Get your vaseline ready NY! Its here...

phade

Hey Steve863 you are right on the mark. There are a lot more things more important than killing a big buck. These guys are lucky they didn’t do the first 15 day in November. This is going to be the first time in a long time I’m going to have 26 days off in November. Maybe by the way some of these guys are talking I should of taken the days off in October instead.

So this is supposed to be a reason to make hunters kill more does ? Who in their right mind thinks that this will happen ?

For one why not just issue doe permits for FREE ? That would be an incentive to harvest a couple more every year

Secondly stop building on all this open country land pushing the populations into other areas

I know that I will now not hunt for the 1st 2 weeks of bow season, I will not even step into the woods no big deal. But I will not muzzleload anymore so I guess when they get a hit in Albany on cash flow from a lot of western NY hunters that will do the same we will see what they think then.

Where do they actaully think this stuff up

• Like 2

Trying to understand this completely :

I can shoot does in ML season in 9H and my  regular buck tag still rolls over into ML season as either sex tag. I still can use doe tags thruout regular season and ML season in 9H ?! Still in fact being able to shoot 2 bucks ?!

However if I hunt in 8G my regular buck tag does not roll over  into ML season and can shoot does only ?!

Trying to make sure I understand this :negative: 

your buck tag is statewide, but idk if the either sex tag is WMU based or not. When applying for doe tags is the only time you have to declare what WMU your in.

Yes, I would agree with you that many "modern hunters" are most interested in big racks.  And the main reason for that are those TV shows that you also mention.  "Modern hunters" have been brainwashed by these programs, magazines and various other outlets to think that big horns is what it's all about.  I feel sorry for all of you.  Like Barnum said, there is a sucker born every minute, and that's exactly what has happened here.  Just as society has been brainwashed into thinking that they have to have the latest iphone, ipad, the latest this or that, YOU guys have been brainwashed into thinking that hunting is ALL about racks.  Like I said, I feel sorry for you all.  I and some others on the other hand aren't as easily suckered as you guys.  We hunt for the various other benefits, and big racks is definitely NOT what it's all about for us.

again i'll respectfully disagree. The native americans and ancient tribes have been using racks, tusks, teeth or whatever since the beginning of time to symbolize greatness. Sure their main purpose was food, but there no corporations romanticizing the racks back then. I never once said it's what it's all about, but it's a big part.

Trying to understand this completely :

I can shoot does in ML season in 9H and my  regular buck tag still rolls over into ML season as either sex tag. I still can use doe tags thruout regular season and ML season in 9H ?! Still in fact being able to shoot 2 bucks ?!

However if I hunt in 8G my regular buck tag does not roll over  into ML season and can shoot does only ?!

Trying to make sure I understand this :negative: 

I have to read the regs but I believe that the regular season tag can still be used in 8G but ONLY for antlerless.

Your gun season buck tag will roll over to ML but in 8g you can only use as a doe tag not an ether sex tag confusing isn’t it. Wait till next year that's going to be confusing.

your buck tag rolling over is useless if you can't use it. I've been skunked in archery and always thought it was nice I could still shoot 2 bucks with my shotgun then mz if I had the chance. No longer. Like culver said, more bowhunters will take out 1.5's knowing full well that their tag becomes useless after archery.

your buck tag rolling over is useless if you can't use it. I've been skunked in archery and always thought it was nice I could still shoot 2 bucks with my shotgun then mz if I had the chance. No longer. Like culver said, more bowhunters will take out 1.5's knowing full well that their tag becomes useless after archery.

Really depressing when The group that I am in, in the effected areas, have been trying to use education to show the benefits of letting 1.5's walk and then in the swipe of the pen it is back to ground zero.

• Like 2

Really depressing when The group that I am in, in the effected areas, have been trying to use education to show the benefits of letting 1.5's walk and then in the swipe of the pen it is back to ground zero.

that is scary actually, unless your a trophy hunter or have certain standards for your own personal reasons, most guys will be flinging arrows at anything with horns come the end of bow season just to not waste the tag. talk about reverse management...

that is scary actually, unless your a trophy hunter or have certain standards for your own personal reasons, most guys will be flinging arrows at anything with horns come the end of bow season just to not waste the tag. talk about reverse management...

In these areas the "Either sex" tag is only good for an antlerless in the late season. So many will se it as a "use it or lose it" by November 20th. Now if they have  a fist full of other doe tags, what will that tag be used on?

a lot of interesting comments............I always thought of a trophy hunter as the guy who would rather burn his tag then put it on a lesser buck no matter what the reason, guess not.........why not just shoot those does and let the 1.5 go another year?

Edited by jjb4900
  • Like 1

a lot of interesting comments............I always thought of a trophy hunter as the guy who would rather burn his tag then put it on a lesser buck no matter what the reason, guess not.........why not just shoot those does and let the 1.5 go another year?

Yeah, you would have thunk?  I'm glad someone else brought this up.  I guess to spite the DEC they will be doing exactly what they were pissed off at many of us for doing, which is not letting the 1.5 year olds walk.

