Broken

DirtTime

Well, this is bad..........

I haven't been able to shoot for the past few months, so I had waxed the hell out of everything, put the bow in the case, and hung it. Just decided to go check on things. The image below is what I found.

The only thing I can say is at least it didn't break while I was drawing or at full draw.

Edit:

I think I need a beer.

Edited by ....rob

Did where the bow was stored have anything to do with the breakage ?  When I shoot my bow , the target is near my shed . I almost hung the bow in the shed but then figured it gets quite hot in there . It would have been a mistake .

Will a new string and cable fix the problem or is it more severe ?

• 2 weeks later...

It was hung by the handle of a soft case in a cool dry room. I noticed a bit of fray when I put it up for the winter. Didn't seem like enough to have broken the string. Haven't had it to the shop yet, but talked to a few techs over the phone, and even PSE. The bow is old, sight unseen they are talking $200 to fix it, if it can be fixed, parts for a 20 yr old bow are hard to find. I want to get it in next week. If it will be that much to repair, I will just buy a Diamond Infinite Edge.

Nope, no holes in the case, and in the 6 years we have lived here only had one mouse. I think it was just age. It was my own fault I guess, I broke the rule by buying from CL, and not taking it right to the shop for a once over. Might have saved myself a lot of money. I think karma might have been involved a little as well. My first bow was bought used from a shop, it was a Darton, and three days into shooting that the string broke while I was about 1/4 draw, that was dang scary! Took it back to the shop and they were very nice about the whole thing, offered a full refund, but since I said I was just going to get a new bow they doubled the cost I paid towards the new bow and threw in 6 Easton 2117 arrows.

This time, 20 years later I bought from a private party and paid the price again. I am taking the nudge from the forces that be this time, if the PSE is to costly to fix or not worth fixing I am just going new.

Never begged for anything in my life eddie.

Will never buy a used bow again! Have to really tighten the belt, but small price to pay for hunting. 

Actually, I have found that the best way to buy a bow is used, but not that old. Ill go try out new bows until I find what feels right, then I jump on Archerytalk.com and watch the classifieds section for the same bow. If you can get the same thing thats a year old, youll pay about half the price for it. Alot of guys buy and sell multiple bows per year, so you might end up with a current model year bow with only 50 to 100 shots on it for alot less than new.

I would actually never buy a new bow again. The bow I have now I bought on AT classifieds, it was a 1 year old Hoyt Maxxis. It cost me $400 shipped. New they were selling for $750.

A lot of reviews on this bow, all good. It's mainly marketed as a youth bow, but the versatility is what has a lot of adults using them. I am not a big guy, short and stocky, so the axle to axle should be fine for me.

If I can find it again there is a vid of a side by side with IE at 55# 29' carbon arrow, and a high end bow set up the same and the IE had better penetration. The only thing I will do is switch out the site and rest for the ones I bought last season. The site and rest that come with the IE aren't so great from what I read and have heard. Maybe a better peep site as well.

The only thing I hear people say bad about the bow itself is the back wall is kind of spongy.

If I do buy this I will get the base model, not the new Pro model.

I am taking the old bow in tomorrow to get an actual cost for repair. I am not feeling good about that.

Figure I will shoot a few bows while I am there as well.

Was looking around ebay today and AT classifieds. AT most are top end bows out of my price range right now after dolling out a couple hundred for new phones. I cannot go over $300 with tax for a new/used bow. I am trying to be patient and wait for a good deal. It's hard, it's time to be shooting a few times a week ( no place to shoot all winter, then a busted bow ) and get out scouting, so I already have the fever.

I still like the Diamond IE for the money. Only shop that sells them near me is 40 minutes away, and they said they may or may not have them in stock on Saturday. On ebay today looking for one, they want $400 for a $300 bow, or they have a few up for auction. So while looking more, I found a 2013 new in the box PSE Vision RTS for the same money. My local shop doesn't have that bow. I guess they were removed from the PSE line after 2013, even their site doesn't offer them anymore.

not sure what you're looking for, but I have an older PSE Bruin that I had the cables and strings replaced on about 3 years ago that alone cost almost $200............not the greatest bow and probably 8-10 years old at this point, but I would let it go for not much more than shipping as it is just taking up space and it is totally set up with whisker biscuit, sights and quiver as well as a release or two , shoot me a PM if interested and I'll give you more details....I rather give it a good home than have it sit here, not looking to make money by any means.

Edited by jjb4900

Will look up the specs jjb, and after I hit the shop in morning I will give it some thought. I really want to keep at most around three years old at this point for used. I to appreciate the offer and I will take it into consideration.

Will look up the specs jjb, and after I hit the shop in morning I will give it some thought. I really want to keep at most around three years old at this point for used. I to appreciate the offer and I will take it into consideration.

ok, no problem...and that offer stands for anyone looking for a bow, I'm well aware that a bow that age has little resale value and probably not very desirable to many, but I hate to have it lay around if someone can make good use of it......I also have an older PSE youth bow with new strings and cables that my kids have outgrown and I offer that to anyone with a little over shipping, I have sent things to others on here with no cost, so my word is good that I look to make no money.

Edited by jjb4900

Rob,

If you are close to Rome ny G&M has some used bows and left over bows at good prices. A friend of mine got his first bow from there all set up for under $400. He has weird hours so just call before you go.

G & M Sports Outlet

733 1/2 W Dominick St, Rome, NY 13440

(315) 339-2374

I am taking the old bow in tomorrow to get an actual cost for repair. I am not feeling good about that.

Figure I will shoot a few bows while I am there as well.

Was looking around ebay today and AT classifieds. AT most are top end bows out of my price range right now after dolling out a couple hundred for new phones. I cannot go over $300 with tax for a new/used bow. I am trying to be patient and wait for a good deal. It's hard, it's time to be shooting a few times a week ( no place to shoot all winter, then a busted bow ) and get out scouting, so I already have the fever.

I still like the Diamond IE for the money. Only shop that sells them near me is 40 minutes away, and they said they may or may not have them in stock on Saturday. On ebay today looking for one, they want $400 for a $300 bow, or they have a few up for auction. So while looking more, I found a 2013 new in the box PSE Vision RTS for the same money. My local shop doesn't have that bow. I guess they were removed from the PSE line after 2013, even their site doesn't offer them anymore.

Keep watching AT.  I picked up a used GT500 for $200 there.  Great deal.  You will find some older elites in the $300 range and they are great bows. 

Actually, I have found that the best way to buy a bow is used, but not that old. Ill go try out new bows until I find what feels right, then I jump on Archerytalk.com and watch the classifieds section for the same bow. If you can get the same thing thats a year old, youll pay about half the price for it. Alot of guys buy and sell multiple bows per year, so you might end up with a current model year bow with only 50 to 100 shots on it for alot less than new.

I would actually never buy a new bow again. The bow I have now I bought on AT classifieds, it was a 1 year old Hoyt Maxxis. It cost me $400 shipped. New they were selling for $750.

i second that. New bows are like new boats. I've bought several on AT that were under two years old at half the cost