So do you think NYS will expand the crossbow season

MACHINIST

There always is a few "traditionalists" that hang on in any form of hunting. However,the problem is when that pool of people becomes small and under-represented and therefore targeted by the antis.

When the antis can argue that such an activity is not efficient and inhumane as they have argued against bow hunting in the seventies and early eighties they hone in on it more and put it on the top of their agenda.

Chant how hunters stick together all you want, but truth is that the less popular forms of hunting are on the bottom of the pro-hunting agenda. Let me map it out for you: Same activity on the top of the antis agenda is on the bottom of the pro-hunting agenda, what happens? Along that paradigm it is not hard to imagine traditional bow hunting disappearing.  

Another thing I can imagine for the future is traditional bow hunting being justified by the DEC for use with 50 yard setbacks, Something like, we need to get at the overpopulated deer taking refuge close to homes and buildings... 

Edited by mike rossi

Unregulated. It's a personal opinion of mine that crossbows should strictly be kept to the disabled who are not able to draw a compound. I realize this would be difficult. Now everyone tale a second to relax. I'm anti crossbow big deal.

you won't get anyone to relax on here. When your opinion is different or in the minority they smell blood. It's gotten worse over the last year or so too. If you're liberal, from the city, anti-crossbow, pro antler restrictions, trophy hunt etc. You're not welcome. It's sad really, because the diversity of any group is what makes it strong.

I often wonder why the comments of a few members being discussed by a few dozen hunters worries so many. It's a small forum of like minded individuals with similar interests. We're not making policy here.

There always is a few "traditionalists" that hang on in any form of hunting. However,the problem is when that pool of people becomes small and under-represented and therefore targeted by the antis.

When the antis can argue that such an activity is not efficient and inhumane as they have argued against bow hunting in the seventies and early eighties they hone in on it more and put it on the top of their agenda.

Chant how hunters stick together all you want, but truth is that the less popular forms of hunting are on the bottom of the pro-hunting agenda. Let me map it out for you: Same activity on the top of the antis agenda is on the bottom of the pro-hunting agenda, what happens? Along that paradigm it is not hard to imagine traditional bow hunting disappearing.  

Another thing I can imagine for the future is traditional bow hunting being justified by the DEC for use with 50 yard setbacks, Something like, we need to get at the overpopulated deer taking refuge close to homes and buildings... 

Mike, archery (vertical) is 150 ft right now.

Do we want one long any implement deer season? Yep that would be great. Wounder how many guys would drop there bow and go with guns. I bet quite a few.

I see nothing wrong crossbow and think that in 2 years tops you will see all of archery.  

Those of you seeking them "Jesus" arrows are definitely on the right track. If you get your act together there, you will be richly blessed as I have been. "Jesus" bullets work good also.

You're a freaking goofball!

Honestly, I'm a little tired of seeing that pic of your lucky pop shot like that's the way you had it planned..... you got lucky, PERIOD!

It had nothing to do with what an efficient killer an x-bow can be..., it had nothing to do with Gods greater plan..., and it certainly had NOTHING to do with you being proficient with your weapon and sticking to your effective range. I'm still trying to think of what you'd be holding in that first pic of your bolt had inadvertently stuck in that deers azz.

BUT, what a great opportunity to drop a few of my own pics here, so maybe they'll be absorbed into that Biblical abyss between your ears and you can quit wasting Gods time with your constant pleading for help with your inadequacies..

26yds from the ground right where I wanted my bolt to land without any kind of divine intervention. A quick, clean kill just as I had rehearsed and planned.

Making mistakes is going to happen no matter what the weapon, but if your building off of those poor decisions expecting things will always work out for the best....well, I'm sure God will find a way to punish you for making one of his creations suffer in the end.

Can I get an Amen,lol!

DSC_0425_01_zpslj4wrosi.jpg

DSC_0409_01_zps7p95duvo.jpg

• Like 12

you won't get anyone to relax on here. When your opinion is different or in the minority they smell blood. It's gotten worse over the last year or so too. If you're liberal, from the city, anti-crossbow, pro antler restrictions, trophy hunt etc. You're not welcome. It's sad really, because the diversity of any group is what makes it strong.

