So do you think NYS will expand the crossbow season

MACHINIST

I agree with Grampy if included in archery then a certification should be a requirement.

Even important people within the Crossbow Coalition want it to be included in bowhunting certification.  certification being a requirement is inevitably going to happen.  I think what GMan said makes sense and could see it happening that way.

Crossbows are the death of archery hunting in nys.

So then dont hunt with one,kind of like if you don't like whats on the TV then change the channel or how some antigun people think the world would be better off without guns.Its someones opinion and you know the old saying about that.I know friends that live in 5 states that allow crossbow hunting in their archery season and there is still a healthy amount of hunters that use compounds and traditional archery equipment.So I don't see how you can say that crossbows will be the death of archery in NYS.

Edited by MACHINIST
  • Like 2

Yep - killed Ohio.

Nobody bowhunts there anymore.

Anybody can still pick up a bow and hunt, so that would be a personal choice use or not use a conventional bow. There is no law that is keeping anyone from using a compound or recurve bow. Where did the bowhunters all go in Ohio?

I can see how hunters new to the archery scene would opt for a crossbow as opposed to a recurve or compound...........that would eliminate new "archers" picking up what is considered traditional archery gear by some, thus killing what many consider real bowhunting...........

Anybody can still pick up a bow and hunt, so that would be a personal choice use or not use a conventional bow. There is no law that is keeping anyone from using a compound or recurve bow. Where did the bowhunters all go in Ohio?

Forgot the sarcasm button.

• Like 1

Those of you seeking them "Jesus" arrows are definitely on the right track. If you get your act together there, you will be richly blessed as I have been. "Jesus" bullets work good also. Check out the rifle season buck he blessed me with last Thanksgiving weekend, right after I said a little prayer to just see a buck. That one was a long shot also (about 350 yards from what I can tell from Google maps). He dropped right in his tracks after taking a 150 gr Federal Classic into the rib cage. Not the biggest rack, but the largest bodied buck I have ever taken by a good margin. I estimate the dressed weight at about 240 lbs, since I could lift my own 200 lbs off the ground while only bringing his front end up on the other end of the rope and pulley.

As far as the anti-crossbow bow-hunters go, just try looking at the bright side. No one is even talking about taking regular bows away, and you will certainly be able to continue using then if you wish. A few more hunters in the woods might actually be a good thing in the long run if we hope to continue our hunting tradition in NY. If you loose a little strength due to injury or old age, you will still be able to participate in archery season. Lots less "practice-time" is needed with a crossbow, and time gets valuable as you get older and start families, buy homes, etc..

To those who feel obligated to ridicule my own shot choices whether it be too far or too small a deer, etc., I do appreciate your advice and will take it into consideration. I wish you the best of luck in your own future hunts and I encourage you to read the all-time best seller which contains the best advice you will find in any pursuit. Keep the advice coming.

post-5805-0-80807900-1427843876_thumb.jp

Edited by wolc123

Check out the rifle season buck he blessed me with last Thanksgiving weekend, right after I said a little prayer to just see a buck. 

I feel that if I need to talk to god and ask him for something it is a "I really have to have this thing".I would never pray for a deer or anything like that.Seems a little petty to me

• Like 2

Those of you seeking them "Jesus" arrows are definitely on the right track. If you get your act together there, you will be richly blessed as I have been. "Jesus" bullets work good also. Check out the rifle season buck he blessed me with last Thanksgiving weekend, right after I said a little prayer to just see a buck. That one was a long shot also (about 350 yards from what I can tell from Google maps). He dropped right in his tracks after taking a 150 gr Federal Classic into the rib cage. Not the biggest rack, but the largest bodied buck I have ever taken by a good margin. I estimate the dressed weight at about 240 lbs, since I could lift my own 200 lbs off the ground while only bringing his front end up on the other end of the rope and pulley.