Your ether sex tags or gun tag the way I just read it is still ether sex in the late season unless you are hunting in one of the antlerless only wmu’s. so if you choose to hunt one of those wmu’s then yes it’s does only. So it’s up to you move or hunt does.

• Like 2

I think for anyone that is set on taking a mature animal they will eat it as they have done in other years. It's really the guys on the fence that this may have just pushed back. IMO

• Like 3

I think for anyone that is set on taking a mature animal they will eat it as they have done in other years. It's really the guys on the fence that this may have just pushed back. IMO

I agree on that point.......guess we'll see just how important taking a mature buck -vs- taking no buck is to some guys who now find themselves short on time and opportunity.........I have zero problem with guys taking any deer of their choosing, but if they were the ones putting down guys in the past because of others deer not fitting their criteria and now they change their tune, that I will find to be total BS.

• Like 1

jjb4900 100% agree with your post. just called the DEC on how your gun tag will covert if you don't fill it. it will still go to a ether sex tag except in the doe only wmu's where it will be a doe tag. and you can move back and forth between zones.

Yes, I would agree with you that many "modern hunters" are most interested in big racks.  And the main reason for that are those TV shows that you also mention.  "Modern hunters" have been brainwashed by these programs, magazines and various other outlets to think that big horns is what it's all about.  I feel sorry for all of you.  Like Barnum said, there is a sucker born every minute, and that's exactly what has happened here.  Just as society has been brainwashed into thinking that they have to have the latest iphone, ipad, the latest this or that, YOU guys have been brainwashed into thinking that hunting is ALL about racks.  Like I said, I feel sorry for you all.  I and some others on the other hand aren't as easily suckered as you guys.  We hunt for the various other benefits, and big racks is definitely NOT what it's all about for us.

Maybe so but you are no doubt in the minority.  Walk into any diner opening morning before first light and ask 100 hunters what they hope their day turns out to be and you will hear 90% of them say...Standing behind the big 10 point i have been watching or behind the buck making all the sign down in the swamp. Then you will hear them follow that up with..We are also going to fill the meat wagon full of doe's.  That is a fact!

• Like 1

Maybe so but you are no doubt in the minority.  Walk into any diner opening morning before first light and ask 100 hunters what they hope their day turns out to be and you will hear 90% of them say...Standing behind the big 10 point i have been watching or behind the buck making all the sign down in the swamp. Then you will hear them follow that up with..We are also going to fill the meat wagon full of doe's.  That is a fact!

there's very little doubt that a big buck always draws the biggest crowd when it's hung in camp or in the back of a truck at the local watering hole or diner, as well as every hunter having visions of a nice buck stepping out in front of them, and there are many many guys who set their sites on one deer and nothing less will do..........but quite honestly, it's not what DRIVES me to hunt, I'm pretty satisfied with a doe or small buck, am I in the minority? maybe, and I'm ok with that.

• Like 1

They already do in these zones. Number of DMPs available is not the problem. Its land access.

Kind of sort of. What they do is cap how many dmps you can get in that area. Makes zero sense.

Also, they lowered the allocations for dmps from 14 to 15 in most or all of the wmus impacted. We have a problem, but its not as bad, but were still going to implement a season like this...to do what? Its much easier sell if they had raised allocations and removed limits. Instead there are limits and a reduced allocation. Not consistent with their story.

• Like 1

Let me put out an open public apology right now:

I apologize to all the other hunters in any non effected area for having to be forced into a decision of having to move into your area and going up against you in the DMP lottery. This as well as any possible usage of my regular buck tag in your area lowering the # of bucks and doe you have.

Remember You may not have thought this very poorly thought out decision  by the DEC effects you, but I know different...For this I apologize, for I will not be black mailed into doing something I have been doing for years anyways . I will not participate in such a poor plan, making them think it was the proper way to go...I apologize for your future hunts.

jjb4900 No you’re not I choose to pass on small bucks the key word here is choose. But I don’t have a problem with whatever someone else shoots. I’m going to shake their hand whether it’s a spike or a 10pt. if you’re happy with it I’m happy for you. You’re the kind of guy I would hunt with. I won’t hunt with a guy who is only after big racks and then bitch that he see no bucks when he lets a 120 or 130 walk because he won’t shoot anything under 140. Then the guy mocks someone who shoots a deer smaller then one he would shoot. hunting not fun for guys like that they spend more time bitching and complaining what someone else is doing then hunting. their the ones who should get out of the sport.

Edited by Larry
  • Like 2

So this is supposed to be a reason to make hunters kill more does ? Who in their right mind thinks that this will happen ?

For one why not just issue doe permits for FREE ? That would be an incentive to harvest a couple more every year

Secondly stop building on all this open country land pushing the populations into other areas

I know that I will now not hunt for the 1st 2 weeks of bow season, I will not even step into the woods no big deal. But I will not muzzleload anymore so I guess when they get a hit in Albany on cash flow from a lot of western NY hunters that will do the same we will see what they think then.

Where do they actaully think this stuff up

exactly right. I won't hunt 9F until the 15th and would most likely have killed a doe in that time. There's no way I'm sitting a stand that I'd have to let a good buck go by. I'll still hunt ML though, I've literally never seen an antler in 19 years of hunting the late season but have taken some does