Morning or afternoon??

HuntOrBeHunted

Speaking of this year in general when is everyone seeing the most deer movement and success morning or afternoon ??

I have saw more deer this year in the morning. I'd rather hunt the afternoon but I will go with whats hot in that area. Lot of deer movement in the first hour or so of light my way.

both... some stands aren't good for both.  so I hunt a different stand past 1pm.  evenings are easier but you should do what you must to get on deer.  right now I like easy to get to ridge/point stands looking down into a bottom with cover off to each side.  I don't shoot doe there and don't walk down in for any reason.  shots further away around 30+ yards.  many times this early you can still find deer wondering between cover.  morning thermals pull your scent up away for them and the bedding/cover.  I don't hunt close to food sources in the mornings unless it's a paralleling travel corridor with acorns.

• Like 1

If you are a Bill Winke fan (Midwest Whitetails) he said in his blog the other day that afternoons are better than mornings until the last week of October.

Concentrate on food at night and don't expect the big boys to be out of their bedding areas in the morning until late October. 

It seems this year has been a little different with some good success early in the season.

Edited by LetEmGrow

I have seen more in the morning and have been lucky to be out all day on a few occasions. I actually got my best deer this year at about 7:15 am...this 9 pt4375e131fcfc54235514d53ab7a6b9c5.jpg

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

Just a heads up, the vultures in here are going to be all over you shortly for posting that you shot a deer illegally.  If that was shot in NY, "legal" sunrise isn't until almost 7:30.  You may want to "revise" your story a bit.  Just sayin.

• Like 1

This is a loaded question quite honestly.  Most people don't have a clue why they see more deer in the morning or the afternoon.  They just assume that the hunting is better in one or the other based on the deer they see.

What it really indicates is where your stand is located.  If you are hunting a bedding area, you are more prone to have better morning activity.  If you are hunting a food source, you are more prone to have better afternoon activity.  This is a generalized statement of course, but much more indictive than public opinion of deer movement.

100% of the deer I have shot in my life have been in the morning.  Does that mean afternoon activity sucks on those years?  No.  It means that my stands are strategically located.  I rarely hunt food sources.

Just a heads up, the vultures in here are going to be all over you shortly for posting that you shot a deer illegally.  If that was shot in NY, "legal" sunrise isn't until almost 7:30.  You may want to "revise" your story a bit.  Just sayin.

My God Yes!  I could write down the names of the first 3 or 4.  You know the law is the law. lol

I think that was a screw up...It was meant to be 8:15.  Must have been thinking about that other 7:30 appointment!

Edited by Four Season Whitetails
  • Like 3

My God Yes!  I could write down the names of the first 3 or 4.  You know the law is the law. lol

I think that was a screw up...It was meant to be 8:15.  Must have been thinking about that other 7:30 appointment!

Thats what I thought.  It would appear the sentence got deleted that said: "it first came in the area at 7:15 and after milling around for what seemed like an enternity, I shot it at around 7:45."  lol.

luckily Sunrise can vary greatly across the State......I'm sure that deer was taken in an area with an earlier Sunrise. Sunrise at home for me today is 7:03, in Buffalo? 7:29.

Edited by jjb4900

Just a heads up, the vultures in here are going to be all over you shortly for posting that you shot a deer illegally. If that was shot in NY, "legal" sunrise isn't until almost 7:30. You may want to "revise" your story a bit. Just sayin.

Actually sunrise as per Dec that day I believe was 7:07am but,thanks

This is a loaded question quite honestly. Most people don't have a clue why they see more deer in the morning or the afternoon. They just assume that the hunting is better in one or the other based on the deer they see.

What it really indicates is where your stand is located. If you are hunting a bedding area, you are more prone to have better morning activity. If you are hunting a food source, you are more prone to have better afternoon activity. This is a generalized statement of course, but much more indictive than public opinion of deer movement.

100% of the deer I have shot in my life have been in the morning. Does that mean afternoon activity sucks on those years? No. It means that my stands are strategically located. I rarely hunt food sources.

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6560 using Tapatalk

Depends what day it was and where she is. 7:15 was legal time plenty of places since Oct 1

http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/wildlife_pdf/15sunriseset.pdf

I believe the way it goes is when you can see...Its Time!

I thought it was 30 minutes before you can see until 30 minutes after you can't see any more?  Man, so much misinformation.  I am going to have to look that one up.  I might just have to sell my headlamp.

• Like 3