went to the range today

tommyc50

i bought a new scope yesterday had the gun shop mount it and bore sight it went to the range on long island. when i got there and shot couldn't get on paper @100 yds the range officer laser bore sight it and got close to center i shot fair but am happy w/ the scope iwrote on here back in june w/ a scope question iwas hitting high to the left and high  couldnt lower or turn the turrent tothe right  got suggestions to get a new scope and new mounts i want to thank the guys who wrote on the topic in june going back to the range before hunting season to get more practice

You probably shouldn't start at 100 next time. Start at 25 making it a hell of a lot easier to get sighted in. Shoot your first shot, without moving gun look through the scope and move the crosshairs via the adjustments to your bullet hole.

Good advice! That is how I got my new scope sighted, three inches high at 25 yards. Put me real close out to 100 and 150 yards.

Picked up that great tip, from right here at Hunting NY. From someone here that probably forgot more about guns than I know!

Quality in scopes, rings and bases cannot be overlooked. People by cheap for some reason thinking they're saving money. 1" or less group at 100 from rest is about the norm and 2" is about all I think would be allowable for hunting... Not to mention an ethical hunter wouldn't shoot a gun far the than they've practiced (to proficiency) with.....

I'd find a longer range- go 50-100 and then some

i agree the gun shop offered me a weaver or bushnell scope went w/ the bushnell it was$ 249 the weaver was 175 much better quality w/ the bushnell the gun i have is a 30-30 and not thatyoung but i know i wantedsomething  better than plain old 4 power i hunted with before i hunt in woods and 50 yds is a long shot but last year i missed a doe @96 yds on my friends property in green cty which is all fields but i can be confident that i can hit something under 100yds 

1" or less group at 100 from rest is about the norm and 2" is about all I think would be allowable for hunting...

2" all that is allowable for hunting???? Says who? There are a crapload of rifles that won't do better than 2" groups out there and the guys shooting them keep bringing home the venison year after year. Magazines have brainwashed people into thinking a deer gun needs to shoot a hole inside hole, but that is far from the truth.

• Like 1

Testing cleaning and then retesting gives you the confidence in you weapon.  Know its trajectory from 5 ft out to as far as you will take a shot and practice.   Most of the really good hunters I know shoot well and often and rarely let an opportunity go by.  This is another reason for their success I believe. 

Agree 100% plus on top of the guns ability is the shooters ability. 

2" all that is allowable for hunting???? Says who? There are a crapload of rifles that won't do better than 2" groups out there and the guys shooting them keep bringing home the venison year after year. Magazines have brainwashed people into thinking a deer gun needs to shoot a hole inside hole, but that is far from the truth.

I agree with Steve wholeheartedly....I'd like to pick 20 shooters at random from this forum and see how many could REALLY shoot a 1" 3 or 5 shot group at 100 yards with their deer rigs..I'll bet it would be damn few and that includes yours truly..

Shooting off the bench with the lead sled is one thing for me. I can get 1 inch groups from my cheap savage too. But like you, shooting freehand is another whole ballgame, and a six inch group is pretty darned good! I have never been what I consider a great shot. Lots of guy's can and do outshoot me at the range. But I very rarely miss a deer.

• Like 3

Not brainwashed- ethical.

If your gun shoots a 3-5" off a rest at a hundred yards your likely to shoot a 9-15" mess wo a rest and elevated blood pressure. Not fair to the animal. Just cause you put a hole in something living doesn't mean you earned it or did the experience justice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If your gun shoots a 3-5" off a rest at a hundred yards your likely to shoot a 9-15" mess wo a rest and elevated blood pressure. Not fair to the animal. Just cause you put a hole in something living doesn't mean you earned it or did the experience justice.

What's not fair for the animal is sub-moa accuracy from your implement. 3-5" groups at 100yds probably equals more to 5-7" groups free-hand for most shooters.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

With your reasoning, you need to call ALL bowhunters unethical then also.  Most won't get a 1 inch group even at 10 or 15 yards.  Lets not even get into deer ducking, jumping the string or the hunter shooting at weird angles from tree stands.  Your theory sounds great on paper, but don't hold water in the field.  Like Pygmy stated a few posts ago, you won't get a lot of guys firing 1" groups even at the range with the most accurate rifles, so how much good will all this accuracy do them?  I always love those guys who just bought their first rifles with little to no shooting experience and then claim that they were getting 1/2 inch groups the first time they fire them.  I raise the BS flag on most all of these claims.

