270... Where do you shoot?

JFB

Long time archer and gun hunter but never really had much opportunity to hunt with riffle. I now have a place in Livingston county and just curious if you riffle fanatics change your shot placement because of your riffle (mine a 270)? I've heard of the old timer neck shots, etc. I myself am a tried and true double lung broadside guy but just curious what shot you like to take with a riffle such as 270? 

Long time archer and gun hunter but never really had much opportunity to hunt with riffle. I now have a place in Livingston county and just curious if you riffle fanatics change your shot placement because of your riffle (mine a 270)? I've heard of the old timer neck shots, etc. I myself am a tried and true double lung broadside guy but just curious what shot you like to take with a riffle such as 270?

Stick with this and you will never have a problem only difference is with a rifle you can shoot quartering too unlike a bow.

I process my own.  double lungs if possible.  ruins less meat.  on occasion before I'd square up on the shoulder and it'd take the deer off its feet.  didn't matter the gun.  did it with a 30-30 and 150gr ammo.  last 10 years or so I always try not to hit shoulder blade or leg bone.  otherwise it's like a frag grenade going off in the shoulders.  bone shrapnel everywhere.  multiple deer I've made two shots into both lungs and nothing else.  1st one is sufficient but 2nd one anchors them.  benoits had it right.  keep shooting until it falls if you can.  just don't shoot up the whole body and waste meat. 

• Like 1

The_Real_TCIII, on 25 Nov 2015 - 09:23 AM, said:

^ Nice fat doe but your bolt is on the wrong side, I bet you stand on the wrong side of the golf ball too!

Now, now , Real...It's not polite to pick on the handicapped...

My ex wife and daughter are both southpaws, but I still love 'em...

Well, ONE of them...

• Like 3

^ Nice fat doe but your bolt is on the wrong side, I bet you stand on the wrong side of the golf ball too!

Thanks ! That's a mighty sweet buck you got .

I'm right handed .... But my right eye used to be very weak ( pre LASIK ) and my left eye is my master eye, so years ago I switched to,lefty for long guns. I don't golf perhaps when I'm to old for manly activites .

• Like 2