Visiting SUNY Cortland

Deerthug

On way home now. Great campus. Lots to offer but really far from home. St John's in Queens is the other school. Doing that on Saturday. They gave her $28k to live there bringing tuition down to $20k per year. What would you do? ????

Sent with Tapatalk on my Samsung Galaxy 4

I went to St. John's, for the money it's over rated. My niece goes to cortland and really likes, she is on the soccer team. Check out Money Magazines new way of rating colleges. http://time.com/money/collection/moneys-best-colleges/

I know the people behind this and it's top notch! Good luck!!

BTW that is a nice chunk of change SJU is giving her, i'm sure you are very proud!

• Like 1

I have three children who have been to college. One is finishing graduate school in Montreal, one is going to graduate school in September, and one is finishing her sophomore year down at James Madison U in Virginia. They have mixed it up between public and private schools. I think you should always take advantage of the best scholarship offer your child gets. Cortland may have a reputation as a party school but I know they have a great library and my eldest's contemporaries  who went there went on to graduate school and good jobs. St. John's is a great school with a great alumni network

• Like 1

Just got home. What a long day!

Well she really liked Cortland. She wanted us to put a deposit today. But we told her we need to see St John's too before we make a decision. This is the same girl who was so against Cortland during the search and had her head set on Boston University. When she did not get in she was looking toward Towson in Maryland. And when she found out she would have to take out $42,000 in loans she narrowed it down to Cortland and St John.

To me its a no brainer. Even though St Johns is a bit more expensive than Cortland I think St Johns is more prestigious and being close to NYC she'll have more opportunities with job placement than up in Cortland. She would also be living at St Johns as they gave her money toward room and board in addition to a generous merit scholarship. It would be a shame to throw away so much money.

• Like 2

I was up there last Friday with my little girl,really could not get over how big the campus is.My oldest went to Oneonta and what a difference.We liked Cortland but she is still up in the air.she has to decide for her self all I do is pay the bills so its really up to her...Took me 3 and half hours from Westchester it was a long ride,we went up on Thursday and came home after the tour on Friday...........

OUr daughter went to Alfred U..4years...I remember those having to move in and out days...Let me tell you they can collect a lot of stuff in a short time...if you live far away find a good storage rental place...We were close and camp was 5 min. away.

Grad school was IUP and a great off campus apartment across from a big Catholic church....2 yrs and that move took a med. U-haul and 3 pickups.

Edited by growalot

I live around the block from the school. Still have a little bit of my wild side after graduating 2 years ago! I have a bunch of friends from high school that stayed in the area and currently still go to Cortland and love it. 1 of which is the captain of the soccer team First Light! small world!

Edited by rotorooter23
  • Like 1

I think there are numerous advantages to not go far away from home to attend college.  Many times kids leave to go to college and then they end up working and living elsewhere for the rest of their lives.  I know most parents would surely prefer their kids to stay closer to home than live somewhere far away where you only might get to see them on holidays and special occasions.  I would agree with First-light that St. Johns is probably overrated, but what school isn't these days?  Absolutely NONE of them are worth the money they want, that's for damned sure.   If your daughter is being offered a good deal by St. Johns she absolutely should go for it.  Can't beat it, plus the advantages of not being too far away from home and having to travel for hours just to come back home for a weekend.  Believe me, being close to home will benefit both the parents and the kid.  The kid may not realize it at this point, but they probably will somewhere down the road.  NYC is also the center of the world.  Like the song says, if you can make it there, you can make it ANYWHERE.  If she can get the education here and then have job opportunities once she is done, why go elsewhere where there will surely be less opportunities??  My .02.

I personally think it needs to be in most part their decision...even though as parents we are fitting the lions share of the bill. This is the beginning of their adult decision making it is the beginning of their life's journey and for the good or bad they need to know it was their choice that put them on the path they will lead. Our daughter changed her major a couple of times and by the end came back and said you were right there really was no need for an expensive university the first 2 years...I could have gotten the same education and then transferred to a good university when it really counts. Once at school she made all her own decisions right down to her grad school in PA and how she was going to cover that cost.

Our job was to back her up with what ever support we could offer...