I often wonder why the comments of a few members being discussed by a few dozen hunters worries so many. It's a small forum of like minded individuals with similar interests. We're not making policy here.

Its not those things at all belo, stop trying to be a freaking martyr around here. Like I said in the other thread, you are far more prone to rubbing people the wrong way when you use falsities to try and support your opinion. There are plenty of people on here that disagree with one another and respectfully discuss their differences.

People here are generally passionate about hunting and the outdoors, and that passion is reflected in their posts. No reason to whine about it. If you dont like it, then dont visit the site, or open those posts.

• Like 1

Its not those things at all belo, stop trying to be a freaking martyr around here. Like I said in the other thread, you are far more prone to rubbing people the wrong way when you use falsities to try and support your opinion. There are plenty of people on here that disagree with one another and respectfully discuss their differences.

People here are generally passionate about hunting and the outdoors, and that passion is reflected in their posts. No reason to whine about it. If you dont like it, then dont visit the site, or open those posts.

bye-scraps19.gif

Scorpyd business model sucks. They just crushed their largest retailer and ceased business with him. They are trying to go direct or something.

That and I cannot imagine paying $1500 for one...or a bow. Heck I'd need to see one sweet rifle to want to buy at that price.

Scorpyd business model sucks. They just crushed their largest retailer and ceased business with him. They are trying to go direct or something.

That and I cannot imagine paying $1500 for one...or a bow. Heck I'd need to see one sweet rifle to want to buy at that price.

I didnt know that,That makes a big difference

1200.00 around here

That's not as bad then.If you have a lower your golden

I'm only 73 and don't have the need or desire for a X-bow yet and will stick with my compounds . If I were to go with a X-bow I would probably go with the Barnett Vengence as it's only about $900 . The way the NYS Regs are now is fine . Then again , where I hunt no one uses them so it's rather a moot point .

There always is a few "traditionalists" that hang on in any form of hunting. However, the problem is when that pool of people becomes small and under-represented and therefore targeted by the antis.

It's not only the anti-hunters that zero in on the minorities of hunting. The more-effective danger of that kind of bias comes from our own hunting population. Those that intentionally built extreme challenge into their hunting by using hunting equipment of yester-year are now targeted by our own general hunting community who jealously eyeball the special seasons that were necessarily carved out for this kind of "high-challenge" version of hunting. Today the emphasis now is to get rid of that silly notion of voluntarily increasing challenges, and start working in the other direction. The mindset and motives of those entering bowhunting are now something that was never intended. Now it is "challenge be damned .... full speed ahead with technology" to change the very nature of this unique opportunity that had been forged by bowhunting fanatics. With that "challenge mentality" removed from bow seasons, the gates long ago were thrown open with an anything-goes mindset. Yes a few decades ago it was the compound bow, and now the crossbow. And anyone who thinks that it will all end with just crossbows doesn't really understand human nature very well. It doesn't take anyone with a crystal ball to predict more and more incursions of weapons that have nothing to do with archery. We have seen firearms incursions happen already. Look for more successful challenges from the muzzleloader enthusiasts. You cannot have a special weapons season that continues to grow it's success rates without having others start to question why you have been granted a special season at all.

It's not only the anti-hunters that zero in on the minorities of hunting. The more-effective danger of that kind of bias comes from our own hunting population. Those that intentionally built extreme challenge into their hunting by using hunting equipment of yester-year are now targeted by our own general hunting community who jealously eyeball the special seasons that were necessarily carved out for this kind of "high-challenge" version of hunting. Today the emphasis now is to get rid of that silly notion of voluntarily increasing challenges, and start working in the other direction. The mindset and motives of those entering bowhunting are now something that was never intended. Now it is "challenge be damned .... full speed ahead with technology" to change the very nature of this unique opportunity that had been forged by bowhunting fanatics. With that "challenge mentality" removed from bow seasons, the gates long ago were thrown open with an anything-goes mindset. Yes a few decades ago it was the compound bow, and now the crossbow. And anyone who thinks that it will all end with just crossbows doesn't really understand human nature very well. It doesn't take anyone with a crystal ball to predict more and more incursions of weapons that have nothing to do with archery. We have seen firearms incursions happen already. Look for more successful challenges from the muzzleloader enthusiasts. You cannot have a special weapons season that continues to grow it's success rates without having others start to question why you have been granted a special season at all.

