Posting Property

Critter4321

Only if the name and address is faded...ours are stamped metal and I believe 600ft max on spacing...most around here are 60 ft...one guy got fed up and I think he has his road side ones at 20 ft now...Lol

Thats actually a good thing..up here in blinding snow storms where you can't tell where the edge of the road is...you can judge from his signs :cheese:

• Like 1

Is it true tha they must be updated each year? And that there can be no more than 100' between signs? I haven't checked any of this, just things Ive heard over the years.

No and no. I post 90 plus acres It's a good idea once a year to walk it and clear overhanging branches and such. We use preprinted aluminum signs that don't fade rip or blow off .

The minimum distance between signs is I believe 660 feet , although I go much closer , and the key areas where guys are likely to cross some are ten yards apart....

Posted signs are valid as soon as they are up.

Regarding spacing, I have a standing rule that goes beyond the legal requirements. Mine are all put up such that as you approach the line there are at least three signs visible anywhere along the line. This makes it liar-proof when someone claims they did not see the signs.

Posted Property/Trespass Posting Requirements

Question: What are the "POSTED" signs requirements?

Answer: The posting law specifies the maximum distance between signs is 660 ft., the minimum size of the signs is 11 inches square and the area covered by the printing is a minimum of 80 sq. inches. Signs can be no more than 660 feet apart. The signs should, however, be placed close enough together to be seen and at a height that is easily visible. Posted signs must have the name and address of the person authorized to post the property. Each side of all corners of the property must be marked with posted signs, so that corners can be reasonably ascertained. There is no requirement that signs be "seen," and in fact, the land is still posted for a period of one year even if the signs are illegally removed by unauthorized persons the day they are put up. This illustrates the importance of seeking permission to enter private land, regardless of whether of not it is posted.

Question: Can I be arrested for trespass if I didn't see any posted signs?

Answer: Yes. Your hunting license does not give you the right to trespass on private property. It is your responsibility to find out who the land owner is and ask their permission whether the property is posted or not. The New York State Penal Law makes it an offense to enter any land without permission.

Question: If a property is not posted, does that mean I can hunt there?

Answer: All property is owned by somebody. The lack of posted signs, fences or other man made objects does not imply that you may enter to hunt, fish or trap. It is your responsibility to obtain permission to enter private lands or waters. Public lands and waters may or may not have restrictions that can be found by contacting the municipality owning the lands.

Question: If I shoot a deer and it runs onto posted property, do I have the legal right to go on the property to retrieve it?

Answer: No. You should locate the landowner, explain the situation, and ask permission. If the landowner refuses, the hunter will not be able to enter the property. The DEC cannot compel a landowner to grant access. If the hunter has reason to believe that the landowner intends to illegally possess the deer, it should be reported to the nearest Environmental Conservation Officer.

Posted Property/Trespass Posting Requirements

Question: What are the "POSTED" signs requirements?

Answer: The posting law specifies the maximum distance between signs is 660 ft., the minimum size of the signs is 11 inches square and the area covered by the printing is a minimum of 80 sq. inches. Signs can be no more than 660 feet apart. The signs should, however, be placed close enough together to be seen and at a height that is easily visible. Posted signs must have the name and address of the person authorized to post the property. Each side of all corners of the property must be marked with posted signs, so that corners can be reasonably ascertained. There is no requirement that signs be "seen," and in fact, the land is still posted for a period of one year even if the signs are illegally removed by unauthorized persons the day they are put up. This illustrates the importance of seeking permission to enter private land, regardless of whether of not it is posted.

Question: Can I be arrested for trespass if I didn't see any posted signs?

Answer: Yes. Your hunting license does not give you the right to trespass on private property. It is your responsibility to find out who the land owner is and ask their permission whether the property is posted or not. The New York State Penal Law makes it an offense to enter any land without permission.

Question: If a property is not posted, does that mean I can hunt there?

Answer: All property is owned by somebody. The lack of posted signs, fences or other man made objects does not imply that you may enter to hunt, fish or trap. It is your responsibility to obtain permission to enter private lands or waters. Public lands and waters may or may not have restrictions that can be found by contacting the municipality owning the lands.

Question: If I shoot a deer and it runs onto posted property, do I have the legal right to go on the property to retrieve it?

Answer: No. You should locate the landowner, explain the situation, and ask permission. If the landowner refuses, the hunter will not be able to enter the property. The DEC cannot compel a landowner to grant access. If the hunter has reason to believe that the landowner intends to illegally possess the deer, it should be reported to the nearest Environmental Conservation Officer.

so what there saying is I would need two signs on the corner markers of my land go figure!! and just for the so everyone knows this posted deal is because some knuckle head walked onto or farm lands got hurt (not badly) and is now suing this has nothing to do with hunting.

I've Posted a lot of land and it don't help. Hell I fenced in 30ac 5ft high to train my dogs. Posted all corners plus every 50ft Legal posted signs.Locked gates and all, found a guy from NJ hunting. He said what are you doing here LOL. Told me a story that he was lost, I seen where he jump my fence. Post it as best as you can and make an Example out of the 1st trespasser you find. Word will spread that you mean it, thats the only way. It won't stop all of them.

• Like 3

I've Posted a lot of land and it don't help. Hell I fenced in 30ac 5ft high to train my dogs. Posted all corners plus every 50ft Legal posted signs.Locked gates and all, found a guy from NJ hunting. He said what are you doing here LOL. Told me a story that he was lost, I seen where he jump my fence. Post it as best as you can and make an Example out of the 1st trespasser you find. Word will spread that you mean it, thats the only way. It won't stop all of them.

much like speed limit and no littering signs...no scumbag cares.

The snow tells the story. I have seen hunter tracks in the snow that showed that guys will walk up to the posted line and then turn around and go back. I would say that in 95% of the cases, people show respect for the signs. Yes there is always a jerk or two occasionally that will ignore the signs, but I have to say that almost all the time, they work as intended.

One little trick that I have seen in the snow are the guys that will walk along a posted line. I have no doubt that if these guys saw a deer on my side of the line, they would shoot it and do the sneaky dash over to retrieve it.....lol.

• 4 years later...