Retrieving Deer Question

DirtTime

What are everyone's thoughts tracking a shot deer onto posted land. I have a neighbor farmer with 400+ acres who has supposedly not let anyone hunt on since another neighbor puke ruined it for all. I have asked two years in a row and been declined. Offers to post and help around farm oh well maybe next year I'll sell my soul lol

Would you track a deer you shot either onto land you didn't have permission to hunt or posted land ect. I would ask first obviously but this guy is never around and since could be a time sensitive issue

Just curious what others would do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was retrieving , not hunting .

No - you were trespassing with no regards for landowners rights.

Your choice of recreation does not allow you legal, moral or ethical permission to ignore landowners rights. It is a chance you take when you make a choice to shoot.

• Like 2

My only guess for anyone saying no to a hunter retrieving a deer would be they are anti hunters or the like, would just go get the deer for them selves, or are just down right a$$ (+)'s. I am sure it has happened to a few hunters.

If I was told no that would be that. After already asking and being denied I am sure the owner would go out and at least find the deer. If it was gone the next day they would most certainly call the cops. On another note, anyone who said no might really get nasty if you trespassed after being told no make up some BS crap to go along with the trespassing. You just never know what people will do these days.

As much as it stinks, there are times in life that you just have to suck it up and move on.

I have to admit though, there certainly are some interesting replies to this one. LOL

• Like 1

Some people can get really upset if they find out you went on their land ,where we hunt at my buddys house ,he is on good terms with all his neighbors and they know if we are on their property tracking a deer then thats all we are doing .Some people like to go over board and don't trust anybody , but its their land so you are kinda at their mercy.

Accusations aside......I do not see how ppl can spend so much time and effort researching travel patterns ,equipment ect ect and the one huge thing they need is too dang hard to do...

That is find out who owns around you and get their numbers...IT is a basic must have when hunting in areas of contiguous properties owned by different ppl. EVEN deer search will ask you if you have permission ...and you are suppose to get it ahead of time...They are not suppose to track on lands with out it. I had to make several calls while we were tracking I also made calls before they even got there...EVERY SINGLE TOWN has a tax office and a clerk. I didn't know or couldn't find ...really does not work in this day and age especially when you have a whole year between seasons to do what you need to do...kinda like practicing...not one of you would let the  guy have a pass..... who made a bad hit then dumbly said after telling you about it.."Ya  I didn't have time to take the bow or gun out before season opener" come on!

but still, if I was flat out told by one landowner, ahead of time, that under no circumstance would I ever be allowed on his property, I certainly wouldn't let it affect the way I hunt the land that I own......unfortunately, hunts sometimes have bad outcomes, and being refused access to another's land to retrieve a deer may be one of them.

• Like 1

You need permission. Wether a blood trial is good going on to it or not, never say how big a buck is if you ask , just a simple I hit a doe or I hit a buck and it crossed the line and I'd like to recover it if you want I can show you where it crossed.

To many stories about big bucks hit crossing lines and the owner felt it was his deer You shot so denies permission gets it himself and tags it . So no size and no description of where it crossed... imo

• Like 1

There's also the fact ( law ) that even if it's not posted, you are still trespassing if you enter that land without permission. Some don't understand that or just flat out ignore it.

Would I be pi$$ed if I had to loose a deer that way. You bet your a$$. But, I am going to be more pi$$ed if I get a ticket for trespassing. The last thing I or any hunter should want is fuel for the anti hunting/gun movement.

I guess it's a risk reward think over all.

Ditto. But it also enforces the pre-hunt responsibility of knowing what you can and can't do and where you can and can't go.

We've avoided some nice stand locations for this vary reason.

no way I would ever let someone else dictate how I hunt my land, if I lose a deer because of someone refusing me access, then so be it.....but no way I would give up my own acres because of what may happen.

I have allowed recovery several times, but I have a lot more respect for the person that asks before the season, after 25 years all my neighbors are known and all get along. Like grow said it's not hard to contact them before it happens is better and a courdesy call before doesn't hurt, my neighbor all ways allowed retrieval but 1 time he didn't ,his cousins just entered the woods and he didn't want us going thru woods because we didn't know where they were and they didn't know we were walking/ tracking thru, no radio communication,or cell. He asked where it entered and he said if he found it he'd let us know. The deer Continued across his property and he and we felt it was just a broken leg.

They may not be denying you because they are asshole but for a safety concern

• Like 5

I mean the percent of land owners that would tell someone they can't recover their deer are slim I would assume, and hope.

