Winter indoor shooting

Doc

I like to do some outdoor rabbit hunting in the snow with the longbow and a blunt tip arrows this time of year. Success rate is a bit low shooting at running cottontails, but man it's so much fun. My buddy and I take turns stomping brush piles... prints on top of the snow make it relatively easy to find the rabbits. Hardly even notice the cold because we're having so much fun.

• Like 1

A 50 yard indoor PUBLIC range !? Please tell me where.

Lorettos Archery in Collins NY.

I believe he has bags out to 45 and maybe 30 3d targets set at all time...10 for an hour of shooting. Runs a nice pro shop as well...he is an Elite and Obession dealer.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

i sure do. There was also a shop at Sheridan and Harris hill

Sheridan and Harris Hill was "Jim's Sport Shop", I knew him well. He was one of the first guys around here that offered hunting videos for rent. Fond memories of the man.....

I didn't know Leo Baldwin as well but certainly shopped and shot there on occasion. Who was it that bought it after Leo died, Mary and some fellow I don't recall his name though??

I bought my first release from Jims. There was also Caps on Transit near Roll. It's a shame they're mostly all gone.

I completely forgot about Cap's being there because BEFORE that, they were at Harlem & Sheridan.  AND, IIRC (and I sure as balls could be wrong) weren't they on Niagara Falls Blvd too at some point?  Different owners also along the line........

• Like 1

I bought my first release from Jims.

The wonders of the internet, thanks to Al Gore.......

I Googled Jim Kassman & Jim's Sport Shop and found that it's been 20 years since he passed away.  Damn.....

"James F. Kassman, 66, who operated Jim's Sport Shop in Clarence, died Sunday (Feb. 25, 1996) at Mitchell Campus of Hospice Buffalo, Cheektowaga, after a brief illness.

The Hamburg native graduated from Hamburg High School in 1948 and had lived in West Seneca for 30 years.

He was a staff sergeant in the U.S. Air Force during the Korean War.

An avid fisherman and hunter, he provided financial and program support for several area sports groups, including the Northtowns and Southtowns Walleye Associations, the Lake Ontario Fishing Association and the annual Pepsi Challenge Fishing Tournament on Lake Erie."

It's funny what you remember about a person or place from your past.  Jim enjoyed smoking a pipe and quite often he'd be burning some Borkum Riff and BS'ing with a customer when I'd walk in.  Like I mentioned, he was one of the first around the area to rent hunting videos.  Boy there was some great early ones and some real crap too!!  $3 a night I think it was....WELL before all the Hunting shows on TV now.  It was ground breaking stuff back then. :)

Jim wasn't too much of a hunter as I remember.  Seems he wanted to hear about all my hunts when I went in....at one point he sent a picture of me and a pretty big buck into whatever was the state wide equivalent of the NYOutdoors News we have now.  Another thing I recall about Jim's shop was that he had a tannery that he worked with that would take salted raw deer hides in and make garments from them of your choosing.  I sent a number of hides in and about all I have left are one or two pairs of fleece lined buckskin choppers.  I still have two tanned hides (no hair) from back in the day, one gun and one bow.  The bow one is cool because I used a Razorbak5 head to kill the buck and you can see the entrance/exit holes in the hide still.  :)  Those had to have been tanned almost 30 years ago.  Man does time fly...........

OP.......sorry to derail/sidetrack this thread. Once I get wound up, I can't stop. :)

• Like 2

At a family Xmas gathering it seems both a nephew and a brother-in-law acquired crossbows for Xmas. In a short time one side of the  basement was converted into a 20 yard archery range. They placed a shooting block on a table and relocated storage boxes to the center of room. Soon half the family was shooting crossbow for their first time. A great way to enjoy both family and sport.  

• Like 2

Back to topic: I dry fired my 3D bow like a moron so I changed out the strings and cables. Just noticed yesterday that the mod has a ding in it that will definitely fray my cable so I ordered a new set. I hope to be good to go this week

Oh boy...what happened??

What's your 3d rig consist of...and what class do you shoot??

It's an Elite Pulse. I shoot ex hunter class. It's going to be sharp, black and red strings and cables. Looks cool

I shoot an Elite answer with red riser, and carbon looking limbs with polished cams, only hunter class for me...looking to out together an open rig..just haven't had the time yet.

We had a teammate last year at full draw, everyone starting yelling let down!! He didn't knock an arrow..couldnt been a big mess.

At the worlds in Eville a few years back my buddy was on the lift looking down at a guy at full draw, no arrow. He yelled down and the guy let down. No one in his group noticed. I've considered open but would have to spend big bucks on a scope. Step up to ex, that five yards will challenge you

Edited by The_Real_TCIII

a couple shops around here have Techno Hunt where you shoot at a video screen.  Just fun.  Won't make you better except shooting trad.  I have a club next door to my house that has a winter league for vegas spots (20 yards indoors).  you can get 30 yards out of the range.  if I want to brave the cold I've got a good 70 yards worth of targets in 10 yard increments set but can go much further.  i'd like to sell my Hoyt target bow as I just bought a new Elite target bow.  only need one.  It'll be setup for 3D but i'll fine tune it with indoor spots before I take it out to stretch distance.

I too have dry fired my bow! 2X! I did it at an indoor shoot at Allied Sportsman's club. I was new to the league and got caught up concentrating on the next target and totally forgot to knock an arrow! Man it was loud! No damage to the bow, that says alot about the quality of Martin bows! I actually shot the bow for a couple of years before I replaced it with a new Elite.

On a side note, Lawd I recall Jim's, Cap's,Leo's, but I always did good at Nick's so that is where most of my pay checks went!

I too have dry fired my bow! 2X! I did it at an indoor shoot at Allied Sportsman's club. I was new to the league and got caught up concentrating on the next target and totally forgot to knock an arrow! Man it was loud! No damage to the bow, that says alot about the quality of Martin bows! I actually shot the bow for a couple of years before I replaced it with a new Elite.

On a side note, Lawd I recall Jim's, Cap's,Leo's, but I always did good at Nick's so that is where most of my pay checks went!

I bought my Darton Maverick from Roy and plenty of things over the years, he's a good guy too.

It's an Elite Pulse. I shoot ex hunter class. It's going to be sharp, black and red strings and cables. Looks cool

I was gonna build a pulse but opted for the longer A to A of the Pure ,ended up finding one for a song on AT that is black with chrome cams and limb pockets, perfect looking bow for a 3D rig.

i've witnessed or been next to someone that's shot without an arrow or came to full draw without one with the intent to let it rip.  it's happened over a dozen times by probably that many people. 

My dad lost a draw stop on his Elite hunter while we were shooting , next draw i hear him say loudly "WTF !!!" I look over to see the string dangling from the bow with the arrow still attached and the top cam rolled over past the point of no return . We were able to get some pliers and roll the cam back without screwing anything up but talk about a full pucker moment !

Edited by Jeremy K