My Weird Bermuda triangle Type Poltergeist deer Hunt

nobody

This is going to be a weird story that happened to me while hunting deer during the muzzle loading season in area 6G. Now the land I was hunting on

was state land but at one time years ago the U.S. Navy was stationed there takeing up a very small area of the land. I have hunted this often and one thing that was weird was

when you got back far in enough, compasses do not work.

At the time this happened in my life, I was a very experience hunter who over the previous years had filled many deer tags. In the military I was a expert marksman but I cannot

elaborate any further on that.  Ok , i hunt with a 50 caliber Traditions muzzle loader.

Before I go in the woods, I always test fire on 9" paper plates at the club range. To make sure the gun is right on target. I pre-weigh all my fast loaders. I usually carry at least 10

on me.The gun was shooting right where I wanted the sabot to hit on target.

I cleaned the gun two days before the opening, went to the range and target test fired two sabots on paper. all good hits on paper. One I shot at 40yds. and the next 75yds. All was well.

I am telling all this because whats going to happen after you guys read this story, some one will say, oh the gun sights were off ect..

On the opening morning, I parked my car and dressed for the occasion. Made sure I had all my gear and walked in a short distance from my parked car It was plenty daylight and the season

was open.I took out one of my pre measured fast loads, checked it and then dumped in the powder. Following the powder, I started a 50cal. sabot bullet down the barrel.Rammed the round down

the barrel with my ram rod.I absolutely made sure the sabot was fully seated. I have a mark on my ram rod to tell me the round is loaded fully down in the barrel. Set the gun on safety and loaded on a cap..

Ok, I walked in to where I saw a good place to sit on watch.My compass by then was not working.

There was a dead fall that I was sitting on with my 1" thick hard foam seat under my butt.  My view was good from where I was and of course there were tree,s here and there, some up right, some

had fallen. I got very still and started my watch with my eyes scanning always looking for a deer comeing or as a hunter should o watch for deer.

Now here it comes and this has always baffled me how this could happen.I looked good scanning the whole front of my watch. I looked to my left and turned my head front and you guessed it.

There was a dam doe standing broadside to me straight out about 35 to 45 yds. from me. A perfect set up for a shot. I was really startled wondering where ta hell this deer came from. The doe was slowly

eating grass with her head down with her side to me. Ok, I thought and very slowly raised my Muzzle loader.Got a perfect target line up on the does shoulder area. Took off the safety. Made a good

aim and boom. The smoke came back towards me and I looked and the Doe was still standing,still eating. Absolutely no reaction to the shot. From what I could make of this was the deer never heard a thing ect..I slowly got  a tree between me and the doe and went into a slow moveing reload. Ok I got reloaded, and by then the doe had grazed much closer to me Like 25 to 30 yds.. I slowly aimed at the does shoulder area useing the tree as a rest. Boommmn and the doe did a flip and fell down.All right I thought. I walked over to where the doe lay dead and checked my slug hit on the doe. I couldn,t believe it.The slug which should have hit the shoulder area instead went through the does neck just under the head.What in the hell is going on here I though. The very next morning I test target fired the gun at our club range and it was right on.To this day I look back on this as a very weird take on this doe. It was as if I was inside a time shift which where I saw the doe in each shot ,, her location to my eyes  to shoot wasn,t perfectly showing me to where she was in front of me.There for both shots , 1 missed completely and the final hit was at least 4 feet away from where I aimed.The neck hit. Was the Navy doing some experiment tests in this area to cause this effect. ? Dam,I do not know what happened that day All I know is things were not right.

• Like 1

I am finding this story hard to believe ...... A lensatic compass should work anywhere unless you are in a steel building . The neck isn't 4 feet from the lungs / heart ( kill zone ) . If you hit the deer in the neck and hit 4 feet from where you aimed , you must have been aiming at the deer's butt  !  Expert marksman ??? Must have been hunting in the Twilight Zone . Just my opinion .

A lensatic compass should work anywhere unless you are in a steel building.

Certain areas of the state have significant iron ore deposits that can and will throw off compass readings. I hunt Putnam County and over the years have seen compass readings wander.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Great story...strange stuff can happen hunting.As amkb,stated probably the mineral content,but military activity?who knows,I wouldn't discount.

