SAFE act FOIL Stats Released

ELMER J. FUDD

Less than 5% registered. Lol.

With the State Police declining to appeal an earlier trial court decision ordering them to release the data, the number of people who have registered assault style weapons under the SAFE Act is now public.

“I’m grinning from ear to ear,” said Rochester lawyer Paloma Capanna, who successfully sued on behalf of a client for the information.

The bottom line is 23,847 people since the 2013 law took effect have applied to register assault style weapons. A total of 44,485 weapons have been registered.

Here’s a breakdown by county of applications to register assault weapons since Jan 15 2013:

Albany 484

Allegany 83

Bronx 35

Broome 351

Cattaraugus 137

Cayuga 194

Chautauqua 311

Chemung 195

Chenango 116

Clinton 203

Columbia 124

Cortland 97

Delaware 96

Dutchess 731

Erie 1,593

Essex 107

Franklin 113

Fulton 102

Genesee 131

Greene 113

Hamilton 21

Herkimer 140

Jefferson 291

Kings (Brooklyn) 54

Lewis 60

Livingston 128

Madison 160

Monroe 1,408

Montgomery 87

Nassau 2,755

New York (Manhattan) 1,640

Niagara 492

Oneida 451

Onondaga 916

Ontario 260

Orange 985

Orleans 87

Oswego 281

Otsego 126

Putnam 411

Queens 109

Rensselaer 334

Richmond (Staten Island) 52

Rockland 451

Saint Lawrence 259

Saratoga 573

Schenectady 274

Schoharie 78

Schuyler 49

Seneca 69

Steuben 208

Suffolk 3,865

Sullivan 229

Tioga 122

Tompkins 134

Ulster 463

Warren 181

Washington 124

Wayne 244

Westchester 1,498

Wyoming 84

Yates 87

(Source: New York State Police

Edited by ELMER J. FUDD
  • Like 1

And here some more details:

Since New York’s SAFE Act gun control law went into effect in January 2013, a total of 23,847 people have applied to register their newly defined assault-style weapons with the State Police.

Those gun owners have registered a total of 44,485 weapons have been registered.

Those statistics, which had until Monday been shielded from the public, were given to Rochester-area lawyer Paloma Capanna, who earlier this year won a lawsuit seeking to release the data.

It had been withheld following an earlier request under the state’s Freedom of Information Law.

With State Police declining to appeal the trial court ruling, they provided Capanna the numbers late Monday.

“I’m grinning from ear to ear,” said Capanna, whose case had become a cause celebre among Second Amendment supporters and gun enthusiasts who opposed the idea of having to register their weapons.

She had filed suit on behalf of

Rochester radio host Bill Robinson under Article 78, a proceeding that allows legal actions against the state. She argued in State Supreme Court in Albany County that there was no reason the simple number of registrations should be kept secret.

The plaintiff’s FOIL was submitted on Jan. 27, 2014, and prompted the standard letter from a State Police Records Access Officer noting its receipt and promising another response within 20 days.

But then the State Police fell silent, ignoring two letters from Robinson sent in April and June. In July, he filed an appeal based on the contention that the non-response was a denial, and the judge agreed.

One of the highlights of the SAFE, or Secure Ammunition and Firearms Enforcement Act is a ban on ”assault-style” weapons, which are defined as having military-type features such as a pistol grip or flash suppressor.

Weapons such as civilian versions of the M16 military rifle, or the Soviet-designed AK47 are popular examples of the guns banned under the law.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo pushed the bill though at the start of 2013, just weeks after the Newtown, Conn. school massacre.

People who already owned assault style weapons, though, were grandfathered but they were supposed to register them with the State Police in April 2014.

Critics believed that was an intrusion into their privacy, and as the logistics of tracking the registration became clear, many predicted that only a handful of people would actually register their guns.

Capanna said that appears to be the case, with fewer than 45,000 weapons being registered.

While there is no firm count, observers have estimated there could be hundreds of thousands or even a million assault-style weapons in New York.

In Connecticut, which later passed a similar registration law, 50,016 weapons have been registered.

But with a population five times that of the Nutmeg State, fewer weapons have been registered in New York, suggesting widespread non-compliance.

Additionally, local police including several county sheriffs, have opposed parts of the SAFE Act and suggested that enforcement of the registration component was not a priority.

