So you say deer is your number 1...

I don't consider myself a trophy hunter... if it came down to hunting two big mature bucks, it wouldn't be about which was bigger... it would be about which was the hardest to hunt and would offer the better and more exciting experience. I like big antlers because I think they are beautiful and majestic, not to show off as a trophy. I really don't see my successful hunts as huge accomplishments ( raising your kids to be responsible adults is an accomplishment ) I see them as exciting adventures that enhance the enjoyment of life.

But that deer is still a trophy in your eyes of such?  Regardless of head gear. A big gnarly 4 point rack on coke can size beams has been a trophy for me right along with racks that would push 140-150jnches at other times.  Every year that..Trophy ..changes but i wont know what that is until i find him and hunt him to the end. Most times anyways. Always have a new one pop up while targeting the one that was found.

So you are a trophy hunter of sorts as i and many are. Most wont say that because they think it handcuffs them in some way. I would not shoot 90% of the bucks that walk the woods these days but thats by choice. To each their own.

a lot of us admit to being trophy hunters. The key is to remember most of us horn hunters still eat what we kill. What bothers me is the meat hunter who feels to shame the trophy hunter. We are guilty of shaming the "brown it's down" hunter as well. There is no black and white correct way to harvest deer. It's all based on opportunity, population, time, etc.

• Like 1

Being around thousands of inches of them, once a year must help too, LOL.

If you're referring to the Big Buck Club Banquet... yes, I really enjoy seeing all the different configurations of antlers... they're kind of like snowflakes... no two are really exactly the same... every year it seems that I see at least one rack that amazes me.

I could give the typical laundry list of reasons why I kill deer; meat, challenge, being in nature, deer camp, etc. But the real reason is no reason at all, it is an emotion, from my heart and soul... and not rational. I love it. 

Well said!

Nope..Meat is good..Funny that nobody has asked about the sex of the deer. It takes a special male to be killed but any adult female will be taken. They all pretty much look the same right?

No you need to go back and read my post...I may be a nobody but, I do not fall into your statement.

Nope..Meat is good..Funny that nobody has asked about the sex of the deer. It takes a special male to be killed but any adult female will be taken. They all pretty much look the same right? 

Ha-ha-ha, I knew where you were trying to drag this thread. I was just pulling your chain ..... lol. But honestly I am not motivated by antlers, and I am a firm believer that the worse thing that ever happened to hunting was when we all decided to measure success by the inches of antler that our kill has. Yes hunting today is a whole different world where everyone seems to be intent on impressing their peers. And they even came up with a scoring system because just plain old hunting wasn't enough. Its kind of comical to watch sometimes. Now hunting has become some sort of agricultural enterprise .... lol. Yup times change, but they haven't changed me. I still appreciate a good buck, but it doesn't drive my hunting. If a big buck was to step into my line of sight, I would be thrilled as much as anyone. But I don't hang my head and feel like the entire season was just trashed when it doesn't happen like so many others who learned their hunting appreciation from the Saturday morning hunting shows. I don't approach my hunting like it was a career. To me it is still recreation and I really have no need to impress anyone but myself with my hunting. 

• Like 1

Doc I can like that statement even with the ag comment ;)  Because I have never and will never have a rack mounted..though I'll forever cherish the 6pt one the older guy made me for giving it to him for the winter.

Your right  it is really sad what has happened...not saying I do not like seeing (normal) big racks on deer but it's no different for me than seeing a piebald or a 3 legged doe that is raising twins,a buck with a strange rack or a dominate doe "ruling the roost" in an open field. How times have changed.

I remember when I shot my big wide 8pt I stopped to show a friend and the guy with him was so excited he hopped into the truck and propped him up...saying when you shoot a buck like this you need to let ppl see it! Can't find the pic right now. Then with the buck below a guy saw it hanging at our house and said .." Just imagine what he could have been next year"...I just smiled and said yep..on someones wall I suppose...

Edited by growalot

if I had a choice to hunt a piece of property that offered me a chance to take a few doe and maybe an average or small buck, or one that offered me the chance to take only one deer of trophy size, I'd take the first choice every time...........

if I had a choice to hunt a piece of property that offered me a chance to take a few doe and maybe an average or small buck, or one that offered me the chance to take only one deer of trophy size, I'd take the first choice every time...........

So hunting is not so much for...The Challenge..for you?  Just simply set up,kill the deer and head for the freezer.  That works for many.

So hunting is not so much for...The Challenge..for you?  Just simply set up,kill the deer and head for the freezer.  That works for many.

not quite that simple...........I just would rather have the chance to get out and take a few deer and enjoy myself while doing so, I certainly will pass on some deer based on several different factors, so I'm certainly not an "if it's brown it's down" guy. I would guess if my life was consumed by deer and I spent the majority of the year watching and patterning them, things may be different, but I'm not and doubt I ever will be. I fully understand what drives the trophy hunter, but that's not me......the only challenge I face deer hunting is finding the right spot to hang my stand.

