Proposed Changes for 2016

CFHunter

DEC has actually pushed for expanded crossbow use, but that is not a regulatory decision....it has to be approved through legislative channels (bill passage, governor's signature).....

I think this aspect of NYS is stupid. Once the legislation is pushed through to allow hunting of an animal in NYS. The DEC should be able to regulate how it is done. While this can be taken lightly, the DEC is supposed to be the experts in wildlife management, not the politicians. Also, if that is the case, then how come everybody is afraid of muzzleloaders being allowed during early season. It seems like it would need legislative approvals also. 

• Like 1

"I think this aspect of NYS is stupid. Once the legislation is pushed through to allow hunting of an animal in NYS. The DEC should be able to regulate how it is done. While this can be taken lightly, the DEC is supposed to be the experts in wildlife management, not the politicians. Also, if that is the case, then how come everybody is afraid of muzzleloaders being allowed during early season. It seems like it would need legislative approvals also."

Agree wholeheartedly....but you know how it is in New York: lawmakers know best....it's all about control in this state (and some others as well).....

• Like 1

Back to the topic...how do I comment? It keeps going to Gmail..I still use Hotmail...and I did start a gmail account but they want my cell # which I prefer not to give....so any other way to post a comment? I seem to be missing it....

Just cut an paste the address and quesitons into you normal email program

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

That heavens for the air rifles. They along with the possibility of muzzleloader during archery season has served to negate some of the scrutiny that crossbow hunters have been subjected to, mine you not from anti hunters, but the purist that believe only their style of hunting is ethical and requires masterful skills to be successful. Now, One would think we're talking about that group of archery hunters that use longbows or recurves with no let off, fingers/not releases,shoot instinctively,not with sights and not with wooded or even aluminum arrows. But that would be incorrect, The negative feedback is coming from the compound archers. Apparently only the technical advancements that they utilize on their bows is acceptable manner to take deer( mechanical releases, 80% let off, carbon arrows, etc.)

Now it is the air rifles user's turn.( pending passage). It would be so easy to jump on board with the many that have chosen to take a negative attitude towards the use high powered air rifles without understanding the basic principles of this weapon. Which after limited research, I believe most of the na sayers have done. Now if the na sayers had a considerable amount of stock in a gun powder company, it would be understandable. Other than that, I don't see the negative side. It's not a super weapon,fps of about 1000fps, fpe of 250, ballistic characteristics close to a slug shotgun less than a rifle. About the only difference is the lack of noise after pulling the trigger. The positives no kick upon discharge, which will result in more humane killshots (no anticipating kickback) and relatively quiet. More of a chance at second shots if needed. The only downside is the price.( roughly $800-$2000.

• Like 1

So I have to take umbrage to the above post. Why take this into a "h''issing  contest...I don't see where there has been all that much negativity over cross bows since they actually came into the field. Now granted before that I was totally against them until I decided to "put up or shut up" as it were...and bought one 5 mins. after picking it up. Still I have reservations...not for the weapon but the DEC's inability to engage it with a solid plan.

This is what the post is all about...The DEC finally getting someone to "turn on the lights" while the rest stand around watching...Getting feed back from the people that are going out in the field with these weapons  and hunting these animals. Why continue to grind those axes on the hunters grinding  wheel.

Start realizing that they need to be honed in on the DEC to come up with solid workable plans for hunters.

Stop thinking of ways to get back at fellow hunters and put that considerable effort into devising workable solutions the DEC can incorporate to benefit all hunters...

The negative feedback is coming from the compound archers.

That is the same caliber of generalization as was used to oppose the crossbow. Didn't hold water then and doesn't now. All compound archers  did not oppose the crossbow. Actually more that I knew were for it than against. Why on earth does everything have to turn into a pissing match? (generalization?..lol)

I haven't weighed in the the Air gun yet so here goes. INCLUDE THEM. If they can generate adequate energy to ethically kill a deer then why not? Hell I wouldn't care if they started a spear season. hunters need to worry less about what others are doing and just go freaking enjoy what we do

• Like 2

I've said many times on this forum, if it's legal, it's fine by me. Just because someone hunts differently than I do, doesn't mean it's wrong or a bad thing.

But the atlatl? Now you guys are pushing the envelope!.., lol

Ha-ha ..... leave it to me to step in and break up this love-fest. I do have objections that go beyond the mere standard of legality. When the DEC steps in and lays muzzleloaders all over the bow season, I will be the one that everyone calls "selfish" or "elitist" or all the other favorite emotionally-charged buzzwords that are so popular for those that choose to stick up for the preservation of bow season. Yes, shortly we may very well find that firearms have been legalized for bow season, it already has been done in the Northern Zone. Shame on me, but I will not speak well of that perfectly legal DEC maneuver and I will not be a supporter.

• Like 2

Anyone else feel that last yrs winter had a large affect on the population? Seems like their hell bent on trying to reduce the numbers and i feel they shouldnt go any lower for 8N. Gun season I saw 3 deer at the land. One buck and two doe. Even during bow I saw less does then last yr.

I have a 45min drive to work thru farm country and I don't see many deer at all in the fields am or pm. 

I hunt 8N and 8F both properties had very low deer numbers from what I could see. I put in just as many if not more hours in the stand this year and saw 1/4 the deer I have in the past. 

Next year get your doe tags and extras and just call them all in. It's a bunch of crap.

No to early muzzy season !    I think that would disrupt the entire season

Keep gun/muzzy as it is

Maybe 

Open bow & xbow  season 3rd Sat of Sept. as earlier antlerless only.  

Allow bow & xbow  antler to start  2nd Saturday in Oct 

Allow antlerless  bow & xbow  until 2nd Sun of Jan.

No thank you. I would rather not shoot a deer when it is 70* outside and have to deal with taking care of it immediately.

Here is another idea lets not charge for DMP's I mean if you want doe dead why would it be a privilege to shoot a doe and have to pay for it.

Charge for the buck tag! I'm sure this will torque some shorts!

Edited by chas0218

No thank you. I would rather not shoot a deer when it is 70* outside and have to deal with taking care of it immediately.

Here is another idea lets not charge for DMP's I mean if you want doe dead why would it be a privilege to shoot a doe and have to pay for it.

Charge for the buck tag! I'm sure this will torque some shorts!

I have taken does with Crop Damage Permits in the summertime when it has been 80+ degrees with no problem and no spoilage .

$10 to apply for the anterless tags could really place a financial burden on a person after spending a few grand on guns , archery equipment , scopes , clothes , and a camp . 

• Like 2