Gun of a lifetime dissapointment

Jaeger

Hi guys, got to vent.

I ordered a gun of a lifetime custom lever action from a prominent local manufacture.  I tallied up 5 figures worth of special features.

They first produced the gun with sub par color case hardening.  We agree they would polish it off.  I would be paying for that and I added engraving with a bugling elk on it, it is a really big bore gun, to the addition of several thousand more to the price.

They finished the second version of the gun in September.  They engraved the wrong animal!  Put the standard (to that pattern) deer on it rather than the bugling elk I had ordered.

I then had a lengthy conversation with the sales rep, general manager and head gunsmith of this supposedly highly respected custom gun firm.  They admitted it was their mistake and offered to build me a completely new gun.  The sales rep and GM literally signed and dated an image of the bugling elk to be engraved on the new gun.

A few days later, I was told they were going to reuse some parts, mainly the stocks.

I copied the following from my post on another site as I am to angry to retype it.

Now, 2 months later I get an email with a different elk than was signed off on, asking for approval of this new image.

Then, minutes later I got an email saying they weren't sure of what version of the #10 Winchester pattern they should use for the engraving and included two pencil sketches.

Gentlemen, they had already produced the first receiver with the correct, perfect #10 engraving on the receiver (except for the wrong animal image) and with the correct little extras on the barrel, lever and hammer.  I had chosen the pattern directly from THEIR OWN WEBSITE pic in their gun gallery (it's still there).

I am completely exasperated, frustrated and angry with this whole process.  They had everything they needed in their files and on their own website!

I can't say I'm speechless (I'm going on too much for that to be true) but I feel that way.  

It is like they are paying no attention to what we discussed, hammered out after their last engraving mistake and signed off on.  Like we're starting all over again.

Please convince me to pull the plug.  I really wanted this gun, put a lot of time, effort and heart into planning it and already loaded ammo in expectation.  I just don't have enough hair left to pull out.

Jaeger

You and I are quite different. 

A:  After the second mistake, if I was spending that kind of cabbage, I'd have told them "Thanks, but no thanks,".  I would have taken my money and said good riddens.

B.  To each his own, but I buy a gun to use for hunting.  I plan on laying it on the ground or dragging it with me when I get on my hands and knees to get through some nasty thick stuff, I plan on using it in the rain and snow, and I plan on being fairly rough with it/on it as I am with most things I own.

That being said, I would never spend north of $1,000 on a gun unless it was capable of something ungodly.  Some of the best guns I have ever owned, i.e. Remington 870 Express 12 and 20 gauge, have cost me less than $500.

Again, not knocking you and to each his own, but I would run from this company and not be looking back.

Thanks, but it is a 5 figure project not 4.  And yes I did (and do) take those guns out to use.  My little hatfield 20ga has more thorn scratches than I can shake a stick at, everyone a memory of a hunt.  Any "abuse" marks are memories not pain.

I am single, have my debts paid off and can afford to splurge on guns I enjoy.  I fully understand most of you are in a different boat with families (which I envy by the way) and don't have room in the budget for this kind of playing around.

I enjoy the guns, their look and feel.  I have brutal weather using guns as well.

Like you say, to each his own.

p.s., Schatz is a Drahthaar (german wirehair)

• Like 2

I too would pull the plug.  Mistakes can happen and I will roll with that but I certainly expect extra attention to get it right once the first mistake is made and is being corrected.  If that's not the case, then I would simply lose faith in the maker's ability and attention to detail (pretty important for a gun maker).

• Like 3

As said above their are other manufacturers that can build this gun that being said if this company has the means and talent to build this gun and is willing to keep doing it till it's right and exactly what you want then it may be worth waiting for. Like you said it's a once in a lifetime gun and i am sure you picked this company for a reason.. apparently their staff is bad at communication but it's something you have to think about....is it something that can be made elsewhere...do they have the skill to do exactly what you want....are you willing to keep tabs on them the entire way even go as far as a weekly picture update of progress made on it? All I can think of is they saying good things come to those who wait...if it's worth waiting for and they are not trying to give you something you don't want and are willing to keep remaking it just comes down to time. Personally I'd bail but then again I don't know that I would ever custom build something to this magnitude...good luck with your decision sounds like a sweet weapon.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Sorry to here about the issues.

If its who I think it is; it even more troubling to hear as at one time they had a stellar reputation.

Some years ago I bought and sold some lever actions for a time and the owner personally responded to several inquiries and did some repairs, and always received great service.

Only kept one that I was toying with the idea of doing a restoration on and now I'm not so sure.

Hope it works out whatever way you decide.

• 4 weeks later...