Shed season 2010 - 2011

WNYBuckHunter

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just a deadhead 1 horn spiker today. Guessing he slipped down a steep slippery slope and got planted in the stream below. The spike was still glued on tight. I'll have to go back when we melt out some and see if he knocked the other side off when he tumbled.

Nice to get a warm up for a change, unfortunately the sheds aren't the only things burried out there that begin to show up. :'(

DSC_1086_filtered.jpg

Well, I made it out for a couple of hours today and found two dinkers that resurfaced within the past couple of days.  They were located in the same field as the previous three sheds and are #6 and #7 for the season.  Honestly, I am kind of disappointed that this is all that I came up with today.  Approximately 1/3 to 1/2 of this field is still covered with ice, snow, water and slush so maybe a few more will surface once spring gets here.  There were a crapload of deer out here last night and some really big bodied ones too.  I know that there are some big bucks hanging around this farm. Now, I just gotta figure out where their antlers are laying. There's still way too much snow in the woods to do any looking around.  Don't know if I'll make it back out tomorrow or not; I went up to my thighs in water while crossing a ditch to get back to the truck.  My boots are friggen soaked and my other pair have a big hole in them...

IMG_0411.jpg

IMG_0413.jpg

Great finds WNY Bowhnter! 8)

Busy day out there today!

I started out finding this deadhead about 7ft up a tree. Assume it was someones euro attempt from a few years ago. Antlers bleached and chewed/ fur still on.

DSC_1126.jpg

Hiked a good while longer before making my way closer to some backyards where I've been seeing deer. In the thicket I saw tines and uncovered this oldie 4 pt.

100_0274.jpg

100_0276.jpg

Not far from here headed back into the timber I found this dead doe. She looked pretty fresh- still had her eyeballs. ;)

DSC_1128.jpg

On my way out now. I have no clue how this one caught my eye other than antler colored bird poop around it. :O There may have been 1/4" of bone showing. Another crotch horn oldie.

100_0277.jpg

Here I moved some of the leaves away.

100_0279.jpg

Figured I'd found my share for the day and would make the hike home taking the road. As I passed one of my honeyholes I decided to head into it for a quick look where I found my only freshy for the day- a 3pt busted main beamer.

100_0281.jpg

The days paycheck back at the palace.

DSC_1157.jpg

Not sure Geno, I thought the same at first glance but didn't waste any time to investigate it. May have been critter chew but who knows. I had antlers on the brain instead of playing CSI dude. :)

Good luck tomorrow, and yes it is fun. :D

thats true lol

Went out shed hunting both yesterday and today and nothing to show for it.. I know what you mean Geno its real hard and gets frustrating when you see others posting pics of the sheds they find but WNY is right once you do find one it is a very rewarding feeling. Oh well maybe my luck will change next time.

John

im not dejected, im kind of pumped really lol. i cant wait to stumble on one, its only a matter of time. i mean ive been scouting some prime areas but a shed can appear anywhere, atleast thats my guess... at the bare minimum im hashing out some great spots for this bow season, so im pumped for that!

Shed hunting on hold again 12in of new snow..and still falling

I hear ya G-man, we're covered up good again and more on the way. >:( >:( >:(

Suppose we just have to look for smaller pieces of antler poking through or take up cross stitch for another couple weeks. :D

One of my spots that still holds potential in this kind of weather is an old Christmas tree farm you have to crawl through to look down the rows. Only a dusting ever reaches the ground. Lots of things to poke your eyeballs in there and very time consuming but a viable option if you don't want the weather to hold ya back.