Muzzleloader suggestions

Chef

explain ? 777 has killed quite a few deer for me. One shot , deer down. Dead is dead.

Say you go to the range to spend some time with the muzzleloader , how many shots can you go without pushing a brush or a patch before your accuracy will diminish ? The clean factor of BH209 compared to any other powder is hands down night and day different. 

• Like 1

explain ? 777 has killed quite a few deer for me. One shot , deer down. Dead is dead.

I have used 777 and they are not compable my #1 complaint on 777's is the inconstancy between pellet to pellet I have seen as much as 10grains. If shooting 777 loose or pellets the stuff is dirty! 309 is the cleanest most consistent powder I have used and I think I've tried most if not all. If there is a downside to the 309 it is getting it lit with the proper primers and breech plugs that's not really a down side either.

• Like 1

I use 777 ffg. You do have to run a patch after a few shots, but so what, that's muzzleloading. It's consistent, & I don't have any trouble cleaning it up. No complaints about it here.

• Like 1

Here is a nice article frmo Randy Wakeman on Balckhorn 209 vs. Triple 7. I have switch to blackhorn from 777 and will not look back.

http://randywakeman.com/Blackhorn209AdvantagesvsT7%20pellets.htm

and a blackhorn article in general: http://randywakeman.com/bh209.htm

Randy Wakeman has lost all credibility after he was paid by manufacturer X to bad mouth manufacturer Y.

Wakeman is a joke that's a different story for another day, bh209 is expensive if you shoot a lot, but it sure is clean.

Second to Randy is Toby as far as that goes

Time is money and I just opened my 4th pound of blackhorn this year and I bet I have spent less time cleaning than I did after shooting a box of 777.

• Like 1

Say you go to the range to spend some time with the muzzleloader , how many shots can you go without pushing a brush or a patch before your accuracy will diminish ? The clean factor of BH209 compared to any other powder is hands down night and day different. 

Gotcha. Gun is dialed in so I only shoot once in the field. Take gun home and clean it and hopefully repeat.

• 2 weeks later...

Truly don't think there's such a thing as a crappy ML. Wife bought me a Winchester Apex Magnum years ago. I'd guess she didn't spend more than $300. It shoots well and has killed quite a few deer. Zero missed and zero not retrieved Put a nice Bushnell Elite Firefly 3x9 on it. Pretty sure it'll be along for the ride opening day of gun season.

I have the Hawkins in  45 and 50 cal. I enjoy shooting this to me its what Muzzleloading is all about

There are only a few of us that think of the traditional stuff when the word "muzzleloader" is mentioned... good that some still keep that tradition alive... patch and round ball all the way! An inexpensive way to get started vs. the inline

• Like 1