Dropper 10 hits the Snow!

33Canuck

Seems my luck continues, I smoked the #2 buck on my hitlist, the buck I called Dropper 10, Sunday morning.  I saw a bigger buck the morning before chasing does and making crazy loud guttural grunts. 30 minutes or so later a decent 8pt and a 3 pt come out of the brush and start to circle this patch of thick stuff and all of a sudden, Dropper 10 comes busting out of the brush pushing the bucks away so I immediately knew he had  doe pinned and they were trying to steal her but he would have none of that.  This went on for awhile till the adjacent landowner decided came around walking and bumped them and ended the morning hunt, but what a morning it was.  I went back in the afternoon but only to see a couple young bucks and does enter the cut beans with no sign of the big boys.  I knew where I had to be in the AM and went back to the same set  from the previous morning  but the first 30 minutes or so I only saw a couple doe’s move through prior to shooting light.  I figured it was time to try and make something happen so I decided to try out my own version of rutting action so pulled out my Primos Buck Roar.  I tell you what, a few guttural and tending grunts and this stud popped out of a brushy field about 5-600 yards away like a ghost staring right at me.  A few more tending grunts and he trotted across the brushlot my way.  He paused in a thick hedgerow and I knew he needed a couple grunts to commit so I eased my tube out of my pocket and gave a couple soft grunts which he heard immediately and bristled right up and started what I like to call the monster march of a dominant buck on a mission to kick some arse and win the lady.  As he got closer I decided if he went to my right I would shoot at the first clear shot but if he went left I would let him get as close as possible.  He went left and walked right in to about 10 yards at the most where I put a 250gr shockwave slam down on him.  To be perfectly honest  I thought I missed because he ran like 60 yards back to the hedgerow and stood looking around (probably deaf from the muzzle blast of the Omega) then walked back 4-500 yards across the field he came from and into the thick stuff.  I called my buddy Melcher who was hunting with me and said I was going to hang myself from the stand with my harness because I thought I had just missed Dropper 10 at 10 yards.  I got down checked the shot location and all I found was hair on the snow.  I walked across the first field and found nothing but monster tracks.  I went back and got Melcher and we hit the trail right where I knew he walked and we found nothing all the way across the field he walked off on.  We got about 10-15 yards into the thick brush and saw the first spot of blood and I immediately knew that was good, we saw another spot looked right and there he laid 10 yards away tangled up in a tree!  What a feeling high fives and man hugs all around! There was 0 blood from the point of impact all the way to where he laid 600+ yards or so away tangled up in a tree.  I wouldn’t believe it if I didn’t see and track it.  What a huge lesson one following up on any shot you make, regardless of what you see or think happened.  These animals are to be respected and it is all our duties as avid outdoorsman to respect them and give it 100% to recover any and all game you decide to harvest. 

As a side note we did talk to the adjacent landowner that morning and he was at first extremely PO’d because not only were guy trespassing a few times but he had found multiple deer shot by unethical hunters just laying around wasting away and it is a true shame.  Both Melcher and I relayed our respect for the game and the table fare it provides and I think by the end of the conversation he knew we were true sportsman and he gave us the just respect for that.

Enjoy the pics gang and good luck the last week I still have a few more DMP’s to fill if I can for some good ol QDM!

CDY_0030.jpg

Dropper101.jpg

Dropper103.jpg

No idea, entry wound, exit wound, and hole you could put your fist through in his lung and liver, maybe some fat or tissue blocked the exit but it's wierd nothing at the shot location and even weirder in my mind is his reaction walking away but I like the end result so it's not going to make me loose sleep only educate me and hopefulyl a few others

GREAT buck. Congrats....mounting I assume?

Depends one what you consider mounting.  I'm a euro guy I do all my heads euro style including the two nice bucks I got this year.  I not only like it but the price is right since I do everything myself including the plaques.  I have a couple full heads but there is just something I like about the different look to a euro and they don't take up as much space so you have more room for more trophies ;D 

No idea, entry wound, exit wound, and hole you could put your fist through in his lung and liver, maybe some fat or tissue blocked the exit but it's wierd nothing at the shot location and even weirder in my mind is his reaction walking away but I like the end result so it's not going to make me loose sleep only educate me and hopefulyl a few others

Fromthe pics the snow looks packy so this couldn't be the reason ...but I have had it happen in fresh powder on very cold days....the blood drops right through the snow like quick sand.  You will  see hair but the blood is below the surface. Happened to us twice.

I've had it happen often with round balls but never with sabot round or conicles

Especially with an exit, too. The large hole would make it seem like there was expansion. Very odd experience, for sure! That's part of the fun with hunting.