Ticks

turkeyfeathers

A lot of you already know and have encountered these nasty little things. Awhile back I post on a thread I've never seen one around Erie county. Still haven't but buddy recently found bullseye on his calf and now has early stages of Lyme disease.

Another buddy and his son up north in Massena trapping fox and coyotes. They're currently at med center getting one removed from son and getting meds.

Don't take these things lightly. Brothers neighbor has been basically disabled by Lyme.

Buy permithrin and spray your hunting clothes and make sure to check yourself when getting home.

• Like 2

If you cant find it, order from Amazon.  I live in upper Hudson Valley area and try to always protect against the little buggers.  I don't go out in my yard without tick sprayed clothes and boots with permithrin.

One time a year ago last summer, traveling up toward Syracuse and not watching what I was doing I got bit by a

nymph and ended up with Lymes.

I was sicker than a dog for 3 days, high fever, headache, etc.  broke out with several rashes about the size of a silver dollar all over my body.  Went to Doctors right away.  She put me on Doxycyclene  right away for 21 days.  When I finished the first dose, I asked her for a 2nd dose for another 21 days.  My feeling was that I knew I got bit right then, and wanted to do all I could to knock it out of my system.  A fireman friend of mine's daughter who is 26 has been bed ridden off and on for the last 7 years.  She has had all kinds of treatment for the disease.

Don't think for a minute that the ticks are not in your area.  I do a lot of hunting and as long as you use common sense and use preventative measures you can do a lot to keep yourself safe from this awful stuff. 

• Like 1

I have 2, on 2 separated occasions, walk across my hand while in my tree stand just this past week. Never have seen any before this. Interesting... it was in the same stand. Madison County near Hamilton. I have a male cat who like to hunt mice near the house and have pulled 5 or 6 off him this year.

Edited by nybuckboy

I've pulled many off over the years, but always before or while showering right after leaving woods. I've never had symptoms so I've never take antibiotics. It's always been a ritual to check myself thoroughly and have someone check my hair etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No need for meds so far. Knock on wood.

This is a general shout out and not an individualized comment, but if Lyme's takes hold it is too late for meds. You have to go on antibiotics immediately in order to ensure any potential illness is taken out in the early stages. You really don't want to be managing lyme's symptoms forever.

This is a general shout out and not an individualized comment, but if Lyme's takes hold it is too late for meds. You have to go on antibiotics immediately in order to ensure any potential illness is taken out in the early stages. You really don't want to be managing lyme's symptoms forever.

I've always read and was told by doctors that unless you have symptoms you shouldn't be taking antibiotics every time you pull a tick off.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

If I took antibiotics every time I pulled a tick off of myself, Id have been on them almost non-stop for the last 20 years.  I get bitten at least twice a year.  Im pretty confident that I find them and remove them within a few hours, at most of the initial bite.  Ive yet to contract Lymes (knock on wood) and have been tested several times, just to be safe.  Many of my dogs have gotten lymes, they all bring ticks into the house, even with the Frontline.  Just gotta stay on top of em.

• Like 2

I've always read and was told by doctors that unless you have symptoms you shouldn't be taking antibiotics every time you pull a tick off.

Taking antibiotics all the time is no good, for sure. But if you don't quash lymes in the early stages you are stuck with it. It is almost impossible to get over and cure. It invariably becomes a chronic condition.

Best thing to do is to take every precaution in order to avoid being bitten at all. If I was pulling ticks off my body every year all the time, I think I would find a new hobby.

Edited by Papist

Guys from further upstate may not realize just how it is in Northern Westchester, Putnam, etc.  Here, if you take a ten minute walk in the woods, especially through briars, etc, it is almost impossible to not come out with 4-5 or several more ticks on your clothing.  When you work landscaping, excavating, etc and take a walk in the woods during lunch, you are rarely in posession of permathin, or whatever, and if youre hot and sweaty, you're not putting on long sleeves, tucking your pants into your socks, and such.  Im not at least.

Guys from further upstate may not realize just how it is in Northern Westchester, Putnam, etc. Here, if you take a ten minute walk in the woods, especially through briars, etc, it is almost impossible to not come out with 4-5 or several more ticks on your clothing. When you work landscaping, excavating, etc and take a walk in the woods during lunch, you are rarely in posession of permathin, or whatever, and if youre hot and sweaty, you're not putting on long sleeves, tucking your pants into your socks, and such. Im not at least.

Correct. When I get out of the woods i look at my clothes piece by piece as I take it off. When it's cold I usually only find 1 or 2 or sometimes none. On a warm day, finding 10-20 is not uncommon. I get them on me fishing in the summer too. I guess growing up in this area I just always was taught the awareness of checking your body, showering right after coming Out of he woods etc.

I pulled off a few the last few days, as did my hunting buddy. None had dug in though. Reading and talking to docs, you need to be bitten for roughly 24 hours for the lyme virus to transfer. (Note I am NOT A DOC!!) Just read and asked lots as I am also concerned. Both my nephews had the bullseye.  You really don't want to be on doxycycline unless you have to be.

Another thing to keep aware of is a similar disease, though much rarer and unheard of.  Its spreading though. My coworker got it and was in the hospital for a week or two. Its really screwed him up.  Its apparently taking a foothold in Long Island, and fire island is apparently a hot spot for this.  If you have lyme like symptoms  but negative for lyme, give this a thought. Its a special test and many docs are not familiar with this. I had not heard of this until my coworker told me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babesiosis

Be safe out there.

• Like 1