Quiet Opener

Dom

Was in 8N sat and sunday morning. I busted a couple walking in at 610. Didn't see squat the rest on the day, neither did my brother, my dad saw one small buck he let pass only to get shot by the neighbors. I did see 19 turkeys which is the most ive ever seen up there. I pulled cam by one of my stands and one of the larger bucks I have multiple pics of cruised by my stand fri am and Friday night.

I hunt on the border between 4o and 4f. I waa the quiest i heard it in 7 years. I saw deer even shot a doe in the afternoon at a good 300 yards since no one is our group hadnt shot anything. Deer numbers by me are the same as they been in the past. I think its less hunters. The public next to me was empty. I see my from my expreience my father use to hunt with 15 guys. Between those 15 guys only two of their kids hunt now. Kids now a days are not interested any more.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Town of Allegany was quieter than I have seen it in 5 years of hunting there. Usually the neighbors and the people across the valley are blasting away starting at 6:15. This year first shot was 6:45 and I only counted 7 shots by 10:00 am. Heard less than 30 shots all weekend.

I have a lady up the street in dutchess county lagrangeville area that wants $800 per hunter for 20 acres.  I told her she was out of her mind.

She's nuts, Just boardering lagrangeville is Hereford wildlife management area at 917 acres.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/96658.html

And 20 min up the road from there is Lafayetteville Multiuse area of 715 acres

http://www.dec.ny.gov/lands/96643.html

I'm going to Hereford on Thanksgiving. Happy hunting!

I counted 64 shots before 7AM - the exact sunrise here. Many more after. I was on top of the hill overlooking the Wharton Creek Valley and Edmeston. I can sometimes on a bad day hear the Unadilla motorcross 6 or 7 miles distant.

Of course, many were bursts of shots presumably at running deer.

I knew it was going to be another quit day when I only heard 3 illegal shots before sunrise. There was another thing that I paid particular attention to. Since the law was changed allowing rifles, I have not heard one of those rapid-fire, 5-shot, volleys. Something about the switch-over to rifles has eliminated that nonsense here. I'm guessing it is the higher powered scopes that people usually put on their deer rifles these days. They make it hard to re-acquire the target or even think you are re-acquiring the target.