SCARRY SHITE

growalot

So driving to Hornell to buy a chestnut tree...guy pulls out in front of me doing 15mph or so slower than I ..OK straight away and passing lane ...I pull out around him and he speeds up...I go to 60 and look to pull back in when....my car jumps to 90 mph!! WTH I punch break nothing...foot no where near gas peddle...no shoulder on road and I'm scrambling to put on 4 ways and pushing down break peddle and punching the cruise off button ...I had not turned it on but trying everything now...no one in front and guy I passed has backed off...I punch break again and then put it to the floor...engine isn't revving as hard and I slow to 60 again...take foot off and shoot back up to 80...I know I can hit N or turn off ignition but ...ya ya forgot cell and in the middle of no where....I hit the break hard and push to the floor ...start slowing down then the car lurches  and I feel it release and I am kissing the steering wheel...

I continued to drive testing gas and now the breaks and all are working fine...same on the way home ....OK it's only got 51 thou. and was just in the shop for an inspection...freaking scared the crud out of me...going back to shop...

Well recounting this I realize...that the anti lock on the breaks didn't kick in when what ever caused the car to accelerate stopped...I've had that kick in when trying to avoid a deer. I remember the car jerking to a stop ...not suddenly stopping

Grand Marquis...haven't had any issues with it...but I do not drive much...until lately...

Glad your OK growie.  Wouldn't have taken much for that to go from bad to REALLY bad in 3 seconds!

Funny.......I put 100 or so miles on my FIL's 2005 Grand Marquis today on a back and forth trip to Waterport.  His car sits most of the winter so this was the biggest trip since last October.  We stopped for Injun gas and I smelled burning brake shoes/pads.  Damn.....it wasn't a front brake as it wasn't pulling and the wheel covers were cool as a cucumber.  Rear caps felt OK too.  We got to Waterport and I could then tell it was coming from the left rear.   Drove it home and didn't smell it when I made a couple market stops or when we arrived home.

I'll take it in for a LOF and brake check tomorrow or Tuesday.  Oh, pretty low miles on  this old girl; 28,000 on a 10 year old car!!

Ya I immediately dug my heel in and pulled the mat back...that wasn't it...and yes they do haul boogie and the acceleration was so fast it surprised me.

Your right God was with me because I was just passing Loon lake and that it the only straight away of any length on the road...I won't imagine what it would have been had I been close to one of those bad turns....

Edited by growalot

the last time that happened to me, it was an empty beer can that got stuck under the pedal...since then I just toss em out the window as I finish em.........little bit of humor I threw in to lighten things up, sorry if I offend anyone.

• Like 3

I wonder if the dang thing ain't haunted or possessed! :devil:

If your mechanic can't figure it out you may want to hit the car wash at the church to get it hosed down with some of that holy water! :rabbi:

I also find it slightly ironic this happened near "Loon Lake".... that coincidently sounds like something right out of a Steven King novel,lol :crazy:

I wonder if the dang thing ain't haunted or possessed! :devil:

If your mechanic can't figure it out you may want to hit the car wash at the church to get it hosed down with some of that holy water! :rabbi:

I also find it slightly ironic this happened near "Loon Lake".... that coincidently sounds like something right out of a Steven King novel,lol :crazy:

Your funny! How do you think up this stuff?
  • Like 1

If it ever happens again, turn off the ignition, but not so far it locks the steering wheel, and put the trans into Neutral.

Then steer it off the road and stop.  If it continues to do it when you re-start it, call for a tow truck.

This is the only safe way to handle it.

Glad your ok, but I have to ask....what the hell is a grand marquis?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty much the same thing as the Ford Crown Victorian, that are used as police cruisers. 

• Like 1