Shotgun Slugs

Anyone use the Remington Accutip Bonded Sabot Slug (http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/shotshells/slugs/premier-accutip-bonded-sabot-slug.aspx)

If so how'd they work? 

Xmas gift was a new 870 (http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/shotguns/model-870/model-870-sps-shurshot-synthetic-super-slug.aspx)

Obviously Remington recommended their slugs for the gun, but if anyone shoots a similar model gun what type of slug have you been most happy with?

Prob end up getting the Accutip and Hornady SST just to compare both seems like most have gave the thumbs up to the SST's

Every gun has it's own taste for ammo, my Remington 11-87 Premier (w/Hastings full rifled cantilevered barrel) absolutely loves the Brenneke Short Heavy Field Magnum slugs.

I am going to try the Remmy Accutip's in one of my other slug guns, I am not pleased with the performance of the solid copper sabots.

The Accutip''s have numerous high performance ratings, they appear to be a great set up.

FDXX75

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shoot the Hornady SST slugs in both of my 12ga Ithaca's. I used to use Federals but I swear they changed the powder in them and after shooting two slugs the barrel was fouled real bad. I switched to the SST's and they fire clean and group awesome. With my Ithaca Storm I have no issues shooting 200 yards with it. Yes it has a scope. I did learn to pay attention to the batch numbers. If I buy 10 boxes to sight in and hunt with I make sure they are all from the same batch.

Personally, I found that my Ithaca liked the old 2 3/4" Winchester Rifled Slugs.  Of course I'm not going to shoot a deer at 200 yards but I can't even think of scenario where I can see past 150 yards from my stands.  I hunt in the brush thickets so I selected a bullet that will bust the brush down if need be... not to mention what they can do to a deer.

• 2 weeks later...

I am assuming that you're using a rifled barrel.  If so, I have a friend who used the Hornaday's and had similar problems shooting deer and not getting the expansion he wanted.  I used to use Winchester sabot and liked the fact that they were very accurate in my Rem 870 but when I shot a deer at less than 20 yds and the slug didn't penetrate the shoulder bone I looked for something else.  Since then, my sons and I have been using the Federal/ Barnes hollowpoint expanders in our 12 gauges.  We've had excellent results with accuracy and performance.  Most deer drop where they stand.  I've not had one go more than 20-30 yds. after being hit.  I'd recommend them very highly.  If you want to save cost, you might try casting your own with the Lyman sabot mold.  I've had very promising results with them so far in testing for accuracy.  But, haven't shot a deer with one yet.  Good Luck!

I am assuming that you're using a rifled barrel.  If so, I have a friend who used the Hornaday's and had similar problems shooting deer and not getting the expansion he wanted.  I used to use Winchester sabot and liked the fact that they were very accurate in my Rem 870 but when I shot a deer at less than 20 yds and the slug didn't penetrate the shoulder bone I looked for something else.  Since then, my sons and I have been using the Federal/ Barnes hollowpoint expanders in our 12 gauges.  We've had excellent results with accuracy and performance.  Most deer drop where they stand.  I've not had one go more than 20-30 yds. after being hit.  I'd recommend them very highly.  If you want to save cost, you might try casting your own with the Lyman sabot mold.  I've had very promising results with them so far in testing for accuracy.  But, haven't shot a deer with one yet.  Good Luck!

HUNT6246,

I would like to pick your brain a bit about reloading your own slugs, what components are you using? (hulls, wads, powder,etc) Also, are you using a special crimper, say roll crimp or reg. star crimp?

What type of loader are you using as well?

FDXX75

Fulldraw -

No big secrets!  It's been a few years since I played with them but due to the increasing ammo costs and where I hunt, I plan to get back into it again.  I've just followed the recipes from the Lyman Shotgun reloading handbooks.  I used whatever lead I could get at the time, (hard or soft lead didn't seem to matter) and weighed all of the cast slugs and discarded any that were off from the others by a few percent.  Best luck was with the pink WWAA12F114 pink wads, star crimp and low brass 2 3/4" Remington ribbed hulls if I recall correctly.  I tried different powders and hulls but was able to get groups under 2" from my Hastings barrel at 75 yds. off of a benchrest.  I didn't check my notes but believe that Blue Dot was one of the better performers accuracy wise.  But some powders did seem to kick more than others.  One fellow I used to work with had used these slugs on deer for many years and was very happy with their performance.  As far as I know, he never did get into these high priced slugs like many of us are being faced with these days.

• 3 months later...

Was going to start a new thread but, found this old one. What has happened to Brenneke shot gun shells. The guns shops in my area said they have gone out of business. On our last box of 12 ga. 3" KO Sabots which shot the best out of our guns. Price on our boxes read $ 6.99 to give you an idea, the last time we purchased.

When I had a smooth bore . I shot the Federal and /or Winchester cheap 2 3/4" rifled slugs . When I bought my rifled barrel , I shot the same slugs . Didn't see a need to change even when folks told me that I shouldn't be shooting rifled slugs in a rifled barrel .

I tried those Remington copper sabot jobs a long time ago and they patterned like buckshot out of my Mossberg.  I always had good luck with the Lightfield sabots, but I haven't shot my slug gun since they opened Oneida County to rifle.  :)  ;D

I just spoke to Charlie in Allentown PA.  that heads  Brenneke Customer Service. Brenneke is fully operational and sabot slugs are available.  Their were some shortages last fall with the 3" KO sabots, and others. He said the 3" sabot wasn't as popular as they once were.  The components are shipped from Germany and assembled in the U.S.  Sometimes, they cannot get all the components for one specific shell, thus creating the shortage. He did say the the new Green Lighting shell had the same knockdown power  of the KO with a longer range ability. They also  are major manufactures for  the military.  To find a retailer, go to www. EllettBrothers.com; punch in your zip code. If a dealer doesn't stock the item, they are willing to order it.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone ever taken a deer using Winchester Super X Power Point 1oz slugs? I've been impressed with their accuracy just curious on what kind of hurt they put on a deer.

When using a slug gun does it matter if the barrel is rifled when using rifled slugs? I 've been using rifled slugs in my 870 with a rifled barrel and I'm getting really tight groups @ 100 yards with it.

Has anyone ever taken a deer using Winchester Super X Power Point 1oz slugs? I've been impressed with their accuracy just curious on what kind of hurt they put on a deer.

When using a slug gun does it matter if the barrel is rifled when using rifled slugs? I 've been using rifled slugs in my 870 with a rifled barrel and I'm getting really tight groups @ 100 yards with it.

The only type of slugs that cant be used with a smooth bore are sabots. Regular rifled slugs are fine. I used to shoot a smooth more with a modified choke with regular slugs and it did ok. I wasnt big on the bead sight, so I went to a rifled barrel and it tightened up alot. Moved to sabots and tightened up even more.