Field Dressing Question

fasteddie

I start by using the butt out, works great. then start at the sternum and use a knife with a gut hook. I like to split the sternum with an old knife I don't care about and hammer the back of it with a nearby stick, if I'm not mounting it of course. my girlfriend bought me the Viking deer splitter for xmas so I'm gonna try that out

I start by using the butt out, works great. then start at the sternum and use a knife with a gut hook. I like to split the sternum with an old knife I don't care about and hammer the back of it with a nearby stick, if I'm not mounting it of course. my girlfriend bought me the Viking deer splitter for xmas so I'm gonna try that out

if you go down the side of the sternum it is light cartilage and no need for any hammering. cuts through pretty easy

• Like 1

I use a Western, My grandfather gave me his when I was young and he taught me. I carried it for years but almost lost it once so had to put it up. I went online and bought one  each my young son and I. They do not make them anymore so you can't get new ones. Always been favorites of mine since Pop gave me his.

smallknife.jpg

Edited by Fletch
  • Like 3

I use a Kershaw knife with a less than 3 inch blade and a larger one for a spare.  

Personally I always start at the bottom of the chest with the deer on his back, that prevents the guts from getting damaged.  If anything you want the chest to be higher so the guts sink towards the back area.  Scrape the chest cavity sides, wind pipe then the but. 

Because it is such a small blade you have less chance of damaging something you did not want to cut!

post-1186-0-95955800-1437153289_thumb.pn

LOL, I still use an old Schrade Old Timer Sharp Finger gut hook.  My Grandfather bought it for me when I 15,.... nearly 32 years ago.  That was when they were still made up in Ellenville.  I think it cost him $12 or $14.  I have dressed a countless number of deer with that knife.  It is so old that the sheath leather is drying out.  Don't know what I will do then.  Good memories in that knife too.  

I have added the butt out tool to my kit.  It makes things easier back there.  

not the only one.

Have and use the same knife, one of the last schrade's produced, gut hook.

I use a small 2-3 in. $4 knife to make the initial incisions.  

Have a lot of these, cause I believe that when I go into some small guys shop for advice, it's polite to buy something.  I always buy at least one of these buck,gerber, ll bean small, cheap folders.  stash them everywhere.

I usually have no problem with bucks, it's the does that stymie my.  Can anyone give polite advice on how to start and handle all those girlie parts?

I have no set way. Heck I use my $3 pocket knife, get right in there and open the body cavity right up. Take a good deep whiff of it and dig right in. I do like to grab the bladder and literally squeeze the urine ( I'll be nice) right out of the animal. That way, no risk of meat contaimanation if I accidental cut something I don't see. The poop shoot gets it next.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter

After loosing one knife out of sheath found a year later and then a leather sheath in a gut pile...3 hours later went back and something carried it off..gut pile was all but gone....I now use a Shrade fold-able. fits inside my pocket...

I like the new Schrade 220 series. I'll be getting some in to sell in the green and orange aluminum handles. Look like a real user friendly , afordable knife.

Edited by landtracdeerhunter