The trial court decision, from Acting Supreme Court Justice Thomas McNamara, directed the State Police to release 15 categories of information related to the state registry, including detailed geographic breakdowns (including county and ZIP code) and the number of applications as opposed to actual registrations.

There is also a breakdown of pistols, shotguns and rifles that were registered.

How could people in Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx and Staten Island register their assault styled weapons with the state when possession of such weapons has been illegal in NYC since 1991?  Something doesn't make sense here.

LICENSE DIVISION RIFLE / SHOTGUN SECTION 120-55 Queens Blvd, B-11 Kew Gardens, New York 11424 718-520-9300

Assault Weapon Ban

On August 16, 1991 the Mayor signed Local Law 78 which banned the possession and sale of certain rifles and shotguns that have been classified as “ASSAULT WEAPONS.”

THE FOLLOWING IS THE DEFINITION OF AN ASSAULT WEAPON

(a) Any semiautomatic centerfire or rimfire rifle or semiautomatic shotgun which has one or more of the following features:

1. Folding or telescoping stock or no stock. 2. Pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon. 3. Bayonet mount. 4. Flash Suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor. 5. Barrel Shroud. 6. Grenade launcher. 7. Modifications of such features, or other features determined by rule of the Police Commissioner to

be particularly suitable for military and not sporting purposes. In addition, the Police Commissioner may, in such rules, designate specific semiautomatic centerfire or rimfire rifles or semiautomatic shotguns, identified by make, model and/or manufacturer’s name, as within the definition of assault weapon, if the Police Commissioner determines that such weapons are particularly suitable for military and not sporting purposes.

(B) Anyshotgunswitharevolvingcylindermagazine. © Any part, or combination of parts, designed or intended to readily convert a rifle or shotgun into an assault weapon.

EXAMPLES OF ASSAULT WEAPONS THAT ARE BANNED

ALL AK-47s & All AR-15s Armalite AR-180 Australian LIAIA & 223SAC Beretta AR-70, BM-59 Beretta Light 50, 82AL Calico M-900, M-100 Daewoo Max 1 & 2

DMAX C90, C100, C450 Dragunov Sniper Rifle Encom, MK-1V Fabrique FN/FAL, LAR, FNC Fal Type 1-2-4

Famas Maas-223 Feather AT-9 & AT-22 Federal Eng. Corp XC 220,450, 900 A.C. Franchi Law Spas 12 Goncz High Tech Carbine Heckler & Koch 91, 93, 94 Israeli – All UZIs Iver Johnson PM 30P Norinco NMD86 Sniper Rifle Polytech Ind. M-14s PSG-1 rifles G3, SA

Ruger Mini 14/5F SIG 57 AMT & PE-57, BM-59 SIG 550, 551 S.P. Springfield BM-59, SAR 48&58 &3, M-1A Sterling MK-6 Steyr Daimler Pusch AUG-SA Valmet Corp. M-76, 78 SA Weaver Arms Corp. Nighthawk

i think it way less the 5% more like .0034 % lol  

http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/26368.html hunting licenses sold ....

over 500,000 hunting licenses back in 2013 ,, take 1/2 of them say 250,000 gotta have

ruger 10/22 tricked out for fun woodchuck hunting ...

and thats not counting any non hunters who dont know u need a hunting license for them

i think it way less the 5% more like .0034 % lol  

http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/26368.html hunting licenses sold ....

over 500,000 hunting licenses back in 2013 ,, take 1/2 of them say 250,000 gotta have

ruger 10/22 tricked out for fun woodchuck hunting ...

and thats not counting any non hunters who dont know u need a hunting license for them

I don't understand what you are trying to say??  I don't think hunting licenses sold has anything to do with the amount of people owning assault styled weapons.  I would say the majority of hunters do not own assault styled weapons, while there are plenty of non-hunters that do.  I do have a ruger 10/22, but I have no need for it to be "tricked out", since the normal configuration stock does the job just the same for me.  I think most hunters that might own one probably have the garden variety version like I do, which needs no registration.

its a pointer to how many in new york have guns , some say 6 mill , some 4 mill

so just basing it on hunters theres 500K that do ,, so there is lots more in NY

besides hunters.  so 23,000 registered of said 43000 AW .. that could be just

from all the lawman that wanted to keep there toys ..

