Canada banning wood stoves

They ban some odd stuff lol. Like studs on a snowmobile. In one of the snowmobile capitals. Good thing they lifted that this year I hear.

The ban on studs on snowmobiles is stupid & that's probably why they lifted it.

Banning wood stoves in a huge city makes perfect sense.

Edited by wildcat junkie

I believe that has already been done.  Wait until they ban them country wide.  The US will see that as a good idea to emulate, like they see Australian gun confiscation as a good thing.

The EPA is already going after the wood-burners in the US. Incrementally for now, but there is an all-out ban in the works.

My wood stove is my only source of heat. It's a PITA not being able to leave the house for more than a day, but it's nice to not get a gas bill every month.

• Like 2

The EPA is already going after the wood-burners in the US. Incrementally for now, but there is an all-out ban in the works.

My wood stove is my only source of heat. It's a PITA not being able to leave the house for more than a day, but it's nice to not get a gas bill every month.

You leave your thing burning when nobody's home?

You Can't Beat My Meat!

If you spend two minutes looking into this you will find more info on it and less fluff like you see in the link provided.

Basically Montreal (Not all of Canada) is following in the EPA's footsteps but at an accelerated pace and claiming it is for air quality. Smog if you will. Many of the new stoves on the market meet the standards but home made and plain jane fire places do not. It is a nearly unenforceable law for Montreal at this point and will most likely cost more to implement than any one is bargaining for. I have no doubt we will see something like this in the US but the good news is we have until 2020 before the severe restrictions and the list of compliant stoves is quite long. The sky isn't exactly falling on this one but, what's next is the question.

http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=EPA-HQ-OAR-2009-0734-1790

• Like 2

Yes.

Do you leave your furnace, boiler, or electric baseboard units on when you leave?

My wood/oil furnace burned 24/7 for years W/ no issues. The oi burner would occasional kick in when the wood fire died down.

In sprinkled creosote presenter crystals when I stoked a new wood fire & always burned a HOT fire once every day (when I came home from work) to prevent creosote build up.

My anual chimney inspection & cleaning wre always quick & easy with little residue in the chimney.

• Like 3

If you spend two minutes looking into this you will find more info on it and less fluff like you see in the link provided.

Basically Montreal (Not all of Canada) is following in the EPA's footsteps but at an accelerated pace and claiming it is for air quality. Smog if you will. Many of the new stoves on the market meet the standards but home made and plain jane fire places do not. It is a nearly unenforceable law for Montreal at this point and will most likely cost more to implement than any one is bargaining for. I have no doubt we will see something like this in the US but the good news is we have until 2020 before the severe restrictions and the list of compliant stoves is quite long. The sky isn't exactly falling on this one but, what's next is the question.

http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=EPA-HQ-OAR-2009-0734-1790

The compliant stoves are expensive. About 5x more than my current stove. They're also very fussy to operate and typically require electricity because of on-board computers and such, stuff that can break.

I went with wood heat because it's simple, and for me the wood is almost free.

• Like 1

The compliant stoves are expensive. About 5x more than my current stove. They're also very fussy to operate and typically require electricity because of on-board computers and such, stuff that can break.

I went with wood heat because it's simple, and for me the wood is almost free.

Mine requires no electric and is just a regular wood stove. Weird

The bigger issue is how dry the wood is, not what it is burnt in but don't tell the EPA that. lol

• Like 1

I don't remember the laws, and to be honest, I don't care to look them up. But, aren't there areas in Rochester where you can't have a wood burning fireplace? It has to be gas?

Plenty of populated areas around the country have tight restrictions on wood-burning appliances. It's dealt with at the local level because it's a local problem. Regulation and restriction at the Federal level is wrong.

• Like 2

I don't remember the laws, and to be honest, I don't care to look them up. But, aren't there areas in Rochester where you can't have a wood burning fireplace? It has to be gas?

Short answer no.

Now there was/is a town out in Wayne county I believe that passed an ordinance or was trying to against wood boilers. Those outdoor sheds that contain the boiler and is used to heat the whole house.

I remember a guy on the job who has one and was talking about it a few years back .

The only issue here in the city of Rochester with wood fireplaces are that they are 100 plus years old and the outside house wall goes behind the fireplace and those old fireplaces crack and this leads to,the walls catching fire. I had one house fire a few weeks ago because of this, and one last night due to candles , good for business ! Say safe .