• Like 1

I guess there must have been a lot of unethical hunters out there a few years back running around the woods with their levers, pumps and autos that on their best day wouldn't shoot better than a 3"-4" group off the bench at 100 yards.. A lot of military rifles, both as issued and sporterized would fall into that category too..

I'll bet Grandpa and his buddies with their Winchester and Marlin levers and their Remington Model 8's and 14s and their Krag and Enfield sporters would be shocked to learn how unethical they were..

• Like 1

I shot at my range this afternoon as a matter of fact.  Two guns went with me; my 260 Remington that has a fancy stock, barrel, decent 3.5-10 Leupold scope, Talley mounts and all machined and screwed together by a very competent gunsmith from PA and my NULA 243.  Most of my shooting was done at 200 yards but at the end I shot 5 with the 260 at 100 yards and here's the group......................

image_zpszsq9qwsd.jpg

I'd call the one on the FAR right a flyer and the rest are right at 3/4".  The flyer bums me out but WTH........the black square is approx. 1"

I shoot off of a great bench, with a great front & rear rest.  I suck though.........

My 243 on the other hand is 5/8"-3/4" all day and out shot the 260 and that isn't a good thing!  Both guns are shooting Barnes TTSX slugs; 120's in the 260 and 80's out of the 243.  Both are hunting guns of course and accuracy is important but I'm just don't have the time I used to to wring out all kinds of loads at the range.

Talking about field accuracy...........I would be last place if we were shooting an offhand competition. :)  I really suck at that.  BUT.........give me a tree to at least rest my for-end hand on and I'll improve by 1000%.  I NEVER ever shoot "offhand" unsupported at a deer unless he is wounded or inside of 50 yards and even then I'd rather grab a sapling in a heart beat for a rest.

Carry on............................

Edited by Lawdwaz
  • Like 2

ok I need some bench time!  I wish lead was not so expensive, probably why I shoot the bow so much more.  Only lost about 17 arrows since last years 24 but a few are still set up for hunting.  Not bad considering most arrows where lost to rebar in the targets or skunk shot at 40 yards.  Little stinker! 

Sounds like Saturday at Ridge is in the scope!

Ok my advice to you is do not watch any of the Benoit hunting videos.  They consistently shoot out past 100 yards and sometimes they miss, O my!  The one who I saw miss a few times was also considered the best deer hunter in the world.  But he must have been unethical because he missed so many? 

You need to come down off your high horse and see how the real world works.  Most hunters are not expert marksmen.  So as I get older and my offhand groups get larger this means I should quit hunting because now I am disrespecting the deer with my possible unethical shot?  Did you just get out of college?  Come down here with us mortals and see how the real world works.  Or go tell Grampy he is unethical and should quit hunting now and tell his grandson sorry but I'm out!  Arg

PS: Don't watch and bow hunting videos because plain and simple deer can jump the arrow before it hits like mentioned before.  Bow hunters must have NO ethics!  LOL

• Like 3

I don't shoot offhand at anything unless it's REAL close..

Whenever I set up on watch the first thing I do is figure out what I'm going to rest on should a shot present itself.

I'll take a 300 yard shot any day from a steady rest over a 50 yard shot offhand..

I was never a great shot offhand, but when I was younger I was probably average..

Now that I'm older, if I don't have a good rest, I just don't shoot.

• Like 2

God forbid someone's opinion differs from the boys of HNY forums.

I'll raise your bow hunters commentary with all the slob gun hunters that drive deer during gun season- let me guess ; they're practiced, well seasoned and proficient in making running shots, right?

Just because my opinion was presented doesn't mean I side with a group of hunters. The vast majority of "hunters" in this state are lazy and not well versed with their abilities in any regard or with any implement.

In my opinion- a hunter has responsibility to be as accurate as possible. That's rarely the case.

You're welcome to your opinion, BUT when you make a stupid, high handed comment such as " hunters who use rifles that aren't capable of a 2 inch group at 100 yards"   are  UNETHICAL, be prepared to take the flak...

There are a whole bunch of us old farts who have probably been around the woods a lot longer than YOU have, who know better...

• Like 4