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 2

Over time, my decisions and the factors that influence them have changed but at present:

If I have the tag, I will release an arrow on any buck that I believe to be 3.5 or older.  I pass the younger bucks hoping they grow.  I am fortunate enough to hunt properties where I have plenty of opportunities and don't need the younger bucks for meat.  While we do have targets every season, I am not at the stage where I will pass one mature buck waiting on another.

Regarding doe, there are many reasons why I may or may not draw.  To name a few: (1) early season and no time to butcher = no draw; (2) mom and fawn = no draw; (3) simply don't feel like butchering that day = no draw; (4) patterned a mature buck and waiting on him = no draw; (5) rut time = no draw;  (6) hunting with buddies waiting on their buck = no draw; (7) mature doe that has busted me more than once = draw; ( 8)  need more meat for the freezer = draw;  (9) been sitting for weeks straight and getting itchy = draw; (10) difficult drag in certain properties = no draw.

Obviously some of these overlap and may result in a changed decision, but in short, if its a mature buck and I have a tag, I will shoot it.  If its a smaller buck, I will pass since I can fill my freezer with doe.  I have sufficient interactions with doe that they are secondary.  I certainly kill my fair share, but try not to let chasing doe interfere with my or my friend's quest to fill the buck tag and otherwise several factors play a role in that decision.  Last year I shot two doe on a property just because I wanted to kill deer on that property.  It was some return on my investment so to speak.

Does that make me a trophy hunter, meat hunter or some combo.  I guess it some combo but it really doesn't matter.  Every hunter should be content with the deer they choose to shoot.  The opinions of others are irrelevant. 

Edit - no idea why that icon popped up but it should be an 8. 

Edited by moog5050

Regarding doe, there are many reasons why I may or may not draw.  To name a few: (1) early season and no time to butcher = no draw; (2) mom and fawn = no draw; (3) simply don't feel like butchering that day = no draw; (4) patterned a mature buck and waiting on him = no draw; (5) rut time = no draw;  (6) hunting with buddies waiting on their buck = no draw; (7) mature doe that has busted me more than once = draw; ( 8)  need more meat for the freezer = draw;  (9) been sitting for weeks straight and getting itchy = draw; (10) difficult drag in certain properties = no draw.

you and i are pretty much on the same page.

Unluckily, like Elmo, I am in a high pressure public land area and it makes it more difficult to hunt.

Sometimes it is so crowded, you get shut out to hunt, Only 78 spots and some of those you will never see deer there.

The other large property you get interrupted by hikers coming through, sometimes with their dog(s).

Not like any of them will wear a black hat and jacket and lean against a tree to take a break when you saw a bear in the area an hour earlier.

Deer hunting is a challenge and a long drag is frequently unavoidable on public land around here.

A good day out deer hunting, with no cuts,scrapes, brusies, and nothing lost helps to recharge the soul and commune with nature.  Get to relax, exercise in the fresh air, and observe nature.  It improves one's metal health by de-stressing you.

Not to say I don't have few choice words for any ticks that may get through and have to be removed afterwards.

• Like 1

Would I pass on a legal spike if I knew there was a bigger buck in the area? First few weeks I might. After that, that spike will taste just fine. Example, if I knew there were say, a spike, a nice 4, and a nice 6 on the private land I was hunting, for the first few weeks I would wait on the 6. After that I would shoot the 4 or the spike if the shot was there. I am human and I am a hunter. So of course getting a nice deer with a good rack means something. But, at the same time I am not out there to keep passing on a deer if the season is end is growing close. I have nothing against people who wait for that huge buck, or trophy for the wall.

As for does, no fawns with her and good size she will taste good as well.

Public land, if it gets a lot of pressure, most of the time you can't wait. That is if you hunt for the meat. Let that buck or doe walk by and the hunter 100 yards away may not.

Would I pass on a legal spike if I knew there was a bigger buck in the area? First few weeks I might. After that, that spike will taste just fine. Example, if I knew there were say, a spike, a nice 4, and a nice 6 on the private land I was hunting, for the first few weeks I would wait on the 6. After that I would shoot the 4 or the spike if the shot was there. I am human and I am a hunter. So of course getting a nice deer with a good rack means something. But, at the same time I am not out there to keep passing on a deer if the season is end is growing close. I have nothing against people who wait for that huge buck, or trophy for the wall.

As for does, no fawns with her and good size she will taste good as well.

Public land, if it gets a lot of pressure, most of the time you can't wait. That is if you hunt for the meat. Let that buck or doe walk by and the hunter 100 yards away may not.

