Maybe

G-Man

If you are a hunter youbwould.taken off whenever opening day is, fact.is reduced pressure seems to have really.helped the herd, at least the 2 weeks in gun run a 5 day gun season and a week or two off then another 5 or 10 day, , seems most guys hunt opening g weekend and thanksgiving weekend and then the state land is vacant, as for bow I would close it for 2 weeks before gun.

If you are a hunter youbwould.taken off whenever opening day is, fact.is reduced pressure seems to have really.helped the herd, at least the 2 weeks in gun run a 5 day gun season and a week or two off then another 5 or 10 day, , seems most guys hunt opening g weekend and thanksgiving weekend and then the state land is vacant, as for bow I would close it for 2 weeks before gun.

Deer hunting isn't just about opening day, is it?

"Deer Season" is what many here wait for all year. 

So shut the deer season down during the rut?  Awesome experience right there............

Tennis anyone?

Why does there have to be some line in the sand of either your a bow person or a gun person. I love the ability to use both. The storm last year was in reality a narrow band of incredibly heavy snow fall. To say that it helped the deer population in the areas hit is crazy. The amount of stress put on the deer for that week was probably enough kill off some. Shortening deer season when most likely it sounds like there will be a early muzzle loader season coming sooner than later makes no sense. Last year's winter was a long brutal winter. If your seeing more deer this year maybe it's because you stink less than years past. Everyone just enjoy getting out.

• Like 1

here's an idea.... if you want to shoot a 120 plus rack go shoot one. they are out there if you put in the time and effort.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Ding Ding Ding...........................winner.

I had a nice chat yesterday with a DEC biologist in Buffalo.  Voluntary Antler Restrictions...........what a wonderful concept.

You'll soon be seeing "VAR" bumper stickers in your area.  :)  Keep pushing it; it IS catching on.

• Like 1

They 2 week snow storm kept thousand of hunters at home, deer were not stressed as it melted down quickly, and there were no hunters pushing them.around, the break actually was benificial to them, and after wards the season so close to christmas more hunters stayed home so it was essentially a 2 week gun season..

I've simply stated what has been observed by posts to social media. Many large bucks being taken "120 in plus" if you don't see the inprovement in your area of wny (even those areas with out the heavy snow ( hunters were snowed in at home so they couldn't get to southern tier to hunt these areas either.

They 2 week snow storm kept thousand of hunters at home, deer were not stressed as it melted down quickly, and there were no hunters pushing them.around, the break actually was benificial to them, and after wards the season so close to christmas more hunters stayed home so it was essentially a 2 week gun season..

I've simply stated what has been observed by posts to social media. Many large bucks being taken "120 in plus" if you don't see the inprovement in your area of wny (even those areas with out the heavy snow ( hunters were snowed in at home so they couldn't get to southern tier to hunt these areas either.

As you mentioned, many guys/gals never got to hunt opening day or maybe all of the first week.  So what you are proposing isn't really the same thing.....see these guys would have hunted their azz off if they COULD have.  The length of the season doesn't have much if anything to do with this.  The fact is thousands DID NOT hunt opening day.  THAT is why there appears to be more older bucks sporting better racks, NOT the length of the season.

Lets say they shortened the season by a week.  Do you think that wil save deer?  Heck no, guys will hunt harder and maybe kill the first buck they see rather than pass a dink up since they have limited days.

Bang goes the spiker.......................

• Like 2

If you think last years winter was good for the deer because hunters did not persue them, I think your wrong. 

Even if we say we are seeing more bucks in our area does not mean the winter was good for the deer.  So many factors in survival for deer that one snow storm is irrelevant vs a brutal winter. 

Shortening the season like Lawdwaz said will make the orange army go brown and down resulting in more buck kills. 

We keep losing deer hunters every year, ever think that might affect the buck population?

It isn't all about BIG BUCKS, is it?  I hope like hell it isn't.......................

Unfortunately, it is!! The sad part is that there are those that continually mask it under the deer management umbrella. BUT, it's all about the horn & bragging rights on social media.

• Like 2

I have to disagree with some of these post.  The hunters with great hunting passion certainly spend as much time as they possibly can in the woods, however I am betting the vast majority of gun hunters are indeed a 1 and at best a 2 weekend warrior.  I have hunted many different parcels of land over the years in many areas of the state and even too this day of owning a deer camp in southern tier, I can tell you for certain I never ever see the number of hunters anytime during the hunting season like I do opening weekend. And most all them are the Saturday opener only guys.  There is close to 8000 acres of state land that is in the surrounding area of camp, its damn near void of hunters until opening weekend of gun.  After that I see very few and when I do its a group of guys pushing the state land with deer drives.  What i find annoying is every year on the last weekend of bow it seems these guys all pile in there vehicles with there gun and spend 2 days figuring out where they are going to sit for a few hours and then proceed to sight in there guns around the same area they are going to hunt.  For example this past weekend on Saturday alone there was well over 200 gun shots and a drive around the area quickly confirmed people sighting in there guns. Sure makes the last weekend of bow suck and its right around prime time to be in the woods too.  Its damn near scary at times to even be near some of these state land areas.  You want to talk deer pressure?  I dont think there is any more pressure on them then the weekend prior and opening weekend of gun.  I think half of these guys dont even aim, how can you aim when your racking shells through your gun as fast as you possibly can pull the trigger?  Sorry to say it boys and Im a Gun, ML and Bowhunter but gun season is by far and without question the most pressured time of the hunting season, shorter gun season  and a 1 buck rule would do a hell of a lot more good than AR. 

