That just because you want it caliber

The one weapon I would really like to own would be a Thompson submachine gun.

Until you figure out how much it cost to fill the drum mag and how fast it empties. and it weighs a ton.

Edited by RobC

One day, I want to add an original WWII M1 Garand in really good condition.  I won't ever take it out in fear of messing it up.

My garand is WWII vintage..At least the reciever ( 1943 Springfield Armory)

The other parts, WHO KNOWS ? because most garands were rebuilt time after time, even the Korean War vintage ones. They were designed so that you could take 50 rifles, completely disassemble them, throw all the parts in a pile and them reassemble them at random and each rifle should function properly AND group within specs, which was perhaps 2 to 4 MOA. Can't remember for sure.

It has it's battle scars, and I enjoy shooting it and hunting with it...

Even it were pristine, I'd still take it out , because it is such a pleasure to shoot.

Edited by Pygmy
  • Like 1

I didn't answer for my JUST BECAUSE caliber..

I'm TORN on that...

Part of me wants a 45/70 lever gun with a ghost ring peep...

Part of me wants a classy single shot like a Ruger #1 in some cool classic chambering like .303 British.. Ruger made a few of those awhile back for the Canadian market...

Part of me wants a sleek commercial Mauser in 9.3 x 57 as an ultimate NY and PA woods rifle...

Then I see something really cool like an unissued #4 SMLE in .303and think how much I'd like to use it to hunt deer with the issue sights..

Then I realize I need another firearm like I need another HOLE in my head...<< SIGH >>....

Edited by Pygmy

I didn't answer for my JUST BECAUSE caliber..

I'm TORN on that...

Part of me wants a 45/70 lever gun with a ghost ring peep...

Part of me wants a classy single shot like a Ruger #1 in some cool classic chambering like .303 British..

Part of me wants a sleek commercial Mauser in 9.3 x 57 as an ultimate NY and PA woods rifle...

Then I see something really cool like an unissued #4 SMLE in .303and think how much I'd like to use it to hunt deer with the issue sights..

Then I realize I need another firearm like I need another HOLE in my head...<< SIGH >>....

I have the Marlin Guide gun which is a 45/70 and that thing rocks and because all of u guys are enablers I ordered me the Alaskan Brush gun in 338 win mag.
  • Like 1

My two daughters are getting close to legal hunting age, and I will probably set them up with a nice, light-weight .243, bolt-action (likely a Ruger, maybe a Savage).   Even if the girls don't take to hunting, that would give me a good middleweight, between my 22/250 and 30/06 Ruger M77's.  I will set it up with a quality scope with good light gathering ability like an old Redfield Illuminator or similar.   That would make a perfect gun for popping coyotes on moonlit nights, and also a great carry gun for tracking whitetails in the Adirondacks.    I also miss my old Marlin 30/30 lever a little for that duty, but I get a lot more use out of the 22/250 bolt I traded it for, on woodchucks, and the heavier 30/06 bolt still gets the job done on the deer.  If both daughters take to hunting then one will get a Marlin 30/30, lever.  Right now one has a Daisy "Red-Rider", and the other a Crossman 760 BB gun and they are both developing into pretty good shots. A "shooter" M1 Garand would be nice for a little target shooting and just for the nostalgia aspect.  No gun is more responsible than that for us still being able to speak English as the primary language in this country.  That sure beats German or Japanese.        

The only reason I didn't get the 375 was ammo availability. If it was more options I would've bought that.

I'd tell you to buy a 375 H&H for that reason anyway......why buy a wanna be, when you could have the real thing.

Like a half a inch of bolt throw anyone notices. LOL

• Like 1

I'd tell you to buy a 375 H&H for that reason anyway......why buy a wanna be, when you could have the real thing.

Like a half a inch of bolt throw anyone notices. LOL

And besides that, those big, long cartridges hanging on the front of your vest look SOOOO cool !!...<<grin>>...

Picture Stewart Granger in a 1950s safari flick... Of course the limey dork probably never shot a REAL rifle in his life..!!.. hehehehe....

• Like 1

I could go for a 45/70. Might just get a Ruger  SR9  9mm.   But like mentioned before, I need another gun l like I need a hole in my head!!

That reminds of a quote from JFK on November 21 , 1963..

" Dammit, Jackie....I need to to go to DALLAS tomorrow like I need a hole in my head"...

For me I have no calibers I need to have anymore.  But if you said a gun "just because you want it" it would be one I let slip through my fingers......UGGH.

It was a Ruger single shot Number 1 full stock in 30-06 (I think I have all that correct?).  It had a 4x Leupold scope on it. 

My friend needed the cash so I bought it, swiped the scope off it and sold it for what I had into it essentially getting the scope for zip.  I'm pretty sure it was $550 but could have been $600, I don't recall.  It was pristine..........

I tried to sell it on a couple web sites but couldn't make it work.  Another friend bought it and it hasn't seen the light of day since!  The only positive is it is still possible I could get it....................... ;)

Somewhere on my computer I have picture of it, I'll see if I can hunt it down.

A Leupold 4x scope ?

The original owner knew what he was doing ..<<grin>>...

His WIDOW probably sold it.

Ya.....that scope sits on my (no surprise) Mannlicher stocked 10/22.  I love it on that gun...........

Widow's?  Come on, think positive!

Ya.....that scope sits on my (no surprise) Mannlicher stocked 10/22.  I love it on that gun...........

Widow's?  Come on, think positive!

I AM thinking positive ..

Anybody with enough class to buy a Ruger #1 International and mount a 4X Leupold on it would NEVER part with it if he was alive !

A friend of mine has a .416 Rem and he often hunts deer with it just because he likes to shoot it.

When he brings it to the range, invariably someone will ask him " What are you going to shoot with THAT ? "

His pat answer is always " Anything I WANT to shoot" .

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I have a Sako 375HH. I never hunt w it but had planned Africa many years ago n was bringing this gun. I never made it so the gun is of no use now but I love it. Shoots great n has very little kick.

I also have a Sako 375 H&H. Mine is a left hand deluxe model.......I killed one PA buck with it and also took it to Alaska for a bear hunt.

Hopefully it goes to Africa someday because like you, that's why I bought it!

• Like 1