She works with college kids and when starting out had to deal with parents...I can't tell you how many times she has thanked us for the way we raised her. She has been screamed at and called every name in the book by parents that haven't a clue...They see that "Johny " is about to fail and some how it's entirely the schools fault. They call demanding this and that record and folks it's just not happening...It does not make any difference who is paying the bill...Your kids are the ones responsible for telling you what is going on...what their grades are and what they are doing...You can call the school with concerns if you have them and ask that they be aware of any "issues" you may pick up on but that's it. Only once did I call the school, and it was her internship contact...I was very concerned for her because she had a little boy run out from two parked cars chasing his basket ball. The Dodge 4x4 king cabs bumper hit him in the head...thank God it was a 30mph and traffic was bumper to bump...he was hospitalized for several weeks but made a full recovery. I could not ask for a report on how she was doing ,but could ask them to keep a close eye on her,she was very distraught and at the hospital checking on him a lot. So advise...get contact numbers and keep an open dialog with them with out pushing it depending on the child, sometimes using your stealth "hunting skills" will get better results in helping them maneuver their new freedom. Look for subtle signs,ask those important "nosy" questions in passing conversation, mood changes and a lack of communication...things that put up the flag...and go to those parent weekends...There is a reason the schools have them...they legally can not inform you of what is going on with your child.

Edited by growalot

I think having your kid attending a college 20 minutes away makes a parent way MORE aware of what's going on with their child in college, then having them be a 7 hours drive away.  A lot of kids take full advantage of these new freedoms they get being in a school far away from home, and many can't handle it and start screwing up like they never did before.  Going off to college doesn't mean a parent should not have a say or still have some authority over the kid whose college education they are paying for.  Authority is not a bad thing.  Those who respect authority and know who the boss is usually end up as the more disciplined and productive people in the long run, so in my view having some parental authority close by while the kid attends college can't hurt.

• Like 2

Steve I wasn't contradicting you. I said depending on the child...either way as far as the happenings within the school...You have no authority  on the decisions  they make, the grades they get...the majors they have...whether they are actually attending class...all on them, whether you are 3 hrs or 3mins away. Now that is the law. How a parent handles these new set of rules is on them....Some cut their kids off..threaten them. Others act like adults, not prison guards and keep open communication.

In this day and age of college grads it Still amazes me that some parents are really ,lets say, uninformed as to this. It was the same when I went to school...with one exception grades were mailed to home. I'm not sure if that is the case any more..I know we only saw grades when she/he showed them to us.

BTW... I now see what our daughter was talking about when she would have a bad bad day at work..I'm glad she advanced past having to deal with that.

Going off to college doesn't mean a parent should not have a say or still have some authority over the kid whose college education they are paying for.

my daughter went to SUNY ESF in Syracuse, we live on Long Island, about a 5-6 hour drive, she recently moved to Colorado and is doing great. I'm actually happy she moved out of here and so is she........oh, and it's actually cheaper and quicker for us to fly her home to visit every 3-4 months than it was to drive to Syracuse and visit every few months.

• Like 1

285. SUNY College at Cortland

VALUE GRADE/RANKING SCORE: B/3.01
ENROLLMENT: 6,345
NET PRICE OF DEGREE: $103,712
ACCEPTANCE RATE: 44%
AVERAGE H.S. GPA: 3.35
AVG. ANNUAL SALARY WITHIN 5 YRS: $38,900

646. St. John’s University-New York

VALUE GRADE/RANKING SCORE: C+/2.35
ENROLLMENT: 15,840
NET PRICE OF DEGREE: $206,927
ACCEPTANCE RATE: 49%
AVERAGE H.S. GPA: 3.3
AVG. ANNUAL SALARY WITHIN 5 YRS: $45,100

http://time.com/money/collection/moneys-best-colleges/

Edited by First-light
  • Like 1

Grow, I wasn't saying you were contradicting me.  I just think it doesn't make sense for someone living close to NYC to go to a school upstate for numerous reasons, when there are a slew of schools in the NYC area to choose from.  Living close to family is NEVER a bad thing from my perspective, be it when a kid attends college or when the kid turns 55 and it's the parents turn to be helped and looked after by the kid.  I know American society is a mobile one, but I sure as hell would love to have my kids and possible grandkids close by when I am getting old and feeble and need some help.   If they live across the country somewhere, you will not have such comforts, I can assure you.  Maybe this is a selfish thought on my part, but I know that it was very gratifying for me (and my father) that I was there everyday for him when he was on his death bed, and I want to be there for my mother when it's her turn.  I think some of us just take family bonds more seriously than others, so that's probably where our disconnect is on our philosophies here.

• Like 1

I understand and I do agree...both my kids are fairly close ,but my daughter graduated and her first Job took her to Milledgeville Georgia...it took her just 6 mos to realize she loved her independence, but there was a huge difference between driving from PA for a weekend and being way down south when family was her yearning. So here she is, of her own accord, but with a life experience she will never regret...save all the bug spray she used and foam spray insulation she used against roaches and scorpions... ;) Letting them fly is a very difficult thing. Done right they never forget where their hearts live.

Have you thought about queens college? It was rated as being the best education for the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Queens, Brooklyn, and Baruch colleges all have very good reputations.  They are part of CUNY.  For around $7K per year without room and board, you surely can't beat them.