As far as the anti-crossbow bow-hunters go, just try looking at the bright side. No one is even talking about taking regular bows away, and you will certainly be able to continue using then if you wish. A few more hunters in the woods might actually be a good thing in the long run if we hope to continue our hunting tradition in NY. If you loose a little strength due to injury or old age, you will still be able to participate in archery season. Lots less "practice-time" is needed with a crossbow, and time gets valuable as you get older and start families, buy homes, etc..

To those who feel obligated to ridicule my own shot choices whether it be too far or too small a deer, etc., I do appreciate your advice and will take it into consideration. I wish you the best of luck in your own future hunts and I encourage you to read the all-time best seller which contains the best advice you will find in any pursuit. Keep the advice coming.

40251_cgau-40k-jW-Spray-and-Pray-4.jpg

• Like 1

Unregulated. It's a personal opinion of mine that crossbows should strictly be kept to the disabled who are not able to draw a compound. I realize this would be difficult. Now everyone tale a second to relax. I'm anti crossbow big deal.

Why do you use a compound and not a recurve?

• Like 6

I find it funny that everyone picks up a rifle when they are made legal (county by county) the death of shotgun hunting in nys for sure...lol but crossbow omg the world will end.. as for ohio, I personally know a lot of bow hunters from Ashtabula to north baltimore (findley) that bow hunt with compounds and guess what they also own crosbows....

my personal experiance after witnessing a perfect heart shot at 70 yards awith a pse compound,limitations are only set by terrain and practice .with bow or crossbow.

crossbows are in general front heavy, and If canted on longer shots will result in misses same as a bow. Not every quarrel released is a kill shot crossbows do miss and deflect same as an arrow,most people I know who bought one also bow hunt with compounds. It's another tool same reason I pull out a black powder pistol to hunt. With just another challenge to do.

• Like 7

I find it funny that everyone picks up a rifle when they are made legal (county by county) the death of shotgun hunting in nys for sure...lol but crossbow omg the world will end.. as for ohio, I personally know a lot of bow hunters from Ashtabula to north baltimore (findley) that bow hunt with compounds and guess what they also own crosbows....

my personal experiance after witnessing a perfect heart shot at 70 yards awith a pse compound,limitations are only set by terrain and practice .with bow or crossbow.

crossbows are in general front heavy, and If canted on longer shots will result in misses same as a bow. Not every quarrel released is a kill shot crossbows do miss and deflect same as an arrow,most people I know who bought one also bow hunt with compounds. It's another tool same reason I pull out a black powder pistol to hunt. With just another challenge to do.

well said

• Like 1

I currently shoot Recurve, crossbow, Compound.

took me 2 years to be able to instinctively/Gap shoot to be able to put a group in the ten ring at 20 yards sometimes i think about it sometimes i dont. 

Compound, after a month of shooting and getting over the awkward feeling of swtiching between recurve and compound i was touchin arrows consistently at 20 yards and groupin at 30. 

Crossbow... pfft i got one for my wife and she was knocking em down like it was nothing. she has since forgotten about it in place of a compound and i took the crossbow for me own... its insane how easy it is.

goin on a fishing trip with some buddies from work and gonna bring the crossbow and let them shoot it out inthe woods to see if i can get in interested in hunting.

Crossbows are definitly a good thing for the sport here and with people not having the time to invest in other implements i think it has the potential to expand the sport here in NY. 

I remember those "compound wars" when people were fighting to get the inclusion of compounds into the bow seasons. The anti-compound side was using the argument that the precedents set would eventually break down all limits in the future and would be used to justify the inclusion of all kinds of non-bow implements. I said that was nonsense. As it turns out, they were right. Bow season was a chance to take on equipment challenges that no one else was willing to take on, and so success with a bow was a noteworthy achievement. Human nature being what it is, drove participants to continually seek to remove that challenge that used to be the reason for the special season. I don't expect that part of human nature to stop, and I don't expect that the crossbow will be the last attempt to discard elements of challenge from bow season either. Bow season is becoming just a warmer time to hunt, and really little else. That's just the natural evolution of things, I guess.

• Like 2