This is a question/thread that can be spun any way you want it. If I shot a deer and it was dead within my vision I might end up grabbing it. Mind you i'm hypothetcally speaking since ( Luckily ) for me i'm not in that situation and most likey will never be.

Unless they had a good reason im willing to bet any land owner I know or work for would not deny someone the right to find their deer. A true sportsman and good hunter would NOT want to see a deer go unfound. A few of the guys might just come out an help who knows.

But that's the problem instead of working together and helping out we rather be at each others necks.

Shawnhu PLEASE if you are going to make a feeble attempt to insult me, AT LEAST engage your grey matter(brains) and come up with something original and not pulled out of Belos mouth...have some respect for your self.

Your take on what could happen to get a ECO to go in and retrieve a deer is fantasy...We have delt with this down at camp and the ECO will not go in and get a deer when the land owner says no...My sister inlaw was arrested because she had no gun and went to track a doe..owner called cops..she asked if, after he wrote the ticket , he would get the deer..NO land owner will not allow a retieval period.

I have all neighboring property owners Phone #'s in my cell They have mine on my posted signs if not on their cells..no call no deer period...caught ticket and no deer

That's great.

Pretty sure your lack of grammar and "......" Isn't anything new to anyone here. But let's keep it on subject.

I replied to a post and gave examples of what I was taught during hunters Ed. If your experiences differ, great. But if you decide to get your panties in a bunch over what I posted, then go take a hike.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems

Edited by shawnhu
  • Like 1

I have been on both sides of this one and never had an issue. I have even made some new friends as a result. One out-of-state "antler-fanatic" even stopped over to check out my mounts when he was in town. He was very wealthy and had leased the hunting rights on hundreds of acres of land behind our 40 acres. With signs every 50 feet or so on the border, I thought a call first would be a good idea.

My folks farm, in a nearby town, is heavily posted and is adjacent to a trailer park. A few years ago I saw a guy come thru the woods obviously on a trail. He told me he had hit a big buck. Myself and another neighbor helped him track it for a couple hours. There was good snow so it was relatively easy to follow. Eventually we lost the trail and gave up.

As I was eating a late lunch with my parents, we looked out back and saw it cross the field behind the house with one front leg hanging. I followed the tracks to the property line and the bleeding had stopped completely. I have seen three legged deer do fine, so he should be ok, but likely grow "non-typical" antlers in following years.

There will always be a fringe of miserable SOB's who wont let you on their land for any reason. Most likely they had bad things happen to them and are taking their frustrations out on others. The best thing you can do for such folks is to pray that they "see the light" before it is too late. Their bitterness may cost you some meat, but they are doing far more damage to themselves. There are plenty of deer and they are not worth getting such folks all riled up.

Edited by wolc123

no way I would ever let someone else dictate how I hunt my land, if I lose a deer because of someone refusing me access, then so be it.....but no way I would give up my own acres because of what may happen.

I understand that. But some battles aren't worth fighting if they're going to get you in legal hot water or start a feud. The same deer can be killed by putting up a stand further in that doesn't border a neighbor who doesn't agree with hunting, or is a selfish hunter.

I'm sure you wouldn't be thrilled if a guy put a stand up boarding your property with a shot at a run on your land? It's not so different.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

so you'd rather have that deer die and go to complete waste than allow them one time permission to retrieve ? FYI shit shots happen to the very best ! So you've never made one ? :negative:

Not sure I'd do the same, but I believe the point is to discourage the poor hunting and high probability of people pushing deer off his land.

1 wasted life could prevent countless more.

Edited by Belo

but still, if I was flat out told by one landowner, ahead of time, that under no circumstance would I ever be allowed on his property, I certainly wouldn't let it affect the way I hunt the land that I own......unfortunately, hunts sometimes have bad outcomes, and being refused access to another's land to retrieve a deer may be one of them.

So you would knowingly kill a deer you may not be able to recover simply because you refuse to change how you hunt your own land?

• Like 1

So you would knowingly kill a deer you may not be able to recover simply because you refuse to change how you hunt your own land?

"knowingly"? if I KNEW the deer was going to end up on the property, of course I wouldn't shoot it.......but no one has a 100% guarantee what is going to happen once the bullet or arrow is on its way.....but no way I would let a few acres of property go to waste because of a dbag neighbor, it could happen whether you're 100 yards or a 1/4 mile from the line.