Edited by wdswtr
  • Like 1

So, all the armchair deer management people seem to think that the best thing that could be done would be to cut gun season, maybe all deer hunting season lengths, put more restrictions on how many deer you can take, restrict what deer you can take and just generally restrict as many deer hunting opportunities as possible. And here I sit in a WMU where they just restricted two weeks of bowhunting to antlerless only because there are just too damned many deer. When are you people going to get off this "one-size-fits-all" kick and recognize that all these restrictive ideas that everybody is pedaling are exactly the wrong thing for a lot of places. You can't sit in a deer-rich environment and issue ideas about what should be implemented across the state, no more than you can credibly hunt deer-starved areas and talk about statewide actions to boost deer populations. There are places where AR, OBR, short seasons, long seasons, short seasons, and all of these deer management fad-of-the-month ideas may be reasonable ideas. But understand that when you say that NYS needs ...... whatever, most of the time you are talking out of that dark and unsanitary body orifice.

• Like 3

They are talking bucks though what's the herd look like is it actually stronger show me a study or something from the DEC that says so .... I agree bow hunter seem to be far worse with sharing the woods it's called greed there no problems with deer in NY I talk with a forest ranger everyday deer populations are rampant everything I see blames rifle hunters. If u want bigger deer antler restrictions work just as well as anything suggested in this thread

They are talking bucks though what's the herd look like is it actually stronger show me a study or something from the DEC that says so .... I agree bow hunter seem to be far worse with sharing the woods it's called greed there no problems with deer in NY I talk with a forest ranger everyday deer populations are rampant everything I see blames rifle hunters. If u want bigger deer antler restrictions work just as well as anything suggested in this thread

So, all the armchair deer management people seem to think that the best thing that could be done would be to cut gun season, maybe all deer hunting season lengths, put more restrictions on how many deer you can take, restrict what deer you can take and just generally restrict as many deer hunting opportunities as possible. And here I sit in a WMU where they just restricted two weeks of bowhunting to antlerless only because there are just too damned many deer. When are you people going to get off this "one-size-fits-all" kick and recognize that all these restrictive ideas that everybody is pedaling are exactly the wrong thing for a lot of places. You can't sit in a deer-rich environment and issue ideas about what should be implemented across the state, no more than you can credibly hunt deer-starved areas and talk about statewide actions to boost deer populations. There are places where AR, OBR, short seasons, long seasons, short seasons, and all of these deer management fad-of-the-month ideas may be reasonable ideas. But understand that when you say that NYS needs ...... whatever, most of the time you are talking out of that dark and unsanitary body orifice.

I honestly believe shorting bow and gun with a week or two weeks between them would allow a better herd, Iowa has an earl and late bow and a early and late gun, the dec needs deer taken so multiple opening days is the best way to accomplish this,as deer will be rested and not spooked by all the hunters. Notice I haven't mentioned antler size or 1 buck rule. Just a way to increase harvest and a way to have the guy that missed opener cause it's his busy season to experiance an opener a few weeks later , or over again, someone said after opening weekend it's a ghost town on stateland, and by the parcels by me I would tend to agree, I believe you should shoot what you want and be happy, I don't worry about big horns as they can be gotten anywhere and volunteering passing younger deer is catching on.

Everyone can agree that non pressured deer are easier to hunt.

• Like 1

From the Link:

In Iowa, hunters have been aggressively slashing doe populations for years at the request of the DNR, which had deemed the herd overpopulated. And unlike sportsmen in some other states, Iowans have done this without a fuss. But now, many hunters say there aren’t enough deer to make hunting worthwhile. They would like the DNR to issue fewer doe permits so they can start seeing more deer.

“As a group, we are rarely reluctant to shoot does,” says Sam Collora, 62, who owns the American Outdoors hunting shop in Mount Pleasant and has hunted the state since boyhood. “Lately, though, it’s become clear that we’ve done too good of a job. Right now we’re treating deer like vermin, and that’s a pretty pathetic view of the resource. So we’d like to see a change.” And the DNR wants to help. With deer populations in 80 percent of the state’s counties at or under goal, the DNR’s desire to reduce doe permits certainly appears reasonable.

Good article. Of course the untold truth here is that a lot of hunters will kill what ever they feel is legal, with no regard for the state of deer population in the area. I have a self imposed Doe ban on this year because I have seen a stark reduction in their numbers in my area. But will it make a difference? I know for a fact that the neighbors will be bringing in gangs of their buddies who are unfamiliar with the area for opening weekend. Brown and Down Clowns will dominate the land for the next couple of weeks.  Gun season is trespasser season for me also. Can't wait.

Edited by Papist