2 Bills to address deer poaching....

growalot

I'm not usually an advocate for new laws shoved down our throats. But I will go with this one. Hit the scum poachers where it hurts the most,in the wallet. Make the fine high enough where they may think twice about jacklighting,baiting or any number of other disgusting things poachers do. I know nothing works 100% even if the fine was a million dollars,scum is still gonna be scum and do what they do. It's a step in the right direction though,even if it deters a few from doing it. Now what can we do about trespassers? :dontknow:

I suggest that if you are behind this, send some letters and emails to your Rep.s

yes please do.... need this thing to take off.  might not keep all of them honest but it will for many of them.  especially after the first offense.

• Like 1

I think the best thing to do about tresspassers is to eliminate the need to "post" your property and make it a crime to hunt any private property without written permission of the landowner. Tresspassing with a weapon should be a felony. Just getting rid of all those ugly signs polluting the countryside would make that worthwhile. That is the way it is done in most states West of the Mississipi and it seems very effective.

I think the best thing to do about tresspassers is to eliminate the need to "post" your property and make it a crime to hunt any private property without written permission of the landowner. Tresspassing with a weapon should be a felony. Just getting rid of all those ugly signs polluting the countryside would make that worthwhile. That is the way it is done in most states West of the Mississipi and it seems very effective.

So you break down in front of my house and come knock on the door to get help and are carrying concealed. I didn't invite you so you are trespassing. No signs needed any more per your scenario. Felony and you lose your guns

• Like 2

Yep, more laws help just take a look around you..that will solve it ..

How about parenting and teaching moral value and self worth and good smack on the ass when you loose focus..

Some of the old ways have some merit , of course when I went to school you got paddled by the principle, now If that happened that's got to be punishable by death and the parents would let the child play video games to get over the traumatic experience ..but if the parents tried to displine their child they would call the police on them .. Yep more laws and fines that will do it .. Stop them poachers in their tracks cause law breakers care about laws and fines.. Same as drug addicts really curbs their ways ..

• Like 2

Doesn't appear to be a new law, just greatly increasing the fines for violations.  Should act as more of a deterrent and help to recoup the real cost of enforcement.

Even fines should react to inflation. But I do hope the increases are more than simply keeping up with inflation. I am kind of in favor of adding equipment confiscations in somewhere along the line. That seems to have more impact than just money. For some of these guys, the fines are simply a cost of doing business. Anything that is used in the commission of a poaching violation should be confiscated ..... anything .... including transportation to and from the scene of the violation.

I have to agree with Wolc123...If you dont have written permission to be somewhere then you DONT BELONG there. I hate seeing all those posted signs on the trees and its almost becomes YOUR fault if a poacher is found on your property and its not posted..As far as teaching kids right and wrong....MANY are taught how to road hunt....tresspass....spotlight deer...take whats not yours,steal game cams.break into houses that are vacant for the season etc...In certain areas this is just how it is....Again if it aint yours dont mess with it!!

The poaching laws will never be stiff enough to stop poaching all together but its a step in the right direction.

I seem to quote Utah a lot only because I have family there and get to hunt Mule Deer.  Not that they don't have some stupid laws like NY, but when it comes to poaching they are spot on.  Poaching is a FELONY charge first off, which will deter more people than you think.  In NYS, you get a ticket and lose your gun, pay a small fine....big deal....they probably will hunt again anyway, without a license (if they even had one to begin with).  Secondly, the charge is correlated directly to the size of the animal shot.  So, if you poach what they deem a trophy animal, you are talking up to $50,000 fine, 10 years in jail and again, a felony on your record.  They don't mess around.  They also have a tip line WITH a reward system for helping nab poachers, which is very effective.

You know the expression "S%$T or get off the pot".....well, there you go.  Either say poaching is a serious offense and pony up laws to back up your words, or just eliminate the need for a license and a season and let idiots shoot anythign anytime.  There is no inbetween.

Yep, more laws help just take a look around you..that will solve it ..

How about parenting and teaching moral value and self worth and good smack on the ass when you loose focus..

Some of the old ways have some merit , of course when I went to school you got paddled by the principle, now If that happened that's got to be punishable by death and the parents would let the child play video games to get over the traumatic experience ..but if the parents tried to displine their child they would call the police on them .. Yep more laws and fines that will do it .. Stop them poachers in their tracks cause law breakers care about laws and fines.. Same as drug addicts really curbs their ways ..

can't expect others to parent their children well whether it seems like common sense or not so that should be encouraged but isn't a viable solution.

this isn't more laws it's the partial rewriting of existing ones to make them better.  it most definitely will deter not all but many poachers.  right now the cost is minimal to them so they don't think twice.  this will make them especially if they've got a youth with them.

say you're a poacher that's got caught before.  you take your kid out road hunting for a trophy deer head to cut off.  well you find a nice one on someone else's place and shoot it.  well you'd currently get caught and pay a fine of around $500.  Now if you do that under this re-written law you'd pay $4,000 dollars and lose your hunting licenses for 5 years.  Before there was no additional penalty for doing it again or with a youth and now there will be.  I think anyone would be at least rethinking poaching a deer again and if you're saying no then I call BS.  Trust me they'll start to care.

Even fines should react to inflation. But I do hope the increases are more than simply keeping up with inflation. I am kind of in favor of adding equipment confiscations in somewhere along the line. That seems to have more impact than just money. For some of these guys, the fines are simply a cost of doing business. Anything that is used in the commission of a poaching violation should be confiscated ..... anything .... including transportation to and from the scene of the violation.

equipment confiscation was talked about but this needs to be enough but not too much that it never gets enough support to be voted on.

This will not change a thing.  99.9 percent of poachers get away with it.............

not true.  they're getting caught.  those who helped get this started have caught people and kept tabs on to outcome and if it was a reoccurrence.

Great that is the .1 percent. 

...and .1 percent right now is better than zero.  don't know what the situation is around you, but I'm assuming it's bad.  You've got two obvious options, complain as you are with a poor attitude or accept it and do something about it.

• Like 1