This will make me the "bad guy"...

growalot

Well woman in this case...Ha! When's that ever stopped me...

First.... I truly wish everyone the best, safest season possible..that said:

Can we please keep the I stuck one and can't find it threads to a minimum this year...I know and been there.... but some times we forget the past and for the past few years it's turned into what might be call a "chum" fest.(shark reference )

So, if your new understood ask away..... but you can also find last years post to get a feel for things..or pm one of the more active bow members for help.

Lets all just enjoy the season and  help where we can if need be...Thanks

Edited by growalot
  • Like 1

With some new hunters here to learn, I guess it's better to talk about it rather than pretend it never happened.  It may even be a new hunter how hits and lost one and is now asking for suggestions to improve.  I do agree that it shouldn't turn into "chum".

• Like 3

Even with practice and making sure everything is right, sometimes things just go wrong.  As much as we would like to see none of those threads it's part of hunting, not every deer is recovered and for those that say they kill everything they shoot well you probably have not shot that much. 

• Like 3

The funniest one was a couple of years back when someone said "i'm going to have some backstrap tonight!" while posting from his stand and then never found the deer.

My reply was that he could have this for dinner instead. His usual. LOL

Are you talking about deerpassion?

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Edited by shawnhu

Are you talking about deerpassion?

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

I'll be damned if I remember who it was.  Maybe it was him, I don't know.  All I know it was funnier than hell!!  Must have felt like a girl getting all sexy and naked in front of you and then she runs away never to be seen again.  LOL

I wouldn't mind having people asking for help when they are confused, or had some form of black-out in the Bowhunting safety Course when that subject was covered. I would rather see an inquiry here than to just have the shooter throw up their hands in frustration. There are times when some helping hand might be in order.

Of course a good part of that helping hand would be more useful and successful if we were standing right there and witnessed the action. So much of successful retrieval depends on what is done and observed right at the scene of the impact and the initial run.

Perhaps it would be useful to create a thread that is a list of observations that would be useful for the shooter to have taken note of before asking for assistance here, and turn that into a "sticky". For example, many newbies seem to have a nervous black-out at release and cannot explain the location of the hit, hair color, blood color, the reactions of the deer, blood evidence at the scene and on the arrow, etc., etc., just a basic primer of what they should have been taught in the bow course. If they can supply some of that detail it would help to give advice as to what their next-steps should be.

I have seen a few of these threads in the past that resulted in a recovery and one of those that I recall was from a hunter who had given up.

The funniest one was a couple of years back when someone said "i'm going to have some backstrap tonight!" while posting from his stand and then never found the deer.

My reply was that he could have this for dinner instead. His usual. LOL

If your thinking of the same dude didnt he do it twice that year and took 2 beatings. Lmao

No problems with anyone asking questions, for the most part. The one that's frustrating is people who make a shot and then come on the web to ask for help. "I made a perfect shot but lost the deer, HELP!". You should have Deer Search programmed in your phone and call them, or friends and family to help locate the deer. Not hit the web asking what to do. Sorry, that one's just frustrating. 

Funny thing is when us kids were coming of hunting age it was preached to us dont celebrate till you got your hands on the deer.  I have a brother that you can be 5 miles away and know when he shoots a deer.  He yells that loud lol.   I will call him on the phone when I here him yooping it up and ask if he recovered it yet.  Answer is always the same, nope still in my stand waiting for a while before I get down.  I think he does it on purpose to mess with me.

• Like 1