Moose Hunting Needed .

the blur

I certainly hope that this idea of sueing the government for not reducing animal populations doesn't catch on everywhere. Imagine what havoc the insurance companies, farmers, nurserymen, and any other anti-deer interests could accomplish if courts started taking such lawsuits seriously here in the U.S. I can see the flood of antlerless permits now as the DEC tries to protect itself against that kind of thing .....  :;)

I certainly hope that this idea of sueing the government for not reducing animal populations doesn't catch on everywhere. Imagine what havoc the insurance companies, farmers, nurserymen, and any other anti-deer interests could accomplish if courts started taking such lawsuits seriously here in the U.S. I can see the flood of antlerless permits now as the DEC tries to protect itself against that kind of thing .....  ::)

I absolutely agree Doc

You need a licensed guide, and you need a proper tag.    Then a butcher, and a 20 hour drive home.  And transporting rifles into Canada.  About $5000 by the time your done. I know someone who did it.

That really doesn't sound too bad. The rifles into Canada was no big deal the last 3 times I did it....a little paperwork and I think it was $75 bucks for the permit. When I went Caribou hunting in Northern Quebec it took us 30 hours to drive up there. Nice country but it was the longest trip of my life...lol

All Canadian Provinces require nonresident aliens to hire a guide or at least hire the services of an outfitter... Ontario and Quebec offer  unguided outfitted hunts, but success rates are not very high.. Generally less than 20%.....New Brunswick requires a guide and you have to draw a tag, about one chance in 15 for NR.... The western provinces  have over the counter tags and fairly high success rates in many areas, but prices  are much higher than the eastern provinces....

Newfoundland is your best bet for a meat moose.. Don't expect a big rack there, but tags are mostly over the counter and success rates in many camps are over 90%...

I do not know about New York. But I know in Pennsylvania farmers use to receive government subsidies for deer damage; and sheep farmers got the same for Coyote predation. 

I am also wondering why New York does not allow for a Lottery Moose Hunt!???

Moose numbers  in NY are not high enough to warrant a hunt..There are only a few hundred animals in the state.. Perhaps in a few years, if the population keeps growing, there will be enough for a limited hunt... I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a chance to hunt moose in NY, however... :) ....

Maine has a moose population numbering in the tens of thousands, but many residents have applied for years and never drawn a tag..Chances to draw are much lower for non-residents...I applied for years and finally gave up...I  also applied for  several years in Vermont and New Hampshire..Last I knew odds of a NR drawing there were better than Maine, but still pretty long..

The one moose application I do apply for annually is New Brunswick..I have applied for about ten years and drawn one tag...The odds of drawing is generally between 1 /15 and 1/20 for nonresidents...

As Blur said, if you really want to go moose hunting with a good chance of killing a moose, Newfoundland is the way to go...If you really want a BIG bull, save lots of $$$ and go to western Canada or Alaska...

Ontario Canada has a good moose population if you want to get back in far enough. Outfitters are required, but then there is no problem getting tags because the Outfitters are allocated plenty ..... At least that's what it was like a bunch of years back. By the way, just because you have to hire an outfitter, that does not mean that you have to use his facilities. Pack in as deep as you want to go (on your own).

you need an outfitter who is familiar with the area.  They scout,  they have butchers, they have ATV's, they drag it out, they have hotels, etc, etc.

You really think your driving 20 hours up into a strange area, and finding a good location .... and doing that by yourself.

Best of luck.

you need an outfitter who is familiar with the area.  They scout,  they have butchers, they have ATV's, they drag it out, they have hotels, etc, etc.

You really think your driving 20 hours up into a strange area, and finding a good location .... and doing that by yourself.

Best of luck.

More than a few hunters "do it themselves" in remote locations. And there are few hotels to be had in some locations.

You do not need an atv to hunt; nor pack out game.

And if you need an outfitter to field dress and butcher game, you need more experience.

So travel up there with your band saw, and all your butchering tools, and everything else you need.  And 2 guys packing out a moose may require many trips, many miles, while the moose is rotting out.  Then go find ice in the remote wilderness, and make it all happen.  Yes, you are obviously experienced and done this many times before.

Newfoundland is the place to go...i've gone twice and gotten a moose both times, 4,000 (+/-) for a hunt these days. guide is mandatory. tons of big moose ( i got a 12 point and then a 10 point, both in excess of 800 pounds)

long....ride - from Syracuse,NY to Nova Scotia 17 hours, then a 6 hour boat ride, then 5 hours more for where i went on Newfoundland - but they were the best two trips of my life...i'll probably do it again in a few more years.

this is the place i went to

http://www.newfoundlandbiggamehunting.com/

I agree with you dinsdale alot of people do DIY hunts and are very successful. All the hunts that myself and my group do are DYI hunts and have been successful in colorado, New Hampshire and Quebec and are going to Quebec in the spring for another hunt

Good stuff :O

I've done guided/semi guided/DIY; The DIY always make for good memories. ;)