Sure, I get it. I'm not out there to watch deer walk by. Will have venison in the freezer, and whether it has some huge rack on its head or not, I will still expect to have venison. I will say that I don't have all the nice crop land that a lot of people have. It is a form of mature woods hunting and I don't have the luxury of sitting there saying to myself, "Oh gee, does that one score enough or do the other dozen deer that will be walking by today have more points ..... decisions ....decisions". It is deer killing not deer watching.

• Like 1

Sure, I get it. I'm not out there to watch deer walk by. Will have venison in the freezer, and whether it has some huge rack on its head or not, I will still expect to have venison. I will say that I don't have all the nice crop land that a lot of people have. It is a form of mature woods hunting and I don't have the luxury of sitting there saying to myself, "Oh gee, does that one score enough or do the other dozen deer that will be walking by today have more points ..... decisions ....decisions". It is deer killing not deer watching.

Exactly!

I don't have any luxuries either. Even on the private land I hunt. No food plots and my trail cams are the owners who text me every couple days with activity, and my own eyes. 

Some like the challenge, some like the meat, some like it easier, some harder etc. etc. It doesn't much matter as long as they're out doing it because they enjoy it. That is what I like to see. The enthusiasm is what keeps hunters out there and what bonds us all together... think about it, that's why we are all here on the forum... a common interest in an activity that we all enjoy in our own way. We buy a license, we kill deer, we share our experiences and have some fun doing it ... even during the off season. That's pretty special.

• Like 3

I don't get any satisfaction out of killing a1.5 yr old buck anymore, BUT ....once I see a nice 2.5 yr old my eyes light up.

Last year I let the same 2.5 buck walk 4x's before I finally decided I'd had enough of his temptation and dropped 'em.

I don't get much pleasure killing does anymore either, BUT last year being the first year I was allowed to hunt with the crossbow presented a new set of challenges and I wanted to put a notch on the stock so I did that too on a fatty.

I never know what I'm gonna kill until I kill it....

I never know what I'm gonna kill until I kill it....

That's pretty much it for me too. I run through the list of "wants" and "don't wants" when the opportunity presents itself. I would like to think that I have the ability to pick a deer, and hunt it until I get it, but that seldom really happens. Most of the bigger bucks that I have gotten was at the very first time I had ever laid eyes on them. I can't lay a lot of skill on many of them and have to chalk it up to dumb luck.

• Like 1

I love being part of the deers world for a short time. My property is great and always has some nice mature 3+ deer living in and around it. I usually will get a crack at one of these guys but will be very satisfied just coming home with some venison from a 1.5 year old. Time get short any deer will do except for a real small fawn. 

Edited by First-light

Deer are not my number one ,but for me to pull the trigger on one,

1. If it is a mature doe with twin button bucks, it gets shot on doe tag (momma chases her young away so if she's dead the only home range they know is hers and they stay,

2. A wounded deer will get shot if I have tag for it,or a call will be made to some one that has a tag to come over and shoot it.

3. A buck has to be in the top 5 of what the property has to offer via trail cam pics and sightings through the year.

That being said, if a member of camp wants meat and isn't having luck I will fill my tag with an adult doe or yearling buck and give it to them, usually muzzloader season as I prefer each hunter get the enjoyment of getting their own.

I'll disagree a little. I have no problem at all watching a deer walk. In fact, some of my best knowledge of deer has come from watching non-shooters do their thing. I enjoy watching the animals in their element just as much as I do eating them. Besides, the big racks just get my knees to shaking.

I've never hunted any place that I could just walk into the woods at any given time and shoot a deer, and I wouldn't want to. What challenge would there be in that? For me, It's about the hunt, not just killing deer.

I grew up in, and have hunted the Adirondacks for over 30 years, and I earned every buck I've taken there. None of them came easy.

I've always enjoyed bow hunting, and I've used a bow for pretty much all of my hunting for the past twelve or fifteen years. During the early bow season where I hunt, the deer are as relaxed as a wild whitetail ever gets, but I still wouldn't consider it easy hunting, nor would I want it that way. And once gun season opens, It's that much more challenging to get within 10 - 20 yards of deer that have been chased around, and shot at. 

I guess to answer your question, for me, It's more about the hunt, and getting close to deer undetected these days, than anything else. If I choose to shoot a particular deer, I have to wait for the shot I want, get the bow into position, draw, anchor, pick a spot, and make a clean release on an animal that's wired for instant action. And do it all at a distance where the slightest move at the wrong time blows everything. It's a rush that I don't get from anything else.

That's the main thing I look for in a deer. An up close and personal encounter with one of the most beautiful animals in the woods. Everything else is secondary.

Trophy hunters, meat hunters, or whatever we choose to hunt with. We may all get something different out of the experience,  but IMHO, the important things are that we hunt legally, ethically, and that we stand together as hunters.

Edited by Traditional Archer