Bear Kills Dog - Candor, NY

Curmudgeon

That's terrible.  In the past my dogs have had run ins with coyotes and one time had to run in the house to grab the 30-30 to "deter" a pack that had one of our dogs cornered.  It took two shots before the three that were left took off.  I couldn't imagine the same situation with a bear. I know if I was the owner, trapping the bear wouldn't be my choice of action. 

• Like 2

Trap it, kill it?  The bear does not know it should not go after dogs, to him it's just another meal.  Most dogs are able to out maneuver a bear, this one got caught when the owner distracted it.  Sucks for the dog and I feel bad for the owner but it's just doing what a bear does. 

Granted if the bear keeps coming back looking for another dog I would want it killed but this is probably a one time incident but now the bear is on death row.  Very sad for the dog, owner and soon to be dead bear.

PS: If the dog was that close to the bear it was threatening it (Barking), I think the bear would claim self defense.  Shame.

• Like 1

No usually it is the same reaction from most who are not familiar with animals.  It is us putting the "O MY how can this happen", and that is horrible that a bear kills to eat food.  Only us humans should be able to do that!

So regardless if it's a deer or a dog most home owners would call the DEC and say get ride of the bear that eating in my back yard.  Sounds like a familiar post we just had on a bear trying to eat the deer in some guys back yard. 

All these people need to do is contact some hunters to correct the issue.  If the bear becomes a menace and is always around looking for another free meal then safety is first and the DEC will kill it. 

Regardless the bear is not at fault here, the owner with no fence who lets the dogs roam the woods free to attack other animals is ok but just not when mine is killed.  Funny how some can see things in a certain way, remember perspective. 

• Like 2

This isn't surprising unless you're living in a dream world. There will be more of these incidents as wild animals migrate to find new territory. It's tragic to lose an animal like that.

You really wanna see a threat get 3 or more coyotes running together hunting as a team nothing is safe from there perseverance and teamwork.

I am truly sorry for the pet's owner...

However, it is only nature taking it's course..

Dog gets in bear's face, bear reacts normally..It could have very easily been a bigger dog that did the dirty deed..Too bad for Hercules...

Regardless the bear is not at fault here, the owner with no fence who lets the dogs roam the woods free to attack other animals is ok but just not when mine is killed.  Funny how some can see things in a certain way, remember perspective. 

Agree the bear is not at fault. However, a bear, fisher, coyote, raccoon, fox or anything else coming to close to human habitation, and helping itself to pets and livestock, is going to be removed from the gene pool. 

• Like 1

I feel bad for the pet owner, but.........

Agree the bear is not at fault. However, a bear, fisher, coyote, raccoon, fox or anything else coming to close to human habitation, and helping itself to pets and livestock, is going to be removed from the gene pool. 

Like this quote says, when a predator comes a calling in your yard, that threat needs to be dealt with in a stern fashion.

Yes, it is very sad and perhaps just one of those unfortunate things in life that can happen when you have a critter in the wrong place at the wrong time. No it likely was not the bears fault, and likely will never happen again. But we are the dominant species, and if we feel that some action must take place, I absolutely understand the sentiment. I know what the response would have been if instead of a dog, the victim had been a child.