dipped a cup and offered it to him to drink...he turned around and walked away.

I bet those DEC that said it was ok wouldn't sereve it to their kids.

the growthes are called Fibroma

Wart-like growths found on the skin of white-tailed deer and other members of the deer family are fibromas. They are popularly referred to as skin tumors, or simply warts. Histopathologists identify skin tumors from deer as papillomas, fibromas, or papillofibromas depending upon the predominate type of tissue making up the tumor.

Would that be from a virus then ?

The masses that can appear on our Goats...are caused by a virus...we have to lance them every once in a while....using a hazard suit and face mask to drain the puss....They are only skin deep.....done right they rarely reappear...when skinning the deer those masses come off with the hide...I personally would think twice about the meat....once seen...well there's no erasing that image is there?

well if it is viral...does that mean it has access to the blood stream? If it is blood borne, even though the "mases" are a visible symptom that comes off, wouldn't the virus be throughout the body of the deer. I am not very versed in anything medical and my only frame of reference would be the common cold virus in humans.

I just keep going back in my head when I came across bluegills in a small lake I fished back home. while filleting them there were small white wiggling worms just under the skin inbetween the flakes of meat. I called DEC and was told that "there are no known parasites in New Yorks fish that, if cooked properly, would be harmful to humans"

Worms in my fish----NOPE

Viruses in my deer----see above..lol