I don't understand what you are trying to say??  I don't think hunting licenses sold has anything to do with the amount of people owning assault styled weapons.  I would say the majority of hunters do not own assault styled weapons, while there are plenty of non-hunters that do.  I do have a ruger 10/22, but I have no need for it to be "tricked out", since the normal configuration stock does the job just the same for me.  I think most hunters that might own one probably have the garden variety version like I do, which needs no registration.

I know at least 25 people who buy hunting licenses each year............only 1 or 2 own "assault weapons" that require registration, 5 or 6 of them don't even own their own guns.....so, I agree that license sales don't reflect the amount of people who may own "Assault Weapons" or even guns in general for that matter.

I know a lot of people with aw, they just removed the stock until they need it.

And when will they need it?  LOL

As much as I think Cuomo and NYS are paranoid over thinking that a gun with a pistol grip or flash suppressor somehow makes it more dasterdly than one without these things, I also think many gun owners are just as paranoid thinking they somehow have a super-duper weapon just because their guns have these things.  It's all cosmetic.  The good shot with a plain jane gun will probably outshoot most of these guys with the AR type guns with all the bells and whistles attached.   

As much as I think Cuomo and NYS are paranoid over thinking that a gun with a pistol grip or flash suppressor somehow makes it more dasterdly than one without these things, I also think many gun owners are just as paranoid thinking they somehow have a super-duper weapon just because their guns have these things.  It's all cosmetic.  The good shot with a plain jane gun will probably outshoot most of these guys with the AR type guns with all the bells and whistles attached.   

The difference in the weapons becomes very apparent when someone is shooting back at you.

• Like 1

I don't know if its so much that people think they have a super-duper weapon, I think its more of people, who are familiar with such rifles, realize their advantages over more "traditional" styled long guns.

Edited by ants

So, what do you think? Are all these illegal weapons going to be on display in the homes? Will they be showing up at club shoots? Will their owners be openly hunting with them? Will they be openly used for target practice? If a cop or game warden actually catches someone with an illegal AW, will they enforce the law with an arrest? Would they ignore the violation? Or would it simply become a crap shoot that depended on the individual LEO and their frame of mind on that day? Are there now significant numbers of illegal AW owners that are eligible for felony arrest and conviction? Have these people put their entire gun collection at significant risk (as well as other unpleasantness of having a criminal record) because they are now performing a felony act?

I'm curious whether it is as simple as just ignoring the law just for grins and giggles, or are there other unspoken significant drawbacks to risking felony convictions for a weapon that you are fearful of actually using?

I don't know. I don't own one, but I am just curious about the casual attitudes toward committing a felony and whether anyone has even considered the consequences. It certainly does wind up to be quite a dilemma.

So, what do you think? Are all these illegal weapons going to be on display in the homes? Will they be showing up at club shoots? Will their owners be openly hunting with them? Will they be openly used for target practice? If a cop or game warden actually catches someone with an illegal AW, will they enforce the law with an arrest? Would they ignore the violation? Or would it simply become a crap shoot that depended on the individual LEO and their frame of mind on that day? Are there now significant numbers of illegal AW owners that are eligible for felony arrest and conviction? Have these people put their entire gun collection at significant risk (as well as other unpleasantness of having a criminal record) because they are now performing a felony act?

I'm curious whether it is as simple as just ignoring the law just for grins and giggles, or are there other unspoken significant drawbacks to risking felony convictions for a weapon that you are fearful of actually using?

I don't know. I don't own one, but I am just curious about the casual attitudes toward committing a felony and whether anyone has even considered the consequences. It certainly does wind up to be quite a dilemma.

There is nothing casual about it. They're goal and intent is to put us on the fringe and turn us into felons anyway. Step two will be a letter in the mail telling you to turn in your legal firearm which is now illegal.

we are at the point of self-preservation.

There is nothing casual about it. They're goal and intent is to put us on the fringe and turn us into felons anyway. Step two will be a letter in the mail telling you to turn in your legal firearm which is now illegal.

we are at the point of self-preservation.

I understand the sentiment, but I have to say that doing a stint with good old Ben Dover in the jug is not very high on my wish list. My thought is that those involved in defying the law, are really ignoring the position they are putting themselves into. Either that or they have no clue as to the real-world ramifications of their act. Or they have developed some deluded Rambo image of themselves and have decided to take on the state government.

Like I say, what people do is really up to them and has nothing to do with me, but I just thought I would put a little bit of realism into the discussion.