With all of the cams, wheel bows, laser guided jesus arrows, and more, killing big mature bucks is still a challenge. Killing any deer remains a challenge. Our success rates, if pervasive that this technology shrunk the gap on challenge, would show for it. At the end of the day it is the indian and not the bow, and those indians are not getting much smarter based on the success rate.

Edited by phade
  • Like 1

With all of the cams, wheel bows, laser guided jesus arrows, and more, killing big mature bucks is still a challenge. Killing any deer remains a challenge. Our success rates, if pervasive that this technology shrunk the gap on challenge, would show for it. At the end of the day it is the indian and not the bow, and those indians are not getting much smarter based on the success rate.

Well, it truly is silly to deny the part that today's hi-tech bows, arrows, and other gadgets and trinkets have played in the escalating success rates of today compared to those of pre-compound days. I was there when the few bowhunters that were around used to brag about simply getting close enough for a shot rather than bragging what the antler score was. Getting even a small yearling doe was a rare and massive achievement. Those who use traditional equipment could explain to you about "challenge" in deer hunting. Likely they will not be telling you about their 40, 50, or 60 yard successful shots....lol.

I'm only 73 and don't have the need or desire for a X-bow yet and will stick with my compounds

I have one year up on you and my body went down hill ,Way down in the past year, in fact I only bow hunted 1 day last season. I lost the use of my right hand and wrist for 16 weeks. Then it moved to my left hand to sholder for 2 weeks. I now have what feels like a torn rotator cuff in the left side.I am not and never have been a couch potato type person, always on the move doing something.

I bought one the middle of last years bow season but only sighted it in , but was very pleased with the results at 30 yards.

As some people say once you reach 70 it is all down hill from there. :rolleyes:

Well, it truly is silly to deny the part that today's hi-tech bows, arrows, and other gadgets and trinkets have played in the escalating success rates of today compared to those of pre-compound days. I was there when the few bowhunters that were around used to brag about simply getting close enough for a shot rather than bragging what the antler score was. Getting even a small yearling doe was a rare and massive achievement. Those who use traditional equipment could explain to you about "challenge" in deer hunting. Likely they will not be telling you about their 40, 50, or 60 yard successful shots....lol.

I started out traditional. I wasn't allowed down from the treestand in the yard the first day I ever touched a bow until I hit 3 of 5 arrows into a 2 liter soda bottle filled w/water at 10 yds. That stupid quiver on a string went up and down that ladder to refill more times than I care to admit. I didn't even handle a bow with a cam on it until after my second season well after learning how to shoot consistently trad. I am aware of the challenge that comes with it. It still doesn't change my mind.

Lots of people walked barefoot uphill in the snow each day to school. Deer back then were rare - deer now are relatively speaking, plentiful. And it's still not easy. Going off on an old man "in the old days" diatribe about technology might feel good, but really at the end of the day, I don't really look at someone's harvest and go "that's not as big of an accomplishment as Doc's yearling that he shot in his loin cloth after whittling his arrow, knapping his stone broadhead, chewing his sinew string into a usable form, and crafting an osage bow by basic hand implement."

There is alot to learn about history and from the tales of others, including the wisdom, no doubt. Eventually though, people grow wary of the constant "in my day reminders," once there is not as much to learn. Technology is here, here to stay, always has been, and always will be. You (in general, not you Doc) can complain about it, or try to say one method is higher than the other, but at the end of the day, it really doesn't freaking matter.

I have one year up on you and my body went down hill ,Way down in the past year, in fact I only bow hunted 1 day last season. I lost the use of my right hand and wrist for 16 weeks. Then it moved to my left hand to sholder for 2 weeks. I now have what feels like a torn rotator cuff in the left side.I am not and never have been a couch potato type person, always on the move doing something.

I bought one the middle of last years bow season but only sighted it in , but was very pleased with the results at 30 yards.

As some people say once you reach 70 it is all down hill from there. :rolleyes:

If I am hunting at 70 - outside of my family, career, and friendships, it will rank as an ultimate accomplishment for me in my life. Bless you.