Bi-pod Attachment For Hunting

grampy

I'm thinking of getting a bi-pod for my hunting rifle and maybe the crossbow too. I hunt almost exclusively from natural ground blinds. I know it will add a little weight to the set up. And I have a Primo's trigger stick, but attaching a bi-pod, would be less to carry. Anyone use them? Pro's and con's? Opinions? Thanks!

Almost all of my blinds have a milk crate for a seat. So I will need one long enough to use, while seated on one. Being a diabetic, it can be hard at times to hold a steady sight picture. I'm just looking for ways to hold rock steady be for the shot. And still be able to move the gun to where ever the deer show up.

I have 4 differant rifles with Harris bipods on them 3 of them are 9-13 the other one is 13x27 I can say if you want a rock solid hold to go with something like a bog pod because the Harris sitting bipod ain't to sturdy fully extended.. some of the bog pods extend a lot longer to

Edited by silent death
  • Like 1

I have a Primos trigger stick that I rigged up with a sling for carrying. It keeps the weight off the gun, and is great for still hunting. Yes, it does take time to unsling, set-up and use, but I try to avoid any hurried shots anyway. And of course, if you are hunting primarily from natural ground blinds you can leave it set up while you are on watch. Most of my ground blinds have gun rests built into whatever cover Material that the blind is made of. See below:

post-11-0-02550100-1454188462_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Grampy.... I have used a Harris Bi pod for many years, but it is a 9-13" model and I have always used it prone or off something like a big rock or hay bale..It is dead steady and I have shot quite a few animals at ranges of  200 to 400 yards with it.

I have never used one of the longer models designed for sitting or standing, but if they operate similar to my small model, I would GUESS that they might not be as easy to maneuver for shots  at different points of the compass as your Primos Trigger stick.

• Like 1

i use them for a lot of my hunting.  my savage model 12 varmint rifle carries a Caldwell attached to the front of it on a 3rd stud.  i forget how long it is but it's long enough for me to sit and use it unless i'm on a fairly steep down hill bank.  it gets me 3 stable points of contact where I can make head shots on woodchuck past 300 yards. varmint hunting is usually setup friendly though.  for deer hunting I've tried using it but a bipod pair of shooting sticks works much better.  I have to setup quick and dead silent.  I have a pair that goes from standing height to a bit too long for level ground prone.  I can pull legs in close or stand them more upright to add length quickly.  to shorten them on the fly I can spread the legs or tip it back toward me more.  I've found it big no no to plant your attached bipod on a hard surface.  with the guns recoil it changes the POI.  that's what seems to work best for me anyway.

• Like 1