Checking the Regulations

Jaeger

So, how to put this politely?  Why are many members so confused about the regulations in some of these threads, for ex. set back shooting distances, what implement is allowed during what season and when, etc.?

There been a lot of back and forth on some threads about the rules, most of which end in a link to the appropriate DEC hunting page.

What I find funny, and a little disturbing, is it is happening HERE, on an internet chat room.  Not some small sawdust floored small town gun shop (no offense intended, I love small town gunshops, a wealth of local information).

Guys (and some gals), we are already on the internet!  If you can navigate to and around here why refuse or avoid the DEC pages?  

I'm as guilty as any other about too quickly responding/posting without reading someones full thread, but if its a regs. issue its a simple matter to check on line.

Maybe I'm just venting but it seems silly that one would have the knowledge and skills to get on an internet chat room and not feel they can check the regs. on line.  And for smart phone users there is a free application "app." 

Is there something about the DEC hunting regulations website pages that makes it difficult to use?  If so, post your issues with it here and maybe we can send them to the DEC in an organized fashion so they know.

Edited by Jaeger
  • Like 2

I have found navigating DEC site is not all that easy. Maybe its me who knows. I had that app and deleted it because it wasn't working well, i think there were a few people from here who deleted it.

If it bothers you that people ask question here you don't have to answer. That is what is great about forums, you only have to interact when you choose to. :-)

• Like 3

The problem with the regs is the confusion.  It's getting to the point hunters must have a law degree to be sure they understand them.  They are not laid out in the most user friendly manner on the website, nor are they easy to use in print form.  There are changes every year and to fully understand all of the regs with complete confidence, requires a lot of time reading them each year and/or every time a hunter wants to hunt something new or different.

The NY DEC is too heavy on the legal wording and explanation of hunting regs and to light on making them clear with everyday language.

So, naturally, whether to save time, or be confident in the understanding, this forum is going to get questions.

If you are referring to my question about crossbows and the new setback rule of 250' on another thread, then yeh, I don't pay attention to crossbow regs. My instructor told us that the safest hunters would be us, new students(at the time) that has the regs fresh in their minds. The most dangerous are the ones that's been hunting for several years and no longer on the up and up about new regulations. I try not to fall in that category, but I no longer have the time to read through the entire guide every year anymore. Just pick and choose what will pertain to me and hunt.

Pretty sure I can point out regs in there that most don't know, because it wouldn't pertain to them.

Lastly, this is a forum, a "chat" you call it. It's a great platform for sharing, and asking questions and providing answers is the sharing of information. Certain information should be verified and not taken for fact simply because it's on a "chat". But more often than not, it's a start for additional research if the person questioning should want to do so.

P.S. I'm adamant about providing accurate info and discourage advertising of outdated/inaccurate info as much as I could in the hopes that new hunters won't be steered astray.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Edited by shawnhu

I have no problems with people asking questions about the law. I don't care how many places on the net the answer may appear. It sure is better than having them running around breaking laws that they were unaware of. Also, for every one of those kinds of threads, there are usually a whole bunch of people who chime in apparently with the same misunderstandings and questions. So, if you don't know ..... ask.

That being said, I would recommend that any legal questions be sent off as an e-mail to the DEC so that you will get a written reply that can be stashed away in case there is a controversy with the reply later on. Sometimes even the officials get confused or disagree with each other on some of the more tricky and obscure laws.

• Like 1

I can see where the OP is coming from though.  How many times have you seen where someone asks something that could be easily answered by looking in the book given out by the people who are going to jam you, and then getting four different interpretations from people on here, none being correct? 

Then, I guess I am in the minority, or perhaps the minority.

I have time to dream, time to plan, time to prep., time to practice with guns and bow and set them up and time to actually get out to hunt.  I have time to be on this site, as all of you do, so that was part of my point.

So, I have time to actually read or look up the regulations.  The time excuse is a non-starter.  If you do not like to read, that is another issue.

I'm one of the few, I guess, that actually looks forward each summer to the new reg. booklet and site uploads and the changes to regulations page.  I sign up for and receive the press releases informing us of proposed new regs.  This is as much a part of my fun as working up a new load, wrestling with a scope mount problem or trying endless factory loads to see if a gun will shoot before I send it away.  

Mistakes, most unintentionally, are made here by well meaning posters giving advice off the cuff.

Mistakes were apparently made in the guides themselves, but would not have been caught if someone had not read them thoroughly.

For me, it's me that is going to be out there, alone, when an Officer comes along.  I need to know, first hand what the actual rule is. (I know sometimes a minor amount appear to be conflicting).  Telling him "some guy told me" will do nothing.

If you were offended by this post, so be it.  I personally cannot understand how someone can put so much time, dollars and effort into this sport/activity/life style and give the rules to engage in it such short shrift.

As far as chastising me for even raising this, the fact that, I can choose to participate or not, you just did the same.

I know may will parse the above out and respond to an individual line or thought, attempting to prove them flase or silly.   I hope the remaining, thinking readers will view this post in its entirety.

Again, if it offended then I am clearly out of touch with the majority of you.  I will attempt to keep silent on these type of issues.  To each his or her own.

• Like 1

Then, I guess I am in the minority, or perhaps the minority.

I have time to dream, time to plan, time to prep., time to practice with guns and bow and set them up and time to actually get out to hunt.  I have time to be on this site, as all of you do, so that was part of my point.

So, I have time to actually read or look up the regulations.  The time excuse is a non-starter.  If you do not like to read, that is another issue.

I'm one of the few, I guess, that actually looks forward each summer to the new reg. booklet and site uploads and the changes to regulations page.  I sign up for and receive the press releases informing us of proposed new regs.  This is as much a part of my fun as working up a new load, wrestling with a scope mount problem or trying endless factory loads to see if a gun will shoot before I send it away.  

Mistakes, most unintentionally, are made here by well meaning posters giving advice off the cuff.

Mistakes were apparently made in the guides themselves, but would not have been caught if someone had not read them thoroughly.

For me, it's me that is going to be out there, alone, when an Officer comes along.  I need to know, first hand what the actual rule is. (I know sometimes a minor amount appear to be conflicting).  Telling him "some guy told me" will do nothing.

If you were offended by this post, so be it.  I personally cannot understand how someone can put so much time, dollars and effort into this sport/activity/life style and give the rules to engage in it such short shrift.

As far as chastising me for even raising this, the fact that, I can choose to participate or not, you just did the same.

I know may will parse the above out and respond to an individual line or thought, attempting to prove them flase or silly.   I hope the remaining, thinking readers will view this post in its entirety.

Again, if it offended then I am clearly out of touch with the majority of you.  I will attempt to keep silent on these type of issues.  To each his or her own.

I feel the same way.......but I should add that it doesn't bother me that people ask, I'm just amazed that many don't take the time to care enough to read the regulations.....I know some will disagree, but you can find accurate answers to most questions on the DEC website.

Edited by jjb4900

No offense here...though looking up answers or links to questions I think that person could have done on their own..doesn't bother me...some times giving a link gets them looking at the DEC site.

Though getting correct answers even from the officers we expect to know the answer ...well that is tough as well. Something I have mentioned here before...I always love the ...Well it's left up to their interpretation!????...That was from a DEC offical...so where do you go then? Many many times I have seen the guys here say what ever answer you get get in writing or write the officers name and number down and keep it...

Never appologize or down play your opinion...It maybe the one that helps at least one other person out no matter who likes it ;)