I shot a doe 30 yrds...knocked her over,but she got up and walked away feeding..just to drop dead(never presented another shot).Got to her, no blood no hole.Gutted her no hole in body..but liver had one,found intact slug under her skin with plastic wading still attached..slug had a slight dent where it hit the "elbow" bone....Strange stuff happens.

Did you have mushrooms for dinner the night before by chance?

Just kidding. Strange things happen in the deer woods though. Sounds like you had preconceived notions that this place was a "Bermuda triangle" of some sort and that notion got into your head which could have caused the errant shooting.

Edited by Zem18

Those "close-encounters" with big doe and a muzzleloader are definitely cool.  Your story brings back memories of one I had about 5 years ago up in Zone 6C.   It was a very remote area, and I think that the group of 6 antlerless deer that walked up on the oak ridge I was set up on had never seen another hunter.   The lead doe was the largest of the group. When she presented a good broadside shot at about 40 yards, I hit her behind the shoulder with my 50 cal T/C.   She did not even flinch on impact, and the rest of the group did not scatter from the "bang".   She walked to within 10 yards from me and just kind of stared me down.  I will never forget that sight.  Soon her legs began to wobble, and she toppled over, falling down a steep incline.   When I moved quickly then to reload, the other 5 deer ran off.   When I finished reloading, I slid down the steep incline she had descended.  I got to the bottom and found her struggling to get back up on her feet.  I ended her struggle there with a second shot to the neck.     

A deer..... A hunter..... A deep dark woods..... Come together in a place..... Called..... The twilight zone.....

Just had to do that!

Perhaps an unseen twig or some other obstruction was the cause of the off target shots. And I have seen myself, where deer just stand there, seemingly unaffected by a shot, on more than a couple occasions.

• Like 1

Ok, I read your responses and I wish to add my feelings to them.

Wolf123  ,  That was so funny what happened to you with this doe that you shot behind the shoulder. I did chuckle on this hunting story.  Thanks .

Pulled  (BOTH) shots. No shots were pulled from my memory. I aimed good each time and slowly pulled the trigger till the muzzle loader discharged on both of these shots.Remember the second shot was off of a tree rest.  I wanted deer meat for the freezer.

FastEddie, I totally agree with you on the 4 foot hit thing, yes I did over distance it.   what was behind this statement was that I wanted to give the reader to think (why) was the aim point and actual hit so far apart ???

The statement of the military training I wrote was to say to the reader that I did have the abilities to shoot and handle a weapon correctly .. And yes ,the iron deposits in this area had to be excessive because other hunters in this area that I talked too, have had the same compass problems. These were cold shoulder remarks you made. you were not there , I was and that,s what happened.

Every time I tell this story, I always get some comments back of like I saw a UFO or something. I did write at the beginning of this hunting story that what you were going to read was a bazaar event that took place to a fellow hunter. Look guys , have you not had bazaar incidents happen to you in your life that maybe you are too afraid to tell anybody about it, That they might look at you and say,.. You been eating mushrooms again.  Ha Ha . I understand, but this incident took place and telling this story, I am sticking my neck out on the chopping block.  And you can tell I do bleed afterwards for doing it.

Still I give my deepest respects to all you guys that responded with your views no matter what,

A fellow hunter,

Froggy

• Like 4

Cool story...I enjoyed reading it......I have had deer materialize right in front of me on more than one occasion. I don't have any idea how they do it. You think you are watching and paying attention and all of a sudden its like, how the heck did you get there without me seeing you....Happens to me at least once a season. Heavy ore deposits def effect compass readings. Could a large magnetic field change a bullets trajectory???

I have had deer materialize right in front of me on more than one occasion. I don't have any idea how they do it. You think you are watching and paying attention and all of a sudden its like, how the heck did you get there without me seeing you....Happens to me at least once a season.

I used to have a hunting buddy that called these "parachute deer" because they seem to have just simply dropped in out of the sky when he was looking in a different direction. POOF! they just suddenly were there .... and often standing there staring at him.

I had a weird indecent with my muzzleloader also.. Walking into the woods , I somehow knocked the fiber-optic bead of my new cheap muzzleloader. I didnt notice until after sitting down against this giant oak.. I decided to stay put until dark anyways ,because  my friends were hunting in the same chunk of woods with me and didn't want to mess up their hunts. Oh, and it was really foggy too..lol...  This small buck walks right towards me.. I didn't try to shoot initially, but i think he had intentions of eating acorns under my tree. When he was within 10 yds (I remember it as 10 feet, not sure if that's an exaggeration or not) I tried a shot. Boom!! the smoke  touched the deer.  He did not even stop,look my way, or pick up the pace. He just kept on walking towards the tree and walked right past and out of sight.The only possibility I could come up with was that he was deaf , and or  really stupid. lol

• Like 1

I had a weird indecent with my muzzleloader also.. Walking into the woods , I somehow knocked the fiber-optic bead of my new cheap muzzleloader. I didnt notice until after sitting down against this giant oak.. I decided to stay put until dark anyways ,because  my friends were hunting in the same chunk of woods with me and didn't want to mess up their hunts. Oh, and it was really foggy too..lol...  This small buck walks right towards me.. I didn't try to shoot initially, but i think he had intentions of eating acorns under my tree. When he was within 10 yds (I remember it as 10 feet, not sure if that's an exaggeration or not) I tried a shot. Boom!! the smoke  touched the deer.  He did not even stop,look my way, or pick up the pace. He just kept on walking towards the tree and walked right past and out of sight.The only possibility I could come up with was that he was deaf , and or  really stupid. lol

I think you pulled the shot too

I shot my 8 pt on opening day at about 50yds. I had a Doe about 10feet from the base of my tree at the time of the shot. When I shot the buck the doe didn't do anything except look up at me. She then continued feeding like nothing was wrong. An older friend of mine that hunts all over the country told me, when I told him that story that a deer does not hear gunshots when they are close. (I have no idea if this is true, its just what he told me) He said their ears don't register with sounds that are that loud and if they spook it is most likely the action of the gun that scares them. A few years ago I shot a 4 pt on opening day and right after the shot I had several doe file through like nothing had happened so it sort of made sense to me. I would like to know if that is really true. He said he has been at the range numerous times target shooting and had deer feeding off to the side of the range.

To tell you the truth guys I really do not know what took place that day and that what make,s it bazaar to me.  What I,m saying is,

I have killed and filled many tags in previous years before this happened to me. I know how to line up gun sights correctly to hit where I aim. I know

what it is to pull a shot and this I did not do. I would have said to myself, crap,dammit ect... Between me and the doe there was no tree,s, twigs or anything

just open air. I did not experience any hunting fever because I would have known if  I did.

It was simply just another hunting shot at a deer so I could  fill my tag. Before I even shot, thoughts went through my mind, Don,t mess this up, take your time with the shot and aim good.

this will fill my tag. I was so startled after I carefully took the shot at a broadside grazeing deer when the smoke from the gun muzzle came back over me. Crap, what ta hell , that deer,s still standing

like nothing happened.I know I properly loaded this gun, I remembered I powdered, then sabot down the barrel . Than I,m thinking ok, you still can reload but be careful not to startle her. So I slowly re-loaded behind a large enough tree to hide me from the doe. The 2nd. shot was thought out the same as the first. But when I walked the short distance to where the doe lay. I was immediately surprised where the doe was hit !!!!

Next day I went straight to our gun club range. useing the left over fast loads, I could not understand what took place yesterday because any shots I took were all on paper.

So there it is folks , to this day when I think back on these events that happened that day with this doe, I think to myself, what did happen ???  therefore ever since then I have called it my Bermuda triangle

deer hunt.   We would all look at these events as told as a normal deer hunter would think happened , you hit a tree, the doe was wearing a bullet proof vest. Did I do my job right on this deer take and I say to myself, yes, you did everything right.

Can a doe up close hear a gun shot ?  I would say yes because if I had hit the backside of one of those tree,s out of her vision with a small tree log, i,m quite sure she would have heard it. But, that still is

a good question. Maybe a deer biologist could give us some insight on